DnB Minimal DNB Production Competition - 2018/2019

This is so fking good man what is this?? Never heard of, and it's so good it's unreal.

Its is like a minimal timeless.

Excellent isn't it, ive been back on these the past couple of months and moved away from Amens. Good move im loving producing again.

Check those Autonomic Pods Sulihin mentions as well...

Im not sure where his source is , but here's one.

Haha, ill PM ya alright. Dick pics for days...

I was joking of course?

Anyway, Autonomic was exactly what I have in mind when I think minimal. But I haven't been up on that scene for ages.

Sure i described it before tbh but id say the judges will be thinking about Dynamics and Sound Design on this one.

As i mentioned though, im not judging so im not sure.

Gonna make a start now infact, like this idea where we can use 2 non pack sources.
Dick Pics you say?

Cool, that helps a bit.

m

Last edited:
Some examples would be great though yeah, minimal can be interpreted very broadly
First off, yes I agree minimal is quite a broad set of music, and can be interpreted in quite a few different ways...

...My bad for not having this sorted before I pulled the trigger to start the race. I wanted to get the pack out there while (i'm assuming) some of you have time off of work/school/whatever you do in your lives, and rushed it as a result. (I've been working like mad, apologies).

Minimal, in my mind, is a strong expression of emotion using a minimal amount of inputs. It can be deep and dark (as minimal usually is) but it can be more than just this too!

I'm going to be editing the judgement criteria.
"Likeness to Genre" will go down to 5/40, and i am adding another category, "Expression of Track Title Within the Track" that weighs in at 5/40 points.
Criteria for earning those 5 "Expression" points: How well does the title of your track express the emotion you're trying to illustrate within your track? My goal here is to encourage people to dig as far into one particular emotion for their track, and to express it within that track as best they can. I don't want people to feel stuck making that deep, doom-y minimal just because they feel it'll win.. get creative and push yourself, and learn something. As corny as that sounds, that really is my goal for this competition.

Examples: these HeartDrive mixes are exquisite examples of what i'm looking for! Great find @Manu Forti , thank you for sharing and saving me hours of time! These mixes provide a great overview of the area of drum & bass i'd like you guys to dive into. These mixes are not a How-To-Win guide, just an overview to hopefully give you guys some inspiration.

The whole vibe of this mix seems to illustrate my minimal definition quite well. The opening 7 minutes, and then from 45:00 to 52:00 are great "non-traditional" examples of minimal dnb.

This is also a great example of the parameters i'd like you guys to sit in, especially the first 25:00 or so minutes, then again from 45:00 onwards.

I'll update my first post to include these links and the judgement criteria change.

Does this help clear things up for you guys? Would you guys like me to dig up more examples? Please let me know.

Excellent isn't it, ive been back on these the past couple of months and moved away from Amens. Good move im loving producing again.

Check those Autonomic Pods Sulihin mentions as well...

Im not sure where his source is , but here's one.

I had links in my posts, but they weren't very obvious in the forum styling I guess.

The most useful link for the Autonomic podcasts is probably:

https://clubautonomic.wordpress.com/page/1/

It has track listings with breakdown of influence as well as mp3 and mp4.

The original site I found them at was:
http://club-autonomic.com/

Which is also called out during the podcasts...

They have a Soundcloud account, but only two of the podcasts are there:

And a bunch are on MixCloud, as Manu found.

Very excited now, this is a great, challenging compo!

Sample pack is excellent. Very nice work.

I used the @bhksamples vouchers from the last comp to pick up some Ableton sound design racks which I'm going to run this lot through to see what I can create before diving into any composition. Looking forward to this one.

The "Acen - Trip to the Moon Part 2" vocal sample did send me down a bit of a youtube black hole listening to old rave tunes. Must stay focused!

delivered as requested, thanks to Manu

Found the following while scouting for some influence...

Minimal drum and bass is, as the name would suggest, a subgenre of Drum and Bass which strips down the sound as far as it can go without wholly ceasing to be drum and bass (and even so, the most extreme tracks are often confused with Future Garage). Although there had been experimentation with minimal tracks by DnB producers for years, it was dBridge & Instra:mental who pioneered it as a distinct subgenre with their Autonomic podcasts in 2009, and the genre received wider attention in early 2010 when their Fabriclive mix CD was released.

Minimal DnB tracks generally remain close to DnB tempos of around 170bpm, but almost every other aspect of the music contrasts highly with contemporary trends in DnB; the closest similarities lie with Liquid Funk, with both making use of the same type of sharp and clear production. The genre takes far more from dubstep and future garage, with very sparse production and a restrained feel. The traditional drum and bass rhythms are infused with the attitude of 'less is more' as is prevalent in Minimal Techno-influenced dubstep, using quiet percussion, deep sub-bass (little to no LFO 'wobble' bass) and subdued melodies.

The Autonomic podcasts quickly proved influential, and many producers in both drum and bass and dubstep have begun working in this style. The main labels are Autonomic, Nonplus+ and Exit Records, and notable producers and DJs include, as well as the aforementioned dBridge & Instra:mental, Alix Perez, ASC and Rockwell.

No worries, im at a loss wondering where the first two mixes are though. Anyone got them? @XoXoX roachspray XoXoX
@xiris
I went to Bogota for a bachleor party and my buddy had a hook up with a madam. My buddy been to DR, Brazil all those places and he said Colombia has the best girls. I think prostitution is like pretty much legal in Colombia so you can pick up bitches from the bar. I went on Tinder just to do it and it's like pretty much all prostitutes on there too lol. I think it was like $250 but we had the girls for like 3-4 hours. Think you can like fuck 2 - 3 in that period but they are all freaks and party girls so if they are high and horny and they like you they will do more. Alot of them just like to fuck in general and they are just happy to make money so if you treat them nice they do the same.

@xiris
I went to Bogota for a bachleor party and my buddy had a hook up with a madam. My buddy been to DR, Brazil all those places and he said Colombia has the best girls. I think prostitution is like pretty much legal in Colombia so you can pick up bitches from the bar. I went on Tinder just to do it and it's like pretty much all prostitutes on there too lol. I think it was like $250 but we had the girls for like 3-4 hours. Think you can like fuck 2 - 3 in that period but they are all freaks and party girls so if they are high and horny and they like you they will do more. Alot of them just like to fuck in general and they are just happy to make money so if you treat them nice they do the same.
That’s certainly a different approach to Minimal D&B

Back
Top Bottom