DnB Minimal DNB Production Competition - 2018/2019

My man! I want to make deep house myself. Is there deep house inspired dnb I wonder.
You could be the next Calvin Harris!

I’ve been working on a tune but need to check out some of the examples posted to make sure my idea of Minimal fits

How well does the title of your track express the emotion you're trying to illustrate within your track? My goal here is to encourage people to dig as far into one particular emotion for their track, and to express it within that track as best they can. I don't want people to feel stuck making that deep, doom-y minimal just because they feel it'll win.. get creative and push yourself, and learn something. As corny as that sounds, that really is my goal for this competition.

Apologies to jump in like a bit of a negative Nancy but isn't this a bit of an unneeded category to actively score points on? All well and good to have tracks that mean something but:

1) People who aren't good with words are at a disadvantage here.
2) The emotions people feel to a track is highly subjective. For example, something I find really euphoric, another person might find deeply sombre.
3) Would this also cause people to think more about their track name rather than thinking about really pushing themselves with the actual music, the bit that matters more?

Just my two cents there, I believe I'm one of the judges for this so just wanted to pipe in too.

Apologies to jump in like a bit of a negative Nancy but isn't this a bit of an unneeded category to actively score points on? All well and good to have tracks that mean something but:

2) The emotions people feel to a track is highly subjective. For example, something I find really euphoric, another person might find deeply sombre.
3) Would this also cause people to think more about their track name rather than thinking about really pushing themselves with the actual music, the bit that matters more?

Just my two cents there, I believe I'm one of the judges for this so just wanted to pipe in too.
Yes you are a judge, i hope
i was just sitting here thinking about this, and i agree it is a weird category. Lets just remove these 5 points from the criteria, and leave the rest of the stuff the same?

The trick is to never title your track until its finished then pick a name that fits.
So when you end up making a Minimal Happy Hardcore track you can then call it Rainbows!

Just another question here, most of the examples given where more towards the autonomic, musical side of minimal.
But would you guys call the stuff from (for example) Homemade Weapons, Clarity, The Untouchables,... minimal as well? Since it's more my cup of tea, and I'd be making more something in that genre

Just another question here, most of the examples given where more towards the autonomic, musical side of minimal.
But would you guys call the stuff from (for example) Homemade Weapons, Clarity, The Untouchables,... minimal as well? Since it's more my cup of tea, and I'd be making more something in that genre
@SteveR94 and I will get back to you on this shortly

Last edited:

That will be accepted, I agree with you it's still minimal. Expected you to go that way tbh judging by your recent stuff (The Trieste though.. :antitank:)

Yo guys, I’ll definitely try and put together something for this one. Sounds awesome!

So are you guys accepting bop/microfunk style stuff?

Microfunk work will also be accepted too yes sir!

---------------------------------

Keen to see if anyone will try and fuse different sub-sections of minimalist styles together now!

the example mix tune thats playing at about 6 mins onwards to 7 mins... I may be judging but any judges want to put together a submission? I'll be putting one together as I'm loving the stripped back arrangements of those examples!

I agree completely, it's not good, and I've said so. I'm still in, obviously, but that part is no good.
apologies for delay on action, glad we've got it sorted now.

Also, we have a base set of judges in order. Myself, Steve and EvezDroppin will be your judges so far, I've asked a couple of other people if they'd like to lend us their ears as well, I'll let you know if we have any more!

Good luck to everyone participating, can't wait to hear what you guys have come up with!

Back
Top Bottom