Midi Controller Keyboard

Discussion in 'Production' started by jack2290, Apr 1, 2012.

1. jack2290

jack2290 Member

Just in the process of getting started on production. Unsure what general features i should be looking out for when buying a midi controller. Only looking to spend about 100 quid unless that really wouldn't be enough, literally clueless so would appreciate anyone's advice!

Cheers

2. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

3. jack2290

jack2290 Member

Yeah that kind of thing, a mate did mention to go for something by M-Audio as it happens. If your happy with it that's good enough for me (very nice tune in your sig)

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Yeah I got an M-Audio Oxygen 25 for Christmas and I highly recommend them! Strong, light and durable. No power supply (it powers directly from the USB) and knobs and sliders to toy with too!

5. mnw

mnw New Member

M-Audio seems to be a pretty popular brand for midi keyboards; I'm picking up one of their Axiom 49's, although that might be out of your price range.

Features that I'm looking for are large enough keys (i.e. no mini keys) that have a somewhat realistic touch and a couple knobs and sliders to connect to my DAW to automate parameters and what-not. Hope that helps, as I am just starting out too!

6. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

Cheers mate.

Yeah it's a nice controller for the price. Lots of knobs and twiddily things & the keys are surprisingly responsive.

7. Prideinyouride

Prideinyouride Member

I got the oxygen25. They've hit the nail on the head. Small, strong, flexible and convenient and for under £80!! Perfect for basslines and small melodies.

8. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

just ordered this too, stupidly ordered it off another site for 117 tho....

oh well... used to have a 49 key one but gave it to a mate, again like an idiot cos i didnt see the need for it.

now i want one again and need the 49 keys really.... want to be able to play it like a piano,

9. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

I bagged the Oxygen 25 from some local guy off ebay for £50. If youre dilligent on the second hand sites you can bag one for under £40.

10. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

Been looking at getting one of these for some time, since ive started making more advanced massive patches and utilising the macro controls, ive discovered its a pain having to record each on, would love to be able to assign knobs on a keyboard to different things and play with them while im banging away on the keys.

My question is this, if i buy one of these do i need anything else fancy to hook it up to my computer and daw, like an audio interface or special soundcard?

Ive heard audio interfaces and external soundcards discussed a fair bit on this site, but im clueless as to what their for. Just dont want to go down the midi keyboard route to find ive gota layout another few hundered quid to hook it up.

11. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

If you buy an M-Audio product, you literally just plug it in via the usb cable, and it'll automatically install the drivers onto your PC. Then when you open up your DAW you may have to connect it via preferences for the 1st use but after that it should recognise it each time.

I got one for xmas, just plugged it in, opened up ableton, loaded up a sound, armed the midi play function on the sound, hit a key and hey presto......sound!

12. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

ok cheers for the reply fletch, il probs end up going with an m audio 25, they look the dogs and aint guna break the bank. guna have to start saving the pennies up

13. Southern

Southern Member

It you want a really cut down keyboard controller, give the Akai LPK25 a look. Only about £45 but without the added tweakable knobs.