mid 90ies DnB and Jazz Fusion

zeroec

This is something that has always fascinated me, because Jazz Fusion or even Jazz is a music genre i have more or less zero knowledge of.

There was a documentary about DnB/Jungle in the 90ies called Lost in music. I had it on a VHS tape and it was like my bible, because that was before the internet.

In this doc is a sequence with Source Direct and they play a jazz fusion song, naming it an inspiration to the way the sounds are intertwined.
So i did a bit of research and found out, that record is Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions.

Here is a link to that scene on youtube:

So i began checking out Lonnie Liston Smith albums and very quickly recognised a bunch of well known (sampled) sounds.
Also i was blown away by the music. Absolutely beautiful 70ies music you should all check out !

So for example, there is
'Roni Size - Its a jazz thing' in 'Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes - Shadows'
The riff from 'JMJ & Richie - Free La Funk (PFM Rmx)' is in Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes - Starlight & You'

Does anybody know more jazz fusion sample sources like this ?
I know that 'Photek - Rings around Saturn' is sampled from 'Astral travelling by Pharao Sanders' and im sure the beginning of 'Bitches Brew by Miles Davis' has been sampled,
but i cant quite recall by whom.
Also 'Adam F - Circles' is basically 'Westchester Lady by Bob James'.

Last edited:
Lonnie liston Smith is a don. got pretty much all his stuff, Silhouettes from 84 is my fav album. loads of hip hop tunes sample his catalog as well...

Icons sampled that Westchester lady riff before Adam f, forget which tune it was. Something off emotions with intellect.

You need to check out State of the art recordings catalog those guys were miles ahead of anyone else with the jazz sound:

Peshay also with stuff form the miles from home LP:

PS if you want DNB sample sources check these out:

You need to check out State of the art recordings catalog those guys were miles ahead of anyone else with the jazz sound:
Got already a lot of their stuff. Some of their tunes are borderline cheese, in my opinion.
Hardcorejunglism.com is a good source for some lost gems, although they are a bit pricey.

'I find Retribution (In Super 8MM)' pretty cool (its from 'Professor Tsungs Art Of Science Funktion' on Moving Shadow). That was a style with no real name, but a few tunes floating around.
They sampled dialogue from old noir gangster movies. Very atmopheric !

But that doesnt answer the question, did Solid State sample jazz fusion records for their tunes, and if so, what are the sources ?
Or did they use real instruments ? I think that was another fashion for a while. If my memory serves me correct, Peshays 'Miles From Home' LP was done with a lot of live recorded samples.

If you want some Jazz to listen to you cant go wrong with Pharoah Sanders, cant really help with the original question, but if you like the music you orinally stated youll like him

Back
Top Bottom