MIDI or audio???

Katz_Dj

been browsing youtube n other sites trying to scrub up on my producution and i hear a lot of these guys say that u sound build up ure samples from sample packs and work with audio ect.

but surely its better to create ure own sounds using the synths or not???

pretty new to production so bit unsure what 2 do

whats every1s take on this??

thanks

Last edited:
Synthesis or Audio.
Midi is just information sent to a sampler/synthesizer, to play either audio samples or synthesised sounds.
Both, to be honest. Choose a daw that can handle midi and audio.
Drums, really you want audio samples to begin with. (easier)
For your bass, melodies, if you want to be good at producing you need to get the hang of making your own sounds, although you could get by using samples (think Chinese banquet in a bag/ chuck it in the microwave and you're done)

Synthesis or Audio.
Midi is just information sent to a sampler/synthesizer, to play either audio samples or synthesised sounds.
Both, to be honest. Choose a daw that can handle midi and audio.
Drums, really you want audio samples to begin with. (easier)
For your bass, melodies, if you want to be good at producing you need to get the hang of making your own sounds, although you could get by using samples (think Chinese banquet in a bag/ chuck it in the microwave and you're done)

Best analogy ever!!!!

Down to preference, and musical background

I personally only use audio for drum and vocal samples, and do all musical elements of a track with midi and synthesesis, that's because I've had some experience writing music, for projects like bands etc. and I find it a lot more satisfying and I find musical samples very restrictive, and writing and making your own motifs gives you a lot more control over how you want the track to sound, as you can manipulate all the rhythm, velocity and harmony to get a nice melodic sound

also if you make a song just from samples, for me, it feels too reminiscent of using loop programs like ejay dance or whatever it was called that you got free with boxes of shreddies, which require not talent or inspiration

Down to preference, and musical background

I personally only use audio for drum and vocal samples, and do all musical elements of a track with midi and synthesesis, that's because I've had some experience writing music, for projects like bands etc. and I find it a lot more satisfying and I find musical samples very restrictive, and writing and making your own motifs gives you a lot more control over how you want the track to sound, as you can manipulate all the rhythm, velocity and harmony to get a nice melodic sound

also if you make a song just from samples, for me, it feels too reminiscent of using loop programs like ejay dance or whatever it was called that you got free with boxes of shreddies, which require not talent or inspiration

I dont entirely disagree with this sentiment, although, there is a lot more to sampling than just recording sounds.

Creative sampling is what its all about. I used to be the same as you.I believed that using pre packaged, or pre made loops was "cheating" but its actually not. it depends how you use them.
I use samples for loads of stuff these days.. eg, I might use a danny byrd drumloop, and turn it into an atmosphere, thru creative use of chopping, fx, etc.

The same argument could be used for using factory presets in a softsynth too.

Regardless, clever use of midi instruments, and audio is what you need to aim for. and creativity might come from a sample or a synth

Creative sampling is what its all about

Totally agree - Look at the drums in most DNB tunes
It's breaks & samples that are edited & layered to make something fresh that is your own
been browsing youtube n other sites trying to scrub up on my producution and i hear a lot of these guys say that u sound build up ure samples from sample packs and work with audio ect.

but surely its better to create ure own sounds using the synths or not???
Get the best of both worlds & mix audio & midi together
You generally want to stick to audio when arranging drums/perc
& use midi for bass/melody.However There is no set rule to stick to.

each to their own really, do what you're comfortable with when you're comfortable using it - if that makes sense. although i'm sure it doesn't.

just play around man. everyone will tell you a different way of working, and that's the key. finding what's good for you.

also, big up the hornchurch crew! where bouts in hornchurch you from bud?

Back
Top Bottom