Midi Controller or Turntables?

shynes13

hi :wave:

im in need of a dj setup, but im stuck at the moment between getting a MIDI controller (probably Numark Omni Control) or a set of decks and a mixer from ebay or something.
This will be my first setup, although i am already quite experienced on turntables, with alot of my mates djing for clubs etc. It seems like the controller would be the more sensible option, as it would easily connect to my laptop and i already have the Virtual DJ, and you dont have to buy vinyls, and it is smaller, but i havent actually used one yet, and i just dont know if it will have the same feel or control as turntables. Any help or opinions would be nice :):):):) (Im willing to spend about £280 max)

Cheers :D

Well obviously theres nothing better than a set of proper turntables or cd decks but theres nothing wrong with a midi controller, I myself was planning on getting one and might still do as cash is abit shit and I need a nice wad of doh for top notch cd decks. They look simpe to use, very portable, take up feck all space and has everything including assignable effects, loops etc for a good mix, though dont take my word as I havnt got one lol. But id say go for it!

nothing will ever feel like real tts, so you will have to learn to dj in a different way if u get the control (and im sure u realize how tiny the jogwheels on most of those things are too). i have torq (the strike against it is stability issues), and the control vinyl setup is ok, but even then, nothing beats real vinyl.

messing w/ torq and controlling it w/ my midi keyboard is more fun than using the control vinyls :P

but mixing real vinyls is even more fun than that. :P

ok thanks for the advice, i think ill do a bit more research on the controllers, and keep an eye out for good deals on decks, any reccomendations (apart from the obvious technics 1210s, which i have used a lot and love, but are quite expensive) i want a direct drive pair, that are preferably easy to transport, and i dnt mind buyin second hand if i can find a good ennuff deal

thanks again :):):)

Make yourself one of these:
harddrive-controller1.jpg

yeah if you're going down the midi route save up and get traktor.. so much better than vdj. I've got a Hercules DJ Console RMX, I would never have been able to afford to keep a vinyl collection and i didnt want to spend a fuckload on some cdjs so midi was the best option for me.

MIDI controllers are good if you're on a budget (the vestax vci100 is a pretty high end controller and costs 300 quid or so, compare that to at least 500 per deck for good pioneer cdjs and then the mixer too, MIDI is definately cheaper). My Hercules is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, and once you've used it a bit you can put down some pretty creative mixes with loops, samples as well as the usual drops, double drops etc. The only bad thing I would say about MIDI controllers is you can't really "learn" the technical side of djing (i.e. beatmatching) very easily. I've just about got manual beatmatching on my hercules, but because midi controllers are designed for you to just press sync, the pitch faders are pretty shoddy. I can't really comment on the 'feel' and fun of mixing vinyl, I really enjoy mixing on the hercules, but theres definately more a visual element for crowds etc if you play vinyl.

ok thanks mate, the omni control is very similar to tha hercules rmx so i think im goin to get a midi controller and get used to that, and then when ive got enough money ill probably get sum decks aswell :):):)

Back
Top Bottom