Micro Review: Sonimus Satson

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
saton_buss_channel_12.jpg

Sonimus Satson: Instant "Glue" and Warmth for Only $39.
You've most likely heard the term "glue" around these forums as well as other media; it's the "magic" the makes our drums sound cohesive, solidifies multiple bass layers, and adds that bit of "punch" and "bite" we attempt to get from other processors, but can come up short. This cohesiveness can be obtained through a variety of means whether it be EQing, compression, etc. but I have yet to find a solution that would quickly give me the results I was looking for within a matter of minutes...until I met Satson.

Hot Shit
My first experience with this lovely plug came when I found it included in one of my Computer Music downloads. It looked simple enough, and I was looking for a light CPU plug that would give me some drive/glue and keep me from having to drop PSP VintageWarmer2 on multiple tracks, bogging down my CPU. Satson hit the spot, instantly.

I dropped it into my drum bus and bumped up the gain a bit and applied a little filtering with the knobs...instant satisfaction. I did the same with a couple other busses (bass, leads, pads) as well as a few independent instrument channels and was still met with great results. For shits and grins, I cranked the hell out of the gain knob on one of my synth channels and much to my surprise–it sounded extremely thick/crispy without any harsh artifacts.

Fast forward a couple weeks to this very forum where I watched Audio's tutorial video...and noticed at the 17:00 minute mark he pointed out his love for Satson 2.1. Of course he had the full version, and I noted the inclusion of a FAT switch as well as some hidden gems on the back panel (Super Gain, Gain Compensation, etc.). I traveled over to the Sonimus website and was dumbfounded at the price: $39 (USD).

What is it?
Essentially, it's a analog console modeled (SSL perhaps?) that you would most likely use as the ending insert in a chain. Satson contains:

• VU meter (user adjustable calibrations for headroom preference).
  • A gain knob to adjust gain (trim) staging or to add a boost to your selected channel/bus.
  • Two lovely filters (hi/low).
  • Optional FAT mode.
  • Gain boosting options on the back panel.

The closest plug-in I can compare it to would be PSP VintageWarmer 2, though the sonic quality is slightly different due to the emulation which each device is based upon–this is not a bad thing by any means.

To add, your purchase also includes the Satson Buss plugin. There are a couple differences between the two, most notably Satson Channel offers Hi/Low filters while Buss offers Dual Mono and two types of crosstalk modes (vintage or modern). You're essentially getting two great tools for one ridiculously low price.

Who Would Use It?
Producers looking for a...
...highly accurate analog console emulated plugin capable of producing a pleasing "drive" to a sound.
...plugin to add subtle cohesion to their mix(es) and/or busses.
...a tool to aid with headroom measurements/adjustments.
...cost efficient alternative to other high priced plug-ins that do virtually the same thing.

The Verdict
The Sonimus Satson package is brilliant. It sounds amazing and despite the abundance of knobs, switches, etc., it's capable of doing quite a lot in aiding your workflow and your mixes. Once you've read the manual, you'll quickly discover just how incredibly flexible Satson is. You can use it a little or subtlety or a lot to drive the hell out of something. The fact that Sonimus has delivered such an amazing plug-in at such a bargain price ($39 USD) is reason enough to toss your money at this up and coming developer. If you have a subscription to Computer Music, check out the CM version of the plug before you buy...but again, for a measly $39, you can't lose.

5/5 for flexibility, quality, simple UI and most of all–value.

Last edited:
I gotta say fella, I really enjoy these reviews you keep posting. I think you should make it a monthly thing. Maybe try getting in touch with some plugin companies, show them your reviews of previous items, see if you can land a deal and get the plug for free, so you can review it and advertise it for them.....worth a shot right?

I gotta say fella, I really enjoy these reviews you keep posting. I think you should make it a monthly thing. Maybe try getting in touch with some plugin companies, show them your reviews of previous items, see if you can land a deal and get the plug for free, so you can review it and advertise it for them.....worth a shot right?

Thanks a lot for the feedback Mr. Fletch, I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews. I've actually contacted U-He and TAL and sent them links...Urs from u-He was kind enough to hit me back with some kind words. My goal is to try to make monthly review, whether it be for an instrument or effect/processor, I'd like it to be a regular thing.

I think I just might take your idea and run with it, after all, the worst thing they can do is say no. :)

I'll definitely keep you posted. Cheers!

Loves these reviews mate, keep it up! I got the Satson CM version but with the FAT processing i may fork out for the full version. Cheers.

i recently got hold of this as well and have been having fun with it.

like u said there, i use it at the end of any processes and mainly one breaks ive shopped up

Nice review lost, I've been wondering about this plugin since I saw it the Audio tutorial. Gonna have to grab it, didnt realise it was so cheap!

Loves these reviews mate, keep it up! I got the Satson CM version but with the FAT processing i may fork out for the full version. Cheers.
Thanks for the kind feedback! The Satson CM version really blew me away...the added FAT mode (and back panel options) with the paid versions are totally worth the price of admission.

i recently got hold of this as well and have been having fun with it.

like u said there, i use it at the end of any processes and mainly one breaks ive shopped up
Nice! Glad to hear you're finding it useful. I pretty much slap it on just about everything.

Nice review lost, I've been wondering about this plugin since I saw it the Audio tutorial. Gonna have to grab it, didnt realise it was so cheap!

Yeah man, it's a fucking steal for the price! The developer also offers a couple other plugs (one freebie!). I'm anxious to see what other plugs they have in store for the future...definitely one to watch.

Cheers!

what would u use the buss side of it for?
I believe it has a couple different switches on the back panel, most notably a "Loud" switch that adds a bit of "analogue distortion" to the high and low frequencies, essentially boosting them a bit.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lostnthesound again.
Cheers sir!

saw this plugin on the audio tut...thought it was funny that he was using a pirated one. nice review

hahaha... yeah!
"REGISTERED TO: TEAM ASSIGN 2011"

Yeah, I noticed that too...was a bit dumbfounded as to why one would get a hot copy seeing as how it's only $39 (USD).

i doubt anything he uses is legit...the gladiator is registered to team air and another plugin was also registered to some warez team. cool vid though.
kinda crazy though that someone that actually makes something from music still uses pirated stuff. also i remember avicci was using a sylenth copy licensed to synthicate or something. was the future mag thing i think.

Back
Top Bottom