microphone + maybe software?!

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
ez all.
iv bin producing mainly liquid lately and its sounding nice just a little bit empty without the vocals, iv recorded a few little samples through my headphones as a mic and even thought its shockin quality u can edit it to sound alright using effects.
Basically if I use samples because I use reason theyre not the right tempo.
What mic can I get to connect through my line in on my powerbook so I can record my own vocals?
Thanks in advance!

u can use any mic aslong as it doesnt need phantom power, cos the line in on ur powerbook wont provide. If u dont wanna stretch the budget too much then i would suggest a Shure SM58 which is industry standard for live vocal performance. I think they're between £70 - £100 in most places. you then need a xlr to jack lead and then a jack to 3.5 jack adapter. If doing a lot of vocals for pro tracks then would def reccomend getting a pop shield. u can easily make one by gettin a metal coat hanger and twisting it into a circle. then steal a pair of ur mums/sisters/friends thick black tights and tie it really tight to the coat hanger. and voila and diy pop shield.
Hope that helps mate

Dynamic mic (stage mic): needs nothing, just plug it in and sing $$

Condenser mic: Needs a specific input voltage called phantom power, provided by a pre-amp $$$

Condenser mic: Needs a specific input voltage called phantom power, provided by a pre-amp $$$

I have to add, each studio, that record vocals use one of these. You get everything with them.
I got an AKG Condenser Mic.
It's quite fun recording the neighbours having sex or the ants in your garden :)

But you need a Preamp, like a Audio Interface with Phantom Power (there are cheap out there).

If you want a stage mic: SM58. STANDARD.

I would recommend to go to a musicstore and have a look, what you are searching for.

You'd be better off getting a dedicated sound interface as well, because a mic sounds so much better when put through a preamp than when hooked straight to a line in.

Something like M-Audio Fast Track will set you back less than a 100€ and will be an improvement on sound, and it's also got Phantom power option if you want to get a good microphone later.

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

There's also microphones that are of good quality and connect to the usb port (got a preamp built in), they are also better suited for recording vocals than a dynamic microphone. Dynamic mics are more useful in live situations.

There's also microphones that are of good quality and connect to the usb port (got a preamp built in), they are also better suited for recording vocals than a dynamic microphone. Dynamic mics are more useful in live situations.

Was about to mention this, good solution if you dont want to be spending out on interfaces/pre amps aswell as a mic. Definately avoid using the line in on your standard card, will leave a lot to be desired! Think Samson do a few USB solutions, aswell as some other companies. Obviously its not quite the same as a good pre-amp and converters, but unless your doing a fair amount of work with it, its hard to justify the money for all that kit.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Just spotted you said software aswel... Digidesign are doing a range of "Pro Tools Essentials" packages, one of which is called vocal studio, package consists of a USB mic with a small stand, bundled with a cut down version of PT that will run 16 audio tracks, 8 MIDI, 8 Instrument tracks, few internal aux busses etc. Not the greatest track count, works out around half that of the LE version, but considering its about £80 and comes with a mic you cant complain! Think it comes with some samples aswel.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProToolsVocalStudio.html

Was about to mention this, good solution if you dont want to be spending out on interfaces/pre amps aswell as a mic. Definately avoid using the line in on your standard card, will leave a lot to be desired! Think Samson do a few USB solutions, aswell as some other companies. Obviously its not quite the same as a good pre-amp and converters, but unless your doing a fair amount of work with it, its hard to justify the money for all that kit.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Just spotted you said software aswel... Digidesign are doing a range of "Pro Tools Essentials" packages, one of which is called vocal studio, package consists of a USB mic with a small stand, bundled with a cut down version of PT that will run 16 audio tracks, 8 MIDI, 8 Instrument tracks, few internal aux busses etc. Not the greatest track count, works out around half that of the LE version, but considering its about £80 and comes with a mic you cant complain! Think it comes with some samples aswel.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProToolsVocalStudio.html

looks pretty swish, would i be able to use the samples in reason ie not just in the software package they give you?
alot of help in here much appreciated!!

Yea PT supports re-wire (both the TDM and LE versions do anyway, so I'm assuming thats no different with the essentials version) so you could use it to route your tracks from Reason to the Instrument tracks in Pro Tools. Or you could bounce everything from reason down to audio, and then import it into Pro Tools for mixing/processing, this would work with any version.

Back
Top Bottom