Menosance - Forgive Me, I've Sinned / Angst

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

I hope you are all well. From the last thread I made, I noticed that a problem was constant with all the tracks, which the bass/kick balance. Now, here I have 2 tracks that I intend to show to labels, as shown in the thread title and their balance has been fixed. But before sending them to labels, I would like to tell me what do you think about them.

Forgive Me, I've Sinned
https://soundcloud.com/menosance/ecachia94-gmail-com-menosance/s-TLfX7

Angst
https://soundcloud.com/menosance/angst-bass-fix/s-C7fhV

As labels, to whom do you think shall I send them? Because I can't find the right labels for them because I have sent something else to Spearhead and the other 2 labels that come to mind are IM:Ltd and Program and I already fucked my chances up since I send one of the tracks (Forgive Me, I've Sinned) to them before I fixed the bass/kick problem. Any ideas? Big or small labels, I wouldn't mind.

Thanks, Much Love
Menosance :)

production is sounding a lot tighter. although i do think it gets a bit repetetive, maybe try switchng the melody up a bit?the structure is also quite hard to follow for me, thats just me though. im not sure on lables, its such a unique style youve got!

production is sounding a lot tighter. although i do think it gets a bit repetetive, maybe try switchng the melody up a bit?the structure is also quite hard to follow for me, thats just me though. im not sure on lables, its such a unique style youve got!

Thanks my man :). Both sound slightly repetative or one of them?? Luckily, the production sounds very good but now this is the problem. To whom shall I send them, I have been struggling a bit for answer.

I listened to the Angst one. The buildup was interesting, though I'm not sure why you introduced that voice in the buildup only to leave it out in the end of buildup. Maybe a nice long echo, cut in the bottom frequencies, would be interesting there or something. I also was expecting a bit more to be going on after the drop. Tbh, I'm not totally feeling the upper-mid voice; maybe you could modulate it, or change up the notes it plays to form more of a melody or something. The pads and background effects are good. The breakdown was kind of long.

I'm also wondering what it would be like if you introduced a counter point lead voice, to call-and-response the lead you've already got in there. My final critique might be that the bass was fairly anonymous and could have more interesting aspects to it—right now the song is all about that (somewhat repetitive) lead.

I listened to the Angst one. The buildup was interesting, though I'm not sure why you introduced that voice in the buildup only to leave it out in the end of buildup. Maybe a nice long echo, cut in the bottom frequencies, would be interesting there or something. I also was expecting a bit more to be going on after the drop. Tbh, I'm not totally feeling the upper-mid voice; maybe you could modulate it, or change up the notes it plays to form more of a melody or something. The pads and background effects are good. The breakdown was kind of long.

I'm also wondering what it would be like if you introduced a counter point lead voice, to call-and-response the lead you've already got in there. My final critique might be that the bass was fairly anonymous and could have more interesting aspects to it—right now the song is all about that (somewhat repetitive) lead.

Working on it now, new upload in an hour or so on Angst. :D

good tracks mate, angst is pretty cool, one thing I will say is keep at it and working on improving yourself, imo they are not quite good enough to be signed to the likes of IM:LTD etc yet.

good tracks mate, angst is pretty cool, one thing I will say is keep at it and working on improving yourself, imo they are not quite good enough to be signed to the likes of IM:LTD etc yet.

They will be re-uploaded in 15 mins. Do stay along to hear the changes. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well they are up again.

Forgive Me, I've Sinned - removed 16 bars of the lead after the drop to give more space for the ears and added a tiny amount of delay to smoothen the transtitions of the lead loss.
https://soundcloud.com/menosance/forgive-me-ive-sinned-final/s-przEN

Angst - Was quite automated with the Ping Pong Delay's Beat Delay and On/Off button on the lead. Pad was also automated with the Phaser's Freq and Feedback and its Reverb had changes in the Dry/Wet automation as well. Also, added a shaker here and there :)
https://soundcloud.com/menosance/angst-3/s-pRCNA

Tell what you think now, ladies & gents! :D

I still like that you are kinda finding your own style, you certainly sound different to others around. I think you're also making all your stuff yourself (synth-wise, not drums), which personally I commend - it's the best way to get your own expressions out in my opinion (though don't be afraid to use some samples occasionally and also dip into how to manipulate sound though resampling as you can do it for your own stuff.

Your drums have come on a ton since I last listened to one of your tunes, you need to work on variation now imo - from beginning to end you follow the same idea and need to mix it up a little (though your leads are kinda crazy :) )

As for labels, i wouldn't know but keep in mind I reckon people give a track 15-20 seconds if your sifting through a dropbox of tons of stuff, your intros need some work perhaps as they don't grab attention and usually just start with one synth alone. I think we'd all love to think every track is listened to in full but I think the reality is these people are so busy they just cant do that. I would work on those aspects a bit more before worrying about labels imo.

I'm re-listening to Angst, and already I like the intro better. It seems you've added complexity to the mid-high part, which is great. It seems to sit a bit loud in the mix, I might say. I'm still interested in maybe a second (different) upper-mid voice to fill in some places, but the changes you made already do carry the tune along better. Really into the bass in the breakdown. The drop at about 4:00 is great. After this point, though, I wonder if you could add some (more) filter movement, or other kind of effect, to the main upper-mid voice, to bring a sense of variety and progression to this ending part.

Much of my critique at this point is a matter of taste; I personally like lots of things going on in a song (as you can probably tell from my tracks). You do have a very solid tune already, I just feel like you could do something more with it. For whatever that's worth. :)

I'm re-listening to Angst, and already I like the intro better. It seems you've added complexity to the mid-high part, which is great. It seems to sit a bit loud in the mix, I might say. I'm still interested in maybe a second (different) upper-mid voice to fill in some places, but the changes you made already do carry the tune along better. Really into the bass in the breakdown. The drop at about 4:00 is great. After this point, though, I wonder if you could add some (more) filter movement, or other kind of effect, to the main upper-mid voice, to bring a sense of variety and progression to this ending part.

Much of my critique at this point is a matter of taste; I personally like lots of things going on in a song (as you can probably tell from my tracks). You do have a very solid tune already, I just feel like you could do something more with it. For whatever that's worth. :)

Well, I'm on the contrary. I prefer having a track that has a good heavy simplistic vibe. But still, any criticism which is constructive is welcomed by me. At least, the quick work that I have made is still pleasing :)

- - - Updated - - -

I still like that you are kinda finding your own style, you certainly sound different to others around. I think you're also making all your stuff yourself (synth-wise, not drums), which personally I commend - it's the best way to get your own expressions out in my opinion (though don't be afraid to use some samples occasionally and also dip into how to manipulate sound though resampling as you can do it for your own stuff.

Your drums have come on a ton since I last listened to one of your tunes, you need to work on variation now imo - from beginning to end you follow the same idea and need to mix it up a little (though your leads are kinda crazy :) )

As for labels, i wouldn't know but keep in mind I reckon people give a track 15-20 seconds if your sifting through a dropbox of tons of stuff, your intros need some work perhaps as they don't grab attention and usually just start with one synth alone. I think we'd all love to think every track is listened to in full but I think the reality is these people are so busy they just cant do that. I would work on those aspects a bit more before worrying about labels imo.

Hi Lasiien! :) Long time talking to you. I have pretty much created my own sound (got 2 tracks signed already) but what I am doing is detailing it and apply to other forms of D&B (breaky, jumpy, liquidy etc). Yes, synth-wise everything is made from scratch but I do use some samples, because if it sounds right, it is getting in even if I didn't create the sample.

As for variation, which track needs changing? Because, if the second track needs more, will remove what makes the track my sound, you know? But if it's for the firsy track variation space might be available for it and to remain my style. Who knows maybe I'm gonna be on Kmag's artists to watch for 2014 list hahahaha :P

About the label aspect, I agree and disagree. Small labels have got nothing to lose to listen full tracks and I usually send them to small labels for now, unless I can't find a small label that has that specific sound to send to like Spearhead. But yes, I should give more attention to the intro. Really happy that I heard from you :)

Because, if the second track needs more, will remove what makes the track my sound, you know? But if it's for the firsy track variation space might be available for it and to remain my style. Who knows maybe I'm gonna be on Kmag's artists to watch for 2014 list hahahaha :P

Hey, don't get me wrong - you've got to be thick skinned enough to take criticism imo but also stick to your guns when you think it's something you like but others dislike. For me (very personally) dnb is a genre these days where you can't keep the same thing going, you can keep a theme perhaps and similar notes/melody but you always have to be changing what you're doing to keep interest. That said it's just my opinion and I'm like anyone else on here, just offering advice and I respect anyone who takes it or decides they like what they are doing anyways :)

Nice to hear you got signed, congrats :) I like artists that differ from the norm :)

Hey, don't get me wrong - you've got to be thick skinned enough to take criticism imo but also stick to your guns when you think it's something you like but others dislike. For me (very personally) dnb is a genre these days where you can't keep the same thing going, you can keep a theme perhaps and similar notes/melody but you always have to be changing what you're doing to keep interest. That said it's just my opinion and I'm like anyone else on here, just offering advice and I respect anyone who takes it or decides they like what they are doing anyways :)

Nice to hear you got signed, congrats :) I like artists that differ from the norm :)

I accept all type of constructive criticism and listen to all ideas and tips people throw at me, but like you said if it something that isn't to my liking I won't do it. Don't get me wrong, I do understand what you are saying and do try to see how can it applied, if it can be applied. Pretty much, I try to have my own theme in my tracks but obviously I vary it according the style and attitude I am going for. Also, these two tracks sound slight similar because I am planning to ship them out as a pair. That is also why they are posted together :) But like you said, D&B is a difficult genre to survive with a single sound.

Back
Top Bottom