MIDI Keyboard

DJVendetta

Hi,
I want to invest in a midi keyboard for production, any advice on which one to get? The cheaper the better really, I've had a look at the Korg NanoKEY which is only £30. Is it any good?

Thanks

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
I use the Maudio Ozone jobber. Cost me around £90 on ebay (about 5 years ago) and does the job well.

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
Under 50 pounds? Not much choice then, some simple MIDI Keyboards will already be 100 pounds if you want a good one.
Maybe an M-Audio Oxygen 25, which will cost you about 100 pounds.

But still I would invest in something more expensive, like the M-Audio Axiom 49 or a Novation in the same price range.
Lot more possibilities and you'll be able to use it much longer without thinking about buying a better MIDI controller.

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
Yeah £50 is not enough tbh... You might find something used without any knobs or other controllers (just the keys) but new, not a chance.

Better go test the nanokeys and some others first in a musicians shop if possible so you can see the difference. If you're still into it, sure why not.

DJVendetta

What are the knobs for on the keyboards? I was thinking of just getting one without any knobs or anything, just so I can do the piano roll easier.

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
i got an oxygen 49 key for about 60 - its fine for me
as for the knobs - you can assign them to items in your DAW and then you can record your movements on them - instead of drawing in automations.

DJVendetta

i got an oxygen 49 key for about 60 - its fine for me
as for the knobs - you can assign them to items in your DAW and then you can record your movements on them - instead of drawing in automations.

Okay, I understand. I haven't got to learning automation etc yet.

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
What are the knobs for on the keyboards? I was thinking of just getting one without any knobs or anything, just so I can do the piano roll easier.

you can assign stuff to the knobs mate. Like cut offs, releases etc etc. Its deffo worth spending a little more if possible. Upta you tho, but im not aware of many cheepy ones

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
I would wait and invest a little more. You'll have a lot more profit from that than buying the most cheap ass MIDI controller.

Top Bottom