Mefjus, Insideinfo & The Upbeats - Footpath BASS*

andrewt7941

The bass in this tune completely excites me both at home and on the dancefloor! Ive had similar results at home using FM8 and other plugina but im struggling to get something that you could replicate with your mouth. The bass seems vowely and one you can remember off the top of your head. Also the analogue rich crunch feel to it is madness.
Any ideas or advice to create such huge basslines alike?

omg! never heard that song, but it's AWESOME!!

in terms of getting stuff vowely, automate the FM amount that goes into an operator (or the volume of the modulator).
also you can use 2 parametric EQ bands and move them towards or away from each other.
when you try bandpass-filter-automation try automating it's width too, that might help as well
also try vocoding some good bass by a FMish thing?!

sorry, i can't give you more help; maybe search SeamlessR's youtube channel for 'vowel' - he's freakin' good at things like this
(and he can explain very good on top :)

Vowelly-ness is an elusive one. You can sometimes get it with certain combinations of FM, like seamlessR does, you can add bitcrusher and automate sample-rate, you can vocode the bass or use a formant filter (forma-8 is pretty nice) but most of those things will end up completely changing the character of your bass and create quite a different sound to that tune.
Sometimes the vowels come from a completely coincidental combination of bandpasses, notches and resonances just in the right place, which I think is the case here.
Learn to do the whole reese resampling technique, where you build up layers and layers of filters sandwiched between distortion plugins, EQs and choruses. That's probably a good place to start.

Sound for the replies people! This is all very helpful, i'm good at creating the initial sound, it's just coming up with catchy basslines like this and automation etc. Will try all of these :)
Pce x

Back
Top Bottom