Mics...

Attire

Last Winter
VIP Junglist
So I'm interested in picking up a nice mic to add some weird new sounds into my tunes, but I can't afford one of these top end things at several thousand pounds...
So I was wondering if anyone could give any direction as to what kind of specs would be a good choice for a much cheaper price. (i don't have a set budget, but yeah)

(Oh, and as a side note, some tips on how you people rip/record old vinyls for sampling would be helpful too ;) )

Last edited:
Either get an SM57 (standard instrument mic.. directional, handles high volume levels, used often for close micing of drums and guitar amps) or an SM58 (also rather directional live vocal mic. good for general purpose but a bit more open). It sort of depends what you want to record, the sm57 will probably do a lot for you if you are recording you hitting things in a studio. If you want to capture the full sound of a room then I am not so sure as I dont do much of that, I have a Studio Projects B1 condenser which is noiser than the SM's but great for a simple recording of a jam in a band rehearsal room. Its pretty good for vocals too. Each of these mics cost around 100 pounds. You'll want a mixer or standalone preamp too, with phantom power if you are looking at the B1.

I have a turntable that puts out a line level signal, so I can sample that straight into my computer or MPC. I assume most DJ mixers have a line out somewhere, I dont know anything about that. What kind of turntable gear and soundcard have you?

Last edited:
Ahhh cheers for that :)

Yeah, I still need to buy a soundcard, mixer, and turntable I guess. Just no bloody room for it all here!

Right sorry to be a noob or whatever, but before I go and buy this I'm gonna have to know what else I need to use it properly.

Bearing in mind I have like, no equipment at the moment, what do people recommend I pick up?

Kind of off topic, but I also want to use a microphone, I have a Yoga Dual Impedance EM 501 condenser microphone, i think it costed around 30 quid. If I plug it straight into my soundcard input it sounds shit, what should I run it through? Do I need to splash out on a pre amp or mixer? I have an old regular speaker amplifier, would it work through that?

I think all condenser mics require phantom power. Many preamps supply it. The preamp boosts the signal up to line level. Most mixers have preamps at the start of the channel. If you dont have a mixer, you can buy just a preamp. I think behringer have one with a tube in it that might be a good place to start. You then plug the output of the preamp (line level signal) into your soundcard. I dont think a speaker amp is going to do much as they are designed to accept line level signals, and output heavy current to the speakers.

Back
Top Bottom