Menosance - Iambic (new techinques)

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

I hope you are well. Since last time I post it here, I went back to learn new stuff on FX's, Variations and Randomizations, including Scales. I did some mock up stuff and they did sound good. While, I was still looking at new stuff, I decided to clean out my projects files and deleted some tracks that not even God himself can improve them, but I did stumble on some gems that need just an update and improvements. So, I decided to use an old track to show off my new techinques that you guys were giving me to search on.

Here is Iambic, a 1 year old track, given an improved mix, detuned bass in certain sections, some FX's and risers. I am still not sure about the bass. Is it noticible that the bass is detuned?? and should the detuning be also in key?? Do please comment :)
Iambic
IGNORE THIS, LOOK FOR MY LATEST VERSION IN THE 7TH REPLY BELOW

Thanks, Much Love,
Menosance :)

P.S: Next up - Surrealism Take 2 ;)

Last edited:
If I'm correct, detuning is used just to give a voice a wider, thicker feel, right? It should be subtle, and isn't meant to actually change/modify the key of the instrument. With that in mind, no, you shouldn't detune to be in key, your detuning should only bring you off by a small fraction of a semi-tone.

As to the actual track, I like the drums in the beginning. The weird noise in the intro (bass?) is interesting, if a bit faint*. Really like the richer, more menacing bass as it comes it (it's also a bit faint*, though).

I like the breakdown, but I do feel there should be more voices in it. The drop is pretty good; I'd maybe experiment with adding a bit more punch to it, though.

By 2:00 you have a droning bass that just keeps repeating the same note. Every key has a triad of notes (the root, the third, and the fifth); at the very least you can switch up the note the drone plays by using the other two notes (the third and the fifth)at the end of the bar/phrase, instead of the root note. E.g. A Minor has ACE, C major has CEG.

I really like the ghostly higher-pitched stab.

I think this is good solid work.

*could just be my speakers, to be fair

It sounds to me like you've only detuned 1 oscillator for the bass? (Or two oscillators in the same direction.) If you want to make a detuned bass, you'd tune two or more oscs away from each other I.E. OSC1 +00.25 OSC2 -00.25. Otherwise, if I am correct, you're just pitching the whole bass up by a tiny amount.

Those sixteenths hats sound very robotic, and the drums in general sound pretty empty at the moment. I'd try adding a break and/or some shuffles to add some more groove (but make sure it isn't too cluttered). It makes all the difference ;) There should also be a bit less reverb on the snare IMO.

I'm not quite sure what's happening arrangement wise.. I think that the bass shouldn't come in until the drop, and that the intro should have a pad or some stabs. As kdk said, the bass should have some more variation.

Overall the track needs a bit of work in my opinion. But I like those foley insect-like sounds :) Keep on working on it

It sounds to me like you've only detuned 1 oscillator for the bass? (Or two oscillators in the same direction.) If you want to make a detuned bass, you'd tune two or more oscs away from each other I.E. OSC1 +00.25 OSC2 -00.25. Otherwise, if I am correct, you're just pitching the whole bass up by a tiny amount.

Those sixteenths hats sound very robotic, and the drums in general sound pretty empty at the moment. I'd try adding a break and/or some shuffles to add some more groove (but make sure it isn't too cluttered). It makes all the difference ;) There should also be a bit less reverb on the snare IMO.

I'm not quite sure what's happening arrangement wise.. I think that the bass shouldn't come in until the drop, and that the intro should have a pad or some stabs. As kdk said, the bass should have some more variation.

Overall the track needs a bit of work in my opinion. But I like those foley insect-like sounds :) Keep on working on it

If I'm correct, detuning is used just to give a voice a wider, thicker feel, right? It should be subtle, and isn't meant to actually change/modify the key of the instrument. With that in mind, no, you shouldn't detune to be in key, your detuning should only bring you off by a small fraction of a semi-tone.

As to the actual track, I like the drums in the beginning. The weird noise in the intro (bass?) is interesting, if a bit faint*. Really like the richer, more menacing bass as it comes it (it's also a bit faint*, though).

I like the breakdown, but I do feel there should be more voices in it. The drop is pretty good; I'd maybe experiment with adding a bit more punch to it, though.

By 2:00 you have a droning bass that just keeps repeating the same note. Every key has a triad of notes (the root, the third, and the fifth); at the very least you can switch up the note the drone plays by using the other two notes (the third and the fifth)at the end of the bar/phrase, instead of the root note. E.g. A Minor has ACE, C major has CEG.

I really like the ghostly higher-pitched stab.

I think this is good solid work.

*could just be my speakers, to be fair

Thanks guys for your comments :) I thought I was gonna get worse comments tbh. Well musically, it still needs some work but mixing and techniques seem fine. Yes, I just added 25 st for the detuning for the bass. Sultnare those aren't foley-insects sounds but heavily vocoded bubble-wrap sounds :P

Thanks for your comments once again :)

Could try making the hats feel less synthetic, maybe mess around with the velocity, or add way way way more of them. There's no such thing as overkill :D.

But I think you're getting a bit more there variety wise, which is good :).

Could try making the hats feel less synthetic, maybe mess around with the velocity, or add way way way more of them. There's no such thing as overkill :D.

But I think you're getting a bit more there variety wise, which is good :).

I love you for saying that last line! (no homo haha) Musically it's not 100% there, but almost 85% fully ready :) I am going to add something more with the percussion of the track. Thanks for the comment :D

Last edited:
a few things to consider - velocity on drum beats: makes things have more groove and sound more organic
stereo image: spread some beats out on the sides, have random hits on the right, left, sweeping, dont be afraid of doing that it creates a lot more interest.

think about bringing extra little beats in and out as well, just small things, listen to spectrasoul, they keep bringing in and out percussion elements through out an entire song, it makes it progressive and interesting.

a few things to consider - velocity on drum beats: makes things have more groove and sound more organic
stereo image: spread some beats out on the sides, have random hits on the right, left, sweeping, dont be afraid of doing that it creates a lot more interest.

think about bringing extra little beats in and out as well, just small things, listen to spectrasoul, they keep bringing in and out percussion elements through out an entire song, it makes it progressive and interesting.

Thanks for the comments :) I shall consider the bringing of more percs but the organic feel of the drums might leave the way they are.

I am thinking of sending this one out (the fixed version that is). Wrong move??

Mate seriously don't, I am really sorry and I hate being horrible but this just won't get a release.

You are getting better and better but this will not get signed to any of the labels you are thinking of sending it out to, your fx and use of sounds is getting good but listen to the drums and bass, would you really buy this song if you saw it for sale? again please don't think I am having a dig at you just trying to save you from potential embarrassment/ being ignored.

Mate seriously don't, I am really sorry and I hate being horrible but this just won't get a release.

You are getting better and better but this will not get signed to any of the labels you are thinking of sending it out to, your fx and use of sounds is getting good but listen to the drums and bass, would you really buy this song if you saw it for sale? again please don't think I am having a dig at you just trying to save you from potential embarrassment/ being ignored.

No don't worry mate how you sound, actually I respect you for it. That is why I posted that reply, to see if people would save from a potential embarrassment. I think this one will remain on the shelf for a long time before I open the file again. Thanks for saving my ass Binary, again. :)

Thanks for the comments :) I shall consider the bringing of more percs but the organic feel of the drums might leave the way they are.

That's a mistake, I gave you some pretty solid advice. Your drum beat at the moment is very stale and you can fix it easily, put some ghost hits in, they add shuffle and rhythm and interest, like I said, velocity changes. E.g. before your snare have the same snare with like 28 velocity, then have two hits after one with 45 and the other with say 28 again, it'll give it a bit of swing and life.

Another cool effect would be to sidechain every first kick of a bar to your bassline, or the first and the third.

The tune isn't anywhere near a release, but it doesn't mean you can't learn things from it to apply to your other productions.

The most important thing is to try things out, as many things as possible, and just because they won't work for this specific song doesn't mean they won't for others, it's all a learning curve, the more you do, the more you learn and the more you've learnt the more you can apply in the future.

I said listen to spectrasoul, because they often do beats like this, one's that appear simple but aren't.

Listen to the snare's, they're both slightly different pitches, or have slightly different layers which cause this, they create a push and a pull together.

49 seconds another drum element is brought in.

1:11 it's changed again.

1:33 both are put together.

That's a mistake, I gave you some pretty solid advice. Your drum beat at the moment is very stale and you can fix it easily, put some ghost hits in, they add shuffle and rhythm and interest, like I said, velocity changes. E.g. before your snare have the same snare with like 28 velocity, then have two hits after one with 45 and the other with say 28 again, it'll give it a bit of swing and life.

Another cool effect would be to sidechain every first kick of a bar to your bassline, or the first and the third.

The tune isn't anywhere near a release, but it doesn't mean you can't learn things from it to apply to your other productions.

The most important thing is to try things out, as many things as possible, and just because they won't work for this specific song doesn't mean they won't for others, it's all a learning curve, the more you do, the more you learn and the more you've learnt the more you can apply in the future.

I said listen to spectrasoul, because they often do beats like this, one's that appear simple but aren't.

Listen to the snare's, they're both slightly different pitches, or have slightly different layers which cause this, they create a push and a pull together.

49 seconds another drum element is brought in.

1:11 it's changed again.

1:33 both are put together.

Don't get wrong here mate, I know that what you said about the organic feel of the drums is good advice and I agree. The thing is that I like the way that the drums sound already (on this track) and I didn't want to change their own vibe. About adding the extra percs on the track yes, that will be taken care of. It will be minimal but still would be taken care of.

Thanks for your contribution and I apologize if I have sounded rude with my previous reply to you. :)

drums sound alright, i would process the bass and resample a few times till it has some kinda character, sounds kinda dull and boring

love that vocoded frog croaking

drums sound alright, i would process the bass and resample a few times till it has some kinda character, sounds kinda dull and boring

love that vocoded frog croaking

Thanks man. Really glad that the vocoded bubble wrap sounds are being enjoyed although I am really confused I should continue on this project or not. Should I redo the bass and continue on it or give this track a rest??

Back
Top Bottom