Menosance - Soulless

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Menosance, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Hi guys,

I hope this thread finds you well. I am really happy with the current progress that I am making in my music but I know I am not there yet. Close, but not there yet. Here is a track which I believe that it could take me to the next level, but I am sort finding problems in the mix mainly the bass. Can it be felt? Or does the overall mix sounds well??
    Soulless
    http://snd.sc/1hRv9M8

Do please tell me what you think on the track. It has a different vibe to my usual and I still hope that people could like my versatility :)

Thanks, Much Love
    Meno :)

2. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

A lot more interesting to listen to than your other tracks, although the bass does get a bit repetitive after a while! (That rotating sounding one.)

3. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks man :) That is actually the lead, the bass is the one that sort of stops in the middle for a few seconds. Did the mix sound bad though??

4. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Drums could definitely be way punchier, try layering/compressing them a bit more (Just don't overdo it.) : )

5. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks man. Will take a look at it. There isn't that much space to play with so nothing will be overdone :)

6. wingz

wingz everyones fav austrian

you don't even need layers, just parallel compress the drums and add some saturation

7. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Yes, yes, that is what I was gonna do tomorrow infact. How did you find the overall track, wingz may I ask?? :)

8. wingz

wingz everyones fav austrian

well it's very very early i suppose. the hats seem kinda out of time, guess it's a delay effect isn't it. reduce it lots, i feel like the transients are clashing. i like those ambient chants. you could try comparing your production to professional tunes to see where you can get better (mixdown and variation wise and that).

i for myself like to just start off with 4 bars and work on those 4 bars till i'm somewhat happy and feel like theres enough interest to keep me going further

but who am i to talk seriously. ask cartel, hes probably the best around here. tewky also has some mad knowledge

9. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks still wingz. Even those who are not experts can still help and get appriciated for their help :)

10. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

i say this with all your tracks man, stick some fx in there! honestly it will make the track come to life. also you need to work a little on your transitions, your tracks always seem to go from intro - drop- break - drop with no real build up or anything. something as basic as a white noise sweep would make the transition smoother, but also make it hit harder (at the drop). Try bussing your drums and putting a filter on them, lpf or hpf, either way. Then you can automate the cutoff so your drums fade out / fade in. That works well if your stripping everything away before the drop i find. all these things will help the track flow better. what you have here is a good skeleton, and you just need to switch it up a bit and add some interesting noises in here and there. I dont mean 1 every minute, i mean loads of them! stuff to keep the listener interested. THe mix sounds tight though.

also, wingz is worth listening to as well, his latest bit is deep!

11. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks Cartel. It looks like I am gonna need more FX's to the track which is starting to mind boggle me though. For the transition I shall take a look at some tutorials about them. For the FX's do you know any released tracks or of your own which have a similar vibe to mine but they have quite a lot of FX's maybe I could get around to understand the amount needed to be used by FX?? Thanks :)

Yeah, I did comment on his latest. That is why I still took into consideration his remarks on mine. His is quite a tight track!! :D

Thanks again :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also wouldn't the reversed crash be enough as a transition??

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  12. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

i think there needs to be more tbh man, one reversed crash isnt enough to me. saying all this, its your music and im not going to tell you how to write it, but the track below is kind of a similar vibe i think:

if you listen to it through the main section there are various diffrent elements coming in and out. primarily the vocal. then theres a fadey kind of synth noise, a couple of really subtle soft stabs (they may even be piano notes). Following that theres a melody that comes in, with that delayed synth. there are some bits where the drums cut out and then come back in. at 1.35 a new element is added again, all makign the track flow.

theres a bit in your track @ 2.52 where theres like 6 kicks in a row. if it were me i would put a low pass on them and automate it so as the kicks go on they get cut out gradually, then bring it back in. Thats me though.

As i said, its your music, so do what you want with it, but there the sorts of things i would be looking to add personally!

13. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

I think I know where the problem lies. It not because I don't add stuff but it is the way that the sounds enter. The problem of transitions also lies for singular sounds as well. For example, my lead in Soulless is has an abrupt entrance into the track's sections (apart from the main drop where it is needed to be nicely abrupt). About the white sweeps I shall be adding them to the track but in long notes or a 8 note glided pattern (still need to see which is best). They will still rise but subtlety.

The thing is that I like to be minimal in my tracks. What I am trying to push with my music is minimalistic melodic tech. Yes, you are right I still need to do some FX to any kind of D&B even styles like microfunk have FX to keep the audience entertained. But still, I try not to fill up the whole tracks with FX since I try and make the audience feel the vibe of the track and to immerse themselves mentally into something else that no other D&B track has ever took them. I shall still take your point into consideration for other tracks don't worry ;)

I get what you are saying and I appreciate all you work and words that got me this far. You and the other members have been very helpful of getting me this far. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  14. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Being minimal can be a bad and a good thing, just like with super overpowering/crowded music (like a lot of neurofunk tracks) if you overdo one of them it just creates a really boring or painful to listen to track.
    So just keep experimenting! (And stop worrying about sending music to labels ; ) )

You'll get there eventually : ).

Edit:

I've added you on aim, if you ever have any questions, or need to bounce ideas: just shoot them.

15. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Aa that's sweet man. I have added you as well. The small kick problem has been fixed and the intro has been slightly changed which made the drop is sound much better. As for the crashes some of them have a smoother transition and have been lengthened a bit more to increase a bit the flow. The lead/bass balance has been fixed as well and the bass is sounding much better among the other sounds. Do want me to send it over?? :)

As for my labels submission problem, I have toned myself down a bit so at the end of the day something has changed in me at least.