Minimal Track

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by looklookbb, Jun 17, 2016.

1. looklookbb

looklookbb Member

Although I am working on more traditional dnb tracks, I'd be curious to see what you people think:

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Catsel likes this.
  2. JoErOe

JoErOe Member

interesting beginning. i like the vibes but could use a little depth to separate the bell and the strings, maybe even a one shot here and their. snare seems a bit lifeless. good eq and compression might do well. i also noticed no hats, not that it matters really if thats what your going for. but cool vibes for sure.

3. looklookbb

looklookbb Member

Thanks man!, do you mean stereo separation? I definitely notice subtle depth in others tracks, but not sure of the ways it's done.
    Yeah I'm leaving the hi hats out of this one, I am going to go back and try different drum patterns after the first one to try to get a steadier build up of energy

Thanks again!

4. JoErOe

JoErOe Member

try using two kinds of reverb, one for close and one for far. volume is also a great way to make things seem far or near. maybe go with the balancing first then try adding reverb second. if you imagine a stage, and how things would be set up their. drums and bass center and prominent, strings probably behind, maybe some proper panning or haas effect to the bell things. but yea certain stuff like that does wonders for mix downs.

5. unmd

unmd Member

Where the bass at? Where the hi-hats? :p

6. gruff

gruff New Member

sereen! If it was me i'd vary the velocities of some of those drums just a little bit and layer with some more hits to add texture/variance to stop them getting too repetitive. try automating some mid/side EQ or popping a subtle rotary on the strings to build some movement

7. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

lovely vibes.

feels a little like a loong intro though

8. symbiosis

symbiosis New Member

I know you're going for drum and bass but if I were you I'd replace the drums with a half time trip hop style beat and add a big fat dubby bassline.

9. looklookbb

looklookbb Member

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I don't check here much but definitely appreciate it, definitely will try to add more subtle movement while keeping it appropriately bleak and grim haha

Thanks again

10. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

The chord sequence is a little cheerful- not sure if you were going for a darker vibe with the church bells but it doesn't really come through with those note choices. A more minor/chromatic sound might be better if you did want it darker.

Biggest and most obvious things have already been said- no hi-hats and no bassline. I was expecting the earth to shake with mighty sine wave sub at some point and it never did...