Melody help

rysk

Part-time waster
VIP Junglist
first off, i know there are some leveling issues, but FL started throwing a hissy fit so i just decided to bounce it before letting my PC cool off.

Secondly, yes the vocals are nicked, but just wanted to try play with vocals...and i thought these were fantastic and fit the vibe i was going for.

thirdly, only been working on this for a few hours, so it's kinda lacking in everything...but what i'm trying to go for is quite a downbeat liquid vibe, but i'm not really getting that from the melody of the bassline (i have absolutely no idea when it comes to writing melody, so it's usually a bit of a trial and error process) , any suggestions on note progression or maybe how i can vary it up later in the tune, how i can make it fit the vocal better? or any suggestions regarding anything really

UPDATED

AND AGAIN

Last edited:
Try less wobble. That bass is the beginning of dirty. Possibly try de-tuning two sine waves on certain key. Bounce the wave forum out into a loop and send it back in to a sampler. Saturate with some distortion and you might have a more mellow bass. Repeat for greater effect by the way.

The bass sounds best in the latest version of the track but it feels like the drums are sitting behind the bass now, they sound quite muffled, try eqing your drums, compress them and add some percussive elements and pan them to give a wider stereo image.

out of curiosity where did you pinch the vocals from?

The bass sounds best in the latest version of the track but it feels like the drums are sitting behind the bass now, they sound quite muffled, try eqing your drums, compress them and add some percussive elements and pan them to give a wider stereo image.

out of curiosity where did you pinch the vocals from?

the drums are EQ'd and compressed, was trying to get them punching through enough without making them sound godawful, and that seems to be about as much as i could push it.

and the vocals are from this little piece by this lass named Natlie Duncan, seriously talented singer/songwriter that goldie took under his wing for a TV show and some other things

EDIT: are you sure you're not mistaking the latest version for the first one posted?

they're in ascending order...hence the gradual improvements XD

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the vocals don't sound in harmony with the chords/bass you've chosen i would ditch what you have keep drums and try work around the vocal a bit more, and don't have them playing so much! Odd choice of timbres too! the elements don't complement each other bass sounds flat, there no way i can say what you should change chord wise it's a bit trial and error what i would do is just experiment trust what sounds right. I would suggest getting the basic harmonic rhythm down first (when each chord will occur) and just start with one note at a time and build atop each not till you have a progression that fits.

Back
Top Bottom