Minimal, techy mix

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by Vanden, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Recorded this earlier on this evening. Lots of Loxy, instramental and dbridge. Would love some feedback if anyone's willing to give this a listen. Cheers

Tracklist:

Method One - Stalagmite
    Abstract Elements - Wrong Way
    Fearful - Knocks
    dBridge, Instra:mental & Skream - Acacia Avenue
    Loxy & Resound - Fall
    Anile - Dub Creation
    Consequence - Reflex Reaction (ft. Instra:mental)
    dBridge - Cornered
    Commix - Belleview (dBridge Belle Reviewed Remix)
    Loxy & Resound - Depth Excess
    Overlook - Three Shards
    Clarity & Overlook - Chinatown
    Abstract Elements - Fourth Dimension
    Pearson Sound - Down With You
    Loxy & Skeptical - Engage
    Elemental - Archival
    Loxy & Resound - Innervision
    Abstract Elements - Abysmal Depth
    Ruffhouse - The Foot
    Clarity - Fractionate
    Instra:mental - Hunter
    Stray & Frederic Robinson - Thumbprint
    Instra:mental & dBridge - White Snares

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

3. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

haha yes Jack! Glad you like the look of the tracklist

4. skwiffer

skwiffer Active Member

Yes. Attempting a download at work. Internet is so slow here though...

5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Haven't listed to alot of deeper stuff recently, but will check this out Vanden. TL looks wickard.

6. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

Ooo! Saw this last night Vanden. Looks very tasty :) Will have a slice of this!

Wasn't aware of Stalagmite, which makes for a wicked intro. Brings a smooth vibe for the bass punches to mildly take hold. Love the way Wrong Ways bleeps enter the mix for a quality mix with Stalagmite. Both tunes working very well off one another, not too much in both instances. Knocks is such a quality tune + a freebee too! Been wanting to have a little tink with this on a friends cdjs. It comes in nicely & before the breakdown in Wrong Way, which was a cool touch. The rhythmic energized drum structure in Knocks contrasting the punchy step of Wrong Way a treat. Arcacia Avenue does its thing swiftly after the second drop of Knocks, paving the way for the actual drop of AA to come a little later. Had forgotten I had this tune to be honest. Mildly cinematic whispers of Falls into make themselves known, for the relentless drums to roll in & apt vocal to sit well with AA's electronic hooks. Dub Creation steps into Fall well. Had also forgotten what that tune sounded like, but it fit in with the essence of the mix. Just finished writing that last bit, for Reflex Reaction to roll its ticking hats into the mix, merging the low end steps of Dub Creation well. Cornered moves in SO well into Reflex Reaction. The drum beats of both sounding like they were made for each other. Very nice mix right there & my favourite so far :) Not usually a fan of hearing 2 tunes by the same artist next to each other in the mix, but the recognisable hooks in Belle Reviewed push through the hectic drums of Cornered nicely & sit well in the mix. Depth Excess brings its tribal notes to the central first half of Belle Reviewed, which was a nice addition, switching up where tunes come in with others. Anticipating the mix with Three Shards to be a wicked one, Three Shards drops individually & for full effect. China Town brings more steppy madness to the ride, with the relentless bass womps of China Town cutting to the more complex drum structure of Three Shards.

Fourth Dimension moves into China Town for the double drop with its whispered breath vocals pronounced in the mix. Can't wait to here Down With You again, then there it is, with its alternate flavours of beats & ambient vibes working well into the second part of Fourth Dimension. Engage's intro ticks in for the step in it to build, while Down With You winds down. Not heard Archival before, but if the rest of the tracklist is anything to go on, I'm thinking it will be of equal quality & it is. The claps from the beginning are easy on the ears, then the bass vibes sit very well with the initial beat, with the little 4 beat rolls in there (but still keeping it half time), very Loxy & Resound - Burning Shadows-esque...... speaking of Loxy & Resound, Innervision bounces nicely into Archival, for the bass in the former tune to still work its magic. Abysmal Depth subtle intro flavours are in for the breakdown in Innervision, for the mix in the second half of that to work very well, keeping that going a fair while. Second fav mix right there & feeling that right the way through that mix till you took out Innervision :) working on putting Abysmal Depth in a forthcoming B&B episode. The Foot steps effortlessly into Abysmal Depth for yet another wicked mix. Fractionate bounces well into The Foot for its atmospheric vibe & eerie vocal to do its thing. Already waiting for Hunter, as its a quality tune I have seen a small selection of peeps playing on here recently. Ticking in for the breakdown in Fractionate, letting it roll on its own for that 32 bar loop before the drop was a nice touch- brings a more broody dark feel to the mix. Wet wooden beats of Thumprint step at first into the breakdown in Hunter, for the stepped rolls from the drop to bring a smidge more energy to the tune & setting up White Snares in the mix. First members mix I have seen White Snares in & it bounced very well with the beat in Thumbprint. Thought Thumbprint had gone, but there it is again, back in from its second half. Only minor comment is that I would have liked to here a tune mixed on the end of White Snares (eg with a tune either side of it) as it is a really new tune. Works incredibly well as an outro tune, don't get me wrong.

Loved this mix Vanden, right the way through! Completely up my street. Enjoyed to flow, the selection & the blends. Faultless in my eyes. Mixing was on point & eq-ing was top draw! More like this please if you can :)

Vanden likes this.
  7. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Oh my days! I swear you sort everyone out with amazingly long feedback. Thanks a lot mate, in the library at the moment, so will read through when im home.

8. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Thanks Watcha for that. Glad you liked it. Another mix will follow shortly after the release of Mosaic vol. 2 i imagine.

9. The Watcha

No worries V! Not everyone :teeth: I'm sure another mix along these lines will follow from my end after Mosaic volume 2 is released as well :)

10. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

this! had nuff love for this mix, wicked selection and your mixing is nigh on faultless, flow is immense. love how you slyly come along and drop a perfect mix out of nowhere, you should definitely make this more of a regular thing, get on ustream or something for some late night deepness i'd tune in for sure! the foot > fractionate > hunter, loved this section, how had i not heard hunter before?!

11. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Thanks a lot. Yeah I would like to start a series of mixes like Watcha with B&B and yourself with midnight maneuvers. Cant think of a decent name though haha. Yeah Hunter's something ive been rinsing lately. Only found it myself after the dBridge 5 hour set which i think is the first place i heard it. Really want Instra:mental - Fist (Level 2B Remix) as well but I dont think its been released

12. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Little bump on this one, in case people who missed it who may enjoy it...Skwiffer and Agent Smith, you guys ever get round to a listen?

13. The Watcha

:) I want that tune badly too. Its wicked & tunes like that should see the light of day. dBridge needs to twist Instramentals arms about that tune + Machine Made ect. I was hoping 1 of those two would make it onto Mosaic Volume 2. We can only hope

14. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

There was talk of putting out an album featuring all of instra:mentals & dbridge's autonomic stuff, Machine Made, Catch A Whisper, Humanize the Machine and all that would have been on it but I think it kinda folded. Shame really they'll probably all stay dubs, I really want Machine Made...

Anyhow Vandan im all over this one, will feedback sooon

15. Agent Smith

I did Mr Vanden...sadly my previous feedback ability of previous years is well beyond me nowadays. You are a few years late :) anyway...

Fav parts.

Method One - Stalagmite
    Abstract Elements - Wrong Way
    Fearful - Knocks
    dBridge, Instra:mental & Skream - Acacia Avenue

really did the intro well with these tunes. Certainly was very minimal and techy & you are doing the title justice. Never heard Knocks and the first 3 tunes all fused very well together in the mix. Haven't heard Arcacia Avenue in a while, not sure if I have it or not, will need to have a butchers.

Then

Abstract Elements - Abysmal Depth
    Ruffhouse - The Foot
    Clarity - Fractionate
    Instra:mental - Hunter

This 4 tune section really did it for me, love the way you brought Hunter in. (tbh I know its going to take me a lifetime to look for the stupid 7" record. Thanks for reminding me about it. The Foot > Fractionate mix just was effortless in my opinion. They worked so so well.

Last mix with Thumbprint and White Snares was sick too, as Watcha said first time i'd heard it in a members mix and it is making me consider bagging.

All in all Mr Vanden a very very good mix. Couldn't fault much of it tbh. The mixes that I thought may be slightly sketchy like the cornered > belleview remix mix where I thought Cornereds huge drums make take over...didn't; You EQ'd it well, and this goes for the whole of the mix in my opinion.

Are you on vinyl or are you a digital man Mr Vanden?

Very impressive I must say...will definitely be keeping an eye out for your future mixes, apologies for not dropping feedback as quickly as my good friend Mr Watcha, he sits and tickles his fanny all day hence why he has so much time on his hands :teeth: as he said in his comments, we don't feedback to every single person on here, but if new users come on, are happy to give feedback to others and we see that, then we are more than happy to give constructive criticism to them. Certainly in my past experiences anyone who gives me feedback I will get straight on their mix and have a listen.

Wicked sir. (y) looking forward to your next mix!

Vanden likes this.
  16. The Watcha

:D Oh thanks Mr Smith! Have you been past where I work, looking in the window? :teeth:

17. Agent Smith

You better believe it sunshine.

:teeth:
    I obviously have better things to do ya twerp! haha

18. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Thank you very much for the feedback mate, greatly appreciated!

This mix was a digital mix, but I am slowly building up my vinyl collection piece by piece. In my flat, we have borrowed a 1210 off a mate who doesn't have space for them and we also bought a crappy numark turntable, so I have the means...just need more vinyl. I actually started and learnt mixing on my friends vinyl years ago, so it's quite nice to be exploring the more tangible side of mixing again.

19. skwiffer

skwiffer Active Member

Very nice intro with those first three tracks. I didn't notice different tracks being mixed at all. Very smooth.

Very nice when Arcacia Avenue comes in, nice mix with the bass from AA. Not heard of Fearful before. Liking that Knocks tune. Nice, again, when AA's left to play on its own with those squeaky, screechy noises coming through.

Fall easing in nicely to step up the pace a bit. HEAVY drop into Fall with the screechy bits from AA. I need that tune on vinyl. Anile tune with another heavy drop. Fall is a bit hit or miss with Dub Creation, i.e. when DC drops off and there's the drums from Fall still in there. Reflex Reaction coming in quickly to slow the pace back down a bit. Maybe could have done with leaving Dub Creation going a bit longer and done a drawn out mix into the Consequence track. Not heard the track before, though, so don't know if it's a short track etc.

The drums from Cornered are coming through and building it up nicely to drop into the last bit of the intro and then into the drop. Such a tune, this. I dug it out recently, but haven't got round to playing it. Should have put it in my mix too! Glad you've let it roll out a bit.

Yes. Big mix with Belleview remix. The gasps and beeps go together brilliantly! Good EQing there. And Belleview's through proper and going. Big mix. Depth Excess coming through, a bit loud maybe. I don't know if I'm sold on that mix as it is. Maybe could have used that bit where the tune drops off into the vocals for a second? I don't know. Big tune anyway, so it's all right! :p

Ah yes. I've been meaning to listen to this Overlook tune. Good atmospheric intro aaand it's a tune. I like that a lot! Overlook's tunes are big. Need to try catch a set of his when I can. Chinatown coming through quickly. Interesting mix...not quite sure if it works where it was. Maybe if it had been brought in a little later. The build up was nice, but the drop and then switch were a little underwhelming. Sorry, don't mean to be an arse! Liking the tune though. I grabbed it when they gave it out, but haven't listened to it properly. I'm enjoying the whompy bass.

Nice sounds coming through from Down With You (think I've missed a track out along the way somewhere - good mixing ). Lovely track. Nice mix going on here and into the twinkly, synthy bits is a nice touch. Engage coming in quickly and yes! Nice. Building up well with that stabby, hard-hitting bass. Big mix with into Archival! Good use of the breakdown of Engage. That went nicely and into Archival proper! Liking this tune. It's got a skanking bassline to it. Heavy mix into Abysmal Depth as well. Feeling it! What a tune! It's gotten a bit hard & heavy now, eh?! Love the breakdown of this track. Complete switch up into techno and then back to business.

Ruffhouse fits in nicely when you're bringing it in with the stabs and there's the bass. Big. Functionate with it's sci-fi sound and vocals works well. I like it. Nice mix. Hunter is such a tune. Big up for getting that in. I love that compilation. Game changer that one. Was pretty seminal to me at the time it came out. Going to have to dig that CD out for a listen. I'm liking the steppy mix with Thumbprint. And it's dropped. Nice bit of glitchiness. I wasn't sure about mixing White Snares after Thumbprint, but enjoyed it when you brought it back in. They worked nicely. Maybe mixing them the other way round would work better? Don't know.

A big mix overall. I really enjoyed it and it will definitely be going on my phone and various computers for future listening. Right up my street. The selection, mixing and EQ'ing are top notch. A nice little journey of a mix with different moods throughout.

Sorry for any disjointedness in there. I guess it's probably obvious I was writing it as I was listening. I enjoyed that. I don't often get the time to sit and write some proper feedback out, so I'm glad I got to do it with this mix. Big up!

20. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Thanks again for the feedback mate. Repped

EDIT: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to skwiffer again." Haha what does that mean??