Minty Rust - Day the Earth Stood Still (Unfinished)

Sounds like a compressor or limiter is certainly pumping away there. Everythings being sucked in when the (triple kick is it ?) hits.
Keep at it

haha crazy track man!

ur build up is like 30secs lol, a lil too long imo
subprimes right..ur compressor makes everything suck in to the triple kick thing...

n ur high woop sound is a too loud for me man..crazy style tho, very original

first impression .... no dynamics due to compression or other not giving space to the parts of the track. pretty zany though, interesting !

creativly really cool, but WAY over compressed, totaly sucking the life out of the track, take all the compression out, eq everything so it sits properly without compression, then compress the sounds that need it.... the compressor is for compressing, not boosting volume, coz it has the opposite effect when its pushed this far

but, damn, compressed and mixed down right, this could be a wikid track!

Ok thanks a lot for your feedback guys, I am defo going to change the compressor and eq but I leave the intro as it is.

cheers.

Have a try at re-balancing the track. Pull all the levels down to zero, take any compressor or limiter off the master, bring the levels back up one by one, starting with maybe the kick, then other drums, bass, lower elements, then the higher sounds later. Keep the first level (kick) quite low, and after that keep an eye on the master to see that it doesn't go over 0db (into the red)

Just think that will help you get a better balance to things.

Have a try at re-balancing the track. Pull all the levels down to zero, take any compressor or limiter off the master, bring the levels back up one by one, starting with maybe the kick, then other drums, bass, lower elements, then the higher sounds later. Keep the first level (kick) quite low, and after that keep an eye on the master to see that it doesn't go over 0db (into the red)

Just think that will help you get a better balance to things.

/\ /\ this

get it sounding tight without compression, as long as a sound is not eq'd correctly, it cant be compressed right

listen for harmonics rezonating, the 'ringing' you get with most sounds, these are what messes up a compressor, do a notch sweep in your eq to find those points if you cant hear them straight out, takes practice to noticing them without a notch sweep (notch sweep, add an eq to the channel and select an eq point, set Q:max, freq:20khz, Gain: Max, then sweep the freq up and down slowly until the rezzy points pop out, keep your monitors *low* volume, some of the harmonics will be very big...thats the easy bit, after that you need to figure out which ones are helping the sound and which are pulling it back)

just takes practice thats all, never use compression to make things louder, use it for punch and gettin a sound well defined, start with low ratios, 1:3 is a good start, set your threshold so that the compressor flickers slightly, then adjust the ratio and threshold a little at a time until the sound is 'right'. higher ratios and thresholds can get things pumping, if the sound is equed & level correctly and if you dont over do it

tbh I wouldnt try putting compression or limiting on the master at all until you've got the hang of it, just work on getting the mixdown tight coz that is the most important bit....post up a copy without compression/limiting on the master, then we can get a better idea of your mixdown

i have been blazing the sensimilia, but this track just made me trip the funk out. it makes me feel like something other than human. :S

on a constructive level, it is a bit bonkers, i cant imagine a situation where people would be listening to this. like, i try and make music
for days of the week, some sunday vibes, some friday night vibes, i would think the world had literally gone bonkers if i walked into a club
and they were playing this. perhaps what your sound needs is a few 'established' drum and bass sounds/samples, stuff you know works
to make it fit in a bit more.

your mastering is all kinds of wrong, but i think the best advice is that keeping it simple is often the way to get around when you are learning.
just don't compress it, dont limit it, concentrate on getting your individual track levels in the right place in the mix and it will sound much better.

keep on producing man, my stuff sounded dotty when i first started, but eventually you sort of choose a spot in the existing landscape of sounds.
are you a bit dillinja? or are you more Calibre? Perhaps a bit Bad company? i'm not talking about copying styles, but just finding a place where
your sound sits - something to aim for. you can still express your own creativity, but at the moment it's a bit too far out there brother :)

keep it Dutty.

Back
Top Bottom