Clarity - Parallels
Lynx Ft. Kemo - Dive Deep In
Loxy & Resound - Sin City
Ruffhouse - Division III
Stray & Frederic Robinson - Thumprint
Biome - Conscience
Triad - Parallax

Jodeci - Freek N You (LTJ Bukem Remix)

to be honest there's a few slips in this but i didn't want to record the mix again and lose the feel of what i was going for! some ups down downs, hopefully enough to still make it an enjoyable listen. all thoughts good and bad appreciated :)

worry not. other dj's understand and don't mind. other listeners who aren't djs wont even notice ;)

nice of you to say that mate, it's crazy how much a record button can throw you off! gonna record everything i do from now on to try and get used to it

Larvly waking early morning intro with I Fell Into A Memory (even though I'm not a fan of dubstep), subtle vocals complimenting the tune itself. Abscess winds in to move sweetly with I Fell Into A Memory. Slightly more complex tribal drum rolls of The Maasai stomp in for the contrasting intro tune to continue. Captured's futuristic bleepy echos ring in off the back of The Maasai. Ambient transition from Captured to Moonglow & I'm A Creator. First members mix featuring Creator that I've seen & I'm sure it'll be the first of many. March Of The Living builds for some deep string bass to bounce to Creator. Didn't think much of March Of The Living when I first heard it, but sounded wicked in the mix. Floaty notes wave back & forth for the intro of Status Anxiety to make itself know & the steppy vibes of that to ease in to Lynx's tune before. Didn't think much of Status Anxiety when I first heard it either, but its pleasant on the ears, just not my cuppa. Was SO tempted to pick up Le Singe the other day & it vibes in fairly nicely to Status Anxiety. Only want that tune for the A side tho.

Already I'm thinking that Steptoe will work well with Le Singe & when it does sit in it is quite nice. Would have liked to hear the Le Singe - Steptoe mix though. Those two would have got nicely. Forceful Parallels hits with some punch & the wobbley bass in Steptoe compliments is very well. Would never have thought of mixing those two together. Also not sure on leaving the breakdown of Steptoe in either. R Kelly Dives Deep into Parallels. Those two tunes bounce nicely with each other. Was tempted to pick up Dive Deep In, but that vocal about Mr Kelly just put me off, the tune itself is wicked though. Wicked hearing Sin City again :) That mix with Dive Deep In - Sin City got to be my fav so far. Must start playing Sin City again. Wicked hearing Division III in there too, off the back of Sin City. Working on something with that atm ;) + fairly for including Thumbprint as well. That turned up on yesterday & haven't started playing with it yet. Felt like that sat nicely with Division III for a brief mix & waited a little while for it to come in. Not heard Conscience before & that took a little while to arrive after the second drop but. Was unaware that Biome makes (85 /) 170ish stuff. A friend of mine had Parallax, but hardly plays it much. Must get him to play it some more as it worked a treat with Conscience. Going to stick my neck out & say although I appreciate LTJ Bukems tunes, they aren't for me. Nice to listen to, but I wouldn't pick up many / possibly any of them, unless they were a remix. Having said that, Freek N You rmx was alright for an outro tune.

Really wicked mix Jack, as per all the episodes in this series. Felt like the recording was a tad crackly in some parts. Varied & diverse selection at times, which makes for an interesting listen. Interested to hear more episodes in this series if it continues :)

^ big feedback. you're awesome.....

totally agree with le singe / traum, never play the other side. a bit too much wild bleepiness for my liking
shit thing about that steptoe mix, had it cued up really quickly and then the needle jumped out of place as i went to bring it in. practiced that mix loads and it had never done that before. v annoying!
thumbprint is a bitch to mix, i think it's about one bar off hence why it's not in line with division III at all
bukem choice was a random one for sure, just thought i'd throw it in on the end!
crackly-wise i'm starting to get fluff buildup on my needles mid-mix which i couldn't do anything about until i'd mixed out the tune which was also very frustrating haha

appreciate all your thoughts dude, will hopefully record another one soon (i'm done for buying new material at the minute tho... so much money being spent). really looking forward to your next one

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Watcha again.

Excellent mix mate, really enjoyed it, the tracklist is phenomenal. I'd try and write a review of sorts for it but I can't compete with Mr Watchas dossier up there. What I will say though is that I love hearing the crackle of the vinyl underneath the tunes, just lovely and the slip ups aren't to noticeable but I, for one, like to hear them as I feel they give mixes a certain soul that is missing in most studio mixes that are sequenced through Ableton for example.

Have listened to this just haven't had time to feedback matey.
Glad to see your picking up mixing vinyl quickly mate. (y) is this all vinyl?

The opening mix was pretty cool really tight. Got that midnight vibe going straight away.

I liked the mix out of Creator into March of The Living, maybe wouldnt have let this mix run for more than 32 bars when MOTL's bass kicks in but that was a standout mix for me.

I'm going to put my neck on the line here, but I try to be honest as I can, & you know I love this series more than most members mixes on here. A few of the mixes weren't as clean as some of your other Midnight Maneuvers installments which you already know (which is a good thing). But I think some of it may have been contributed by mixing tunes together that maybe didnt work as well - the steptoe > parallels mix springs to mind, the drum patterns for each tune didnt seem to sit well with each other...maybe a few EQing tricks could have helped here, play around with those EQ's mate! I know you have the Xone 22 as well, sometimes when I used to use it, instead of EQing a tune out I would use the High Pass Filter at 12'clock (still with the bass on) sometimes means less EQ work and if your just looking to mix tunes quickly its effective. Certainly have a go with it.

I would definitely recommend just recording as many mixes as you can (even if its just for personal listening) get all your records and just have a mix! even if you get 1 or 2 mixes that sound fresh out of a freestyle recording you can take that and build on it. I have hundreds of mixes I have recorded that I use to work on my EQing (or in some examples where my EQing has been poor in the recording I can learn from what I've heard in the previous mix)

Nice mix though man! Tunes I haven't heard, some I have myself, nice variation. Looking forward to hearing Vol. 7 bro!

Big ups Jack.

Excellent mix mate, really enjoyed it, the tracklist is phenomenal. I'd try and write a review of sorts for it but I can't compete with Mr Watchas dossier up there. What I will say though is that I love hearing the crackle of the vinyl underneath the tunes, just lovely and the slip ups aren't to noticeable but I, for one, like to hear them as I feel they give mixes a certain soul that is missing in most studio mixes that are sequenced through Ableton for example.

cheers for the kind words matty! went for as much variation as possible, wanted to get atlantis and astral travel in there somewhere too but forgot :) i appreciate that you can appreciate the mix's flaws as well haha, will be looking to tighten it up for next time i think tho

Have listened to this just haven't had time to feedback matey.
Glad to see your picking up mixing vinyl quickly mate. (y) is this all vinyl?

The opening mix was pretty cool really tight. Got that midnight vibe going straight away.

I liked the mix out of Creator into March of The Living, maybe wouldnt have let this mix run for more than 32 bars when MOTL's bass kicks in but that was a standout mix for me.

I'm going to put my neck on the line here, but I try to be honest as I can, & you know I love this series more than most members mixes on here. A few of the mixes weren't as clean as some of your other Midnight Maneuvers installments which you already know (which is a good thing). But I think some of it may have been contributed by mixing tunes together that maybe didnt work as well - the steptoe > parallels mix springs to mind, the drum patterns for each tune didnt seem to sit well with each other...maybe a few EQing tricks could have helped here, play around with those EQ's mate! I know you have the Xone 22 as well, sometimes when I used to use it, instead of EQing a tune out I would use the High Pass Filter at 12'clock (still with the bass on) sometimes means less EQ work and if your just looking to mix tunes quickly its effective. Certainly have a go with it.

I would definitely recommend just recording as many mixes as you can (even if its just for personal listening) get all your records and just have a mix! even if you get 1 or 2 mixes that sound fresh out of a freestyle recording you can take that and build on it. I have hundreds of mixes I have recorded that I use to work on my EQing (or in some examples where my EQing has been poor in the recording I can learn from what I've heard in the previous mix)

Nice mix though man! Tunes I haven't heard, some I have myself, nice variation. Looking forward to hearing Vol. 7 bro!

Big ups Jack.

big ups for the feedback stu, as i said all feedback is good. that creator mix did drag on for sure, i wanted MOTL to poke through over the vocals so had to wait until they came through again, was a bit of a long one. with the steptoe > parallels mix i had never mixed the two before, was on the fly and i could hear the kicks in the latter not sitting very well, think thats where the filters need to come in. i had never used the filters really, so im guessing the low pass is for subs and high pass for the highs like drums etc? it's difficult hearing the difference through my average speakers so im gonna experiment and listen back to recordings through headphones, definitely gonna try and incorporate those tho yeah!

tis all vinyl yep :)

thanks for checking mang!

This is a really nice mix mate, had a listen last night. Interested to know how you had creator and thumbprint before their release. Big ups for it being all vinyl as well!

crackly-wise i'm starting to get fluff buildup on my needles mid-mix which i couldn't do anything about until i'd mixed out the tune which was also very frustrating haha

appreciate all your thoughts dude, will hopefully record another one soon (i'm done for buying new material at the minute tho... so much money being spent). really looking forward to your next one

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Watcha again.

No worries man! One of the downsides to mixing on vinyl that I have to tend to as well. I like it occasionally likely Matty28 said, but try to do without it if I can. Not going to teach you to suck eggs & that... clean your vinyl before a mix ect, but you can only de-fluff a styli after every mix like you said.

Ran through a majority of mixes that would suit B&B 3 at the weekend. There is a lot there, just need to piece a large handful of tunes together to tie it all in. I have about 5 projects bubbling at the moment, all waiting for the odd tune / few tunes here & there to put the icing on the cakes ;)

Interested to know how you had creator and thumbprint before their release.

Ask in the right places & the vinyls will turn up early ;) I had a copy of Creator & Thumbprint turn up on Saturday too

Last edited:
I always listen to your midnight manoeuvres series man, as its always a wicked insight into this style man, rarely feedback as I can only usually recognised about 20% of the track list but yeh thats a good thing! Keep em coming man.

Lovely melodic mix once again Jack, although went in fairly hard for the middle section.
Gotta admit my fave mixes where the dubstep bits at the beginning, I Fell Into Memory with the Abscess tease was brilliant, really bought something else to that eleven8 tune. (who is one of my fave producers at the min, guys gunna be massive this year)
Incoming Maasai's tribally growly goodness and I love how you let IFIM's atmospherics come through, sounded wicked. Flawless mixing as well.
Creator into March of the Living was good, although I got a love hate thing with Lynx's tunes and im afraid MOTL is one I dont really like! Personal thing though really.
Slight slip on the Tokyo Prose tune but fixed in seconds, no worries!
Then came the best track of the whole mix really, Le Singe is just fucking fantastic, that breakdown, GEEEZ, fave tune at the min by a mile and im so jealous you have it on vinyl. Steptoe is a track I hardly play and im not sure why, sick bit, dat bass.
Going in hard for the next few mixes, sounded nice, heard that Lynx Kemo bit on the different podcast didnt even know it was out yet.
Thumbprint, Conscience, Parallax was a tasty tasty mix, Conscience is such a sick tune need to bag that one asap. Track selection here was wicked as well, all tunes had the same sort of clean style, mixed really well.
Then the outro, not heard this one in ages! Loved it man.
All in all another great mix, always look forward to these as I never know how you're gunna go in, track selection is always a surprise yet on point every time. Big one Jack

Back
Top Bottom