Minimal Christmas Compo 2018

logikz

I Am Not The King
Hello men!

After the strongest compo in forum history with the most awesome finale ever, jojabes gave his second prize to robots777 in an act of utter class and brilliance and our winner ronder put up the prize for the next compo, a focusrite bundle of plugs, eq and compresso, I think everyone agrees there is enough energy to do another compo for December.

Also we had that bit of drama with the most unintelligent efforts to fuck BHK and everyone else out of the prize. What a spastic! I told you all he is on a small computer in a barn in Kosovo right?

Anyway the idéa for the new compo is minimal, sample pack, you can record any vocals or foley you like and the thing this time is that you can add one element of your own, something completely foreign, and you have to specify what. This is xiris idea, you must harass him, should you not like it or if you like it very much.

Does that idea tickle you?

If not, do you have another idea maybe? Totally open for suggestions here, if they don't get taken up this time we are very likely to use them next time

Yes, my idea for this competition is to have another base sample pack... the ones provided are always excellent @Manu Forti ... and in addition, be able to add one unique element of your choosing. I also like the idea of ADDITIONALLY being able to record a vocal of your choosing.

So, my proposed entire set of constraints:
1. sample pack (that will be created and provided to all contestants by our overlords)
2. One unique element of your choice (sample/patch/preset/beatbox/any vocally-created effect/literally anything you want)
3. Record as many vocal tracks as you like, as long as the vocal is indeed a vocal (no beatboxing drums, making weird noises into your SM58, it has to be words, sung, spoken, rapped)

YOU MUST play a 1-shot of your unique element at the very end of your track so that the judges know what you added. So, if you added a kick drum, you play a 1-shot of your kick after the end of your tune has faded out. If its a pad, hold the note long enough so that the entire sound can be heard.

You DO NOT need to provide a solo of your vocal track.

I did not talk this part over with anyone yet, I'm not sure if we can get this all set up in time, but.

Contest opens December 15th, 2018
Contest closes January 31st, 2019

One week of voting for the top 5 tracks (like last time)
One week for the judges (to-be-named) to make their final decision.
Prize distribution Feb 15th, 2019.

1st PLACE PRIZE: Focusrite plugin bundle (thanks again @Rounder RG )
2nd PLACE PRIZE: A postcard sent to you by yours truly (you won't get it)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, my idea for this competition is to have another base sample pack... the ones provided are always excellent @Manu Forti ... and in addition, be able to add one unique element of your choosing. I also like the idea of ADDITIONALLY being able to record a vocal of your choosing.

So, my proposed entire set of constraints:
1. sample pack (that will be created and provided to all contestants by our overlords)
2. One unique element of your choice (sample/patch/preset/beatbox/any vocally-created effect/literally anything you want)
3. Record as many vocal tracks as you like, as long as the vocal is indeed a vocal (no beatboxing drums, making weird noises into your SM58, it has to be words, sung, spoken, rapped)

You must play a 1-shot of your unique element at the very end of your track so that the judges know what you added. So, if you added a kick drum, you play a 1-shot of your kick after the end of your tune has faded out. If its a pad, hold the note long enough so that the entire sound can be heard.

You do not need to provide a solo of your vocal track.

I did not talk this part over with anyone yet, I'm not sure if we can get this all set up in time, but.

Contest opens December 15th, 2018
Contest closes January 31st, 2019

One week of voting for the top 5 tracks (like last time)
One week for the judges (to-be-named) to make their final decision.
Prize distribution Feb 15th, 2019.

Thoughts?

Damn fine, last time there was some mention of foley being allowed too, I think it's a good idea, I mean why not? Both are compo concepts on their own, vocal dnb and make a tune with foley sounds you recorded, but I think they should be all possible.

Foley is maybe a bit questionable, but if you ever did foley stuff you'd know there is a world full of dull 'tok' sounds out there and very rarely do you find a big sustained sound, so it's really not that big a deal, just a nifty feature.

What do you think? I'm into all you said, I'm sold btw.

Any processing allowed but its not the point of the compo, you are supposed to impress with how minimal it is, not that your snare is a pad or you recorded a train. I did that btw, it's a cool ambience to have in the tune. I also recorded myself fucking, I'll upload that if you maybe possibly a little sometimes want just a small funny thing don't focus on this move along nothing to see here

Midnight Suite.jpg

This is the prize! Big up to the man like @Rounder RG for showing the most amazing form in forum history. That compo truly brought out something special in everyone, positive in most cases, somewhat questionable in one particular case, but that was a clear outlier.

Damn fine, last time there was some mention of foley being allowed too, I think it's a good idea, I mean why not? Both are compo concepts on their own, vocal dnb and make a tune with foley sounds you recorded, but I think they should be all possible.

foley sounds, aka, replicated real-world sounds? like a door opening, jet flying by? is there a limit of how many of these sounds you can use?

Sounds great count me in again. Rules are good ref vocals. Foley can be used and abused so maybe a bit risky, but I’m happy allowing it.
Roll on the start date. Whose sourcing the samples?

foley sounds, aka, replicated real-world sounds? like a door opening, jet flying by? is there a limit of how many of these sounds you can use?
could these sounds be considered the "one unique, non-linguistic element" ? or would this be a separate category of permitted sound? I need clarity logics

Sounds great count me in again. Rules are good ref vocals. Foley can be used and abused so maybe a bit risky, but I’m happy allowing it.
Roll on the start date. Whose sourcing the samples?
i agree, how do we really know you recorded it? I can hit splice and get 100 train-passing sounds in the next ten minutes. I think it'll be difficult to steer clear of the Kosovan barn crowd if we start allowing "field recordings". plus most people don't have access to that kind of gear.

Maybe we could include some foley sounds in with the base pack? like 5, one-minute recordings of random things, a train, some frogs maybe, some industrial noises, etc... that way we all start with the same obscure set of noise and the creativity challenge of manipulating those sounds is what will set someone apart?

Last edited:
i agree, how do we really know you recorded it? I can hit splice and get 100 train-passing sounds in the next ten minutes. I think it'll be difficult to steer clear of the Kosovan barn crowd if we start allowing "field recordings". plus most people don't have access to that kind of gear.

Maybe we could include some foley sounds in with the base pack? like 5, one-minute recordings of random things, a train, some frogs maybe, some industrial noises, etc... that way we all start with the same obscure set of noise and the creativity challenge of manipulating those sounds is what will set someone apart?

Yeah it's not very safe, now that you say it out loud, I see that, because I read it in text.
I don't think foley should be in the base pack in any extended sort of way, it's usually just some fx bits of crashy stuff, but how do we secure that feature in the rules...

Like you said, it assumes you have equipment to record with to begin with and then even so the world is filled with little shitty biks and boks sounds, you rarely come across something worthwhile.

I don't know, do you want to throw that idea out? I'm not married to it, but I do think it would be nifty.

It was mentioned last time after the compo was started and I didn't want to change the rules once the compo had started, so I said we would include it next time. I don't remember who it was, but I acknowledge his contribution

Quick of the mark gents!

All looks quality to me as well.

Ok, so ill get started on this pack right now then. Ill put a decent bit of effort into this pack. Id like to see some contributions in here in terms of what to include. Id be open to your own samples being added as well since we are being experimental with our rules? I dunno? Would be good to put heads together on the pack a little? Helps me as well.

100% I'll find a jungle ambience sample and submit to you, I think people could do some cool stuff w bird chirps/animal sounds if resampled.. thoughts people?

Can we get some labelled keys, like a piano or organ? A few notes to work from would be good. Usual drum hits and loops. I like the idea of some jungle/animals sounds, something like rain or wind would be cool too.

I want Individual notes and chords, full scale, all the scales by the London Symphony Orchestra.
I want Amen Break played by the actual drummer.
I want at least 1,004 different breaks.
I want a gazoo.
I want a sample of Kangaroos humping a dog.

Also, maybe labeling the key and tempo of the samples could be helpful.

How about a sample pack with only drum hits, drum loops and bass sounds. And we can choose up to 2 instruments to use on top... either hardware, software or samples and have no limit on foley and vocals...?

Yeah it's not very safe, now that you say it out loud, I see that, because I read it in text.
I don't think foley should be in the base pack in any extended sort of way, it's usually just some fx bits of crashy stuff, but how do we secure that feature in the rules...

Like you said, it assumes you have equipment to record with to begin with and then even so the world is filled with little shitty biks and boks sounds, you rarely come across something worthwhile.

I don't know, do you want to throw that idea out? I'm not married to it, but I do think it would be nifty.

It was mentioned last time after the compo was started and I didn't want to change the rules once the compo had started, so I said we would include it next time. I don't remember who it was, but I acknowledge his contribution

I mainly asked for foley in the last one because all of the Producer series stuff I was using as a reference was heavy on foley atmospheres. I do see how it's harder to deal with though. Oh yeah I sampled my washing machine as foley then modified it to be this awesome bass. It's totally not that Serum preset, just a coincidence that they sound the same.

Do you have some examples of Minimal?

Last edited:
@Sulihin minimal in my opinion is characterized by warm complex chords and intricate basslines / drum patterns. Not to mention a notion of abyssal depth.
I could give examples all day but im on phone. I think Instra nailed this style best though...

Sample pack is getting there men, Xirus and myself are merging our thoughts on this and so far its sounding great you lucky lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom