Meaning of double dropping

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Dj Jammin, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Could someone tell me the meanin of double dropping i think i get it i just wanna make sure.

2. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Its where you fart in quick succesion such that it sounds like a big single poopy fart
    :shittin:
    Double Droppin, or mixing basslines...its where you lets two tracks drop...and it can sound very messy and pointless.
    It would be great to see someone suss some new mixing trix ...know wot I mean:rolf:

3. mesh

mesh Active Member

phased triple dropping on six decks perhaps?(y)

listen to the first 2 mins of any recent andy c set, you hear how those two tunes kick off at the same point, to slammin effect? you can do it all through a set if you want, just learn to EQ tightly first though please, or Stan will shit it again. :cat:

4. Herb

Herb Member

There’s a massive phenomenon in D&B circles called the double drop. I don’t know where the name came from, or how it’s become so massive, but it’s something I’ve been doing for years and I’d say around 80 per cent of my mixes are done in this style. Read on, and hopefully you’ll be able to do it too.

Basically a double drop is when you’ve got your two cuts lined up so well that both of them drop at exactly the same time. Essentially it means loads of impact, and I mean loads. When it’s done properly you’ve got two basslines and melodies rolling at exactly the same time.

You’re effectively creating another track altogether, or a remix of two cracking tunes. In fact sometimes it can make a track that doesn’t sound too good on its own sound amazing!

The first thing to remember is that you can’t just do it for the sake of it, which I think a lot of people are doing right now. If the tunes don’t go, they don’t go and you’re just going to make a mess! Selection is the key to a good double drop – work those tunes, find out what goes with what and remember them. Keep them together in your record bag if it helps.

So let’s get a bit more technical on this… you can double drop at any breakdown point of the tune. Obviously you can mix the first drop off both tracks together for a big long mash-up, but you’re going to need more than two decks for this as most intros are a similar length.

The usual technique I tend to use is the first drop off one track and the second drop of the track that’s playing – it’s better that way cos you get more time to line the tunes up.

When both tunes drop properly you should be able to let them roll together, and as the last tune rolls out you should be hitting the second breakdown of the tune you’ve just dropped – if you’re feeling adventurous and you’ve got enough time then you should be able to line up another double drop straight away!

It’s probably wise to remember that there are tunes out there that’ll catch you out. Personally, my love for the double drop, and DJing in general, stretches to how I approach the studio – I like to make things as DJ-friendly as possible. But there are a lot of producers who’ll make a tune with an extra four or eight bars thrown in.

In this case you’ve gotta look at it as a bonus and embrace the challenge, but remember, it’s gotta be locked before it bangs all the way. And let me tell you, when I’ve got one of those tricky mixes it gives me goosebumps when it kicks off!

Now, there’s rumours around that some people on the scene make up their double drops at home, record them and play them out. I ain’t naming names, but let me tell you, that’s wrong. To stand there with your hands in the air and toy with the crowd like you’re pulling off this big trick when you’ve actually recorded it at home is just embarrassing… it’s as bad as planning your whole mix before you go out.

What I always try and remember is that there are loads of young DJs out there who are hungry as anything to play where you’re playing, so you can never, ever afford to get lazy.

So there you have it. You know what a double drop is, you know to choose your tunes wisely, you know when to mix it in and you know it’s a crime to pretend to be double dropping. Practice makes perfect and use that memory… there’s no point trying to pull off a double drop if you can’t remember when to drop your second tune.

Not everyone likes double drops. Sometimes people might leave the floor cos they don’t want to hear two tracks kicking off together. All the big ravers love it, fellow DJs might love it, but others may like to hear a tune on its own. Which is totally cool, but that’s not how I do things.

The way I see it is if you don’t like it, wait for the next DJ. They might not play how I play… in fact I know they won’t!

Mampi Swift

5. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Did you just sign that post Mampi swift? Are you THE mampi swift? o_O o_O o_O
    I've done that before but i didn't realise it was called double dropping, I mixed Dj Zinc - ready or not(remix) with Shy - FX feelings (instrumental) They build and drop together perfectly and work all the way to the end.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  6. Radius

He saying your biting Manpi's style :rik: :hotpants:

7. Herb

Herb Member

i am actually mampi swift under a new alias

8. TheMadStuntman

TheMadStuntman TheMadStuntman

If done well I love it. There was a time when every dj was killing it though
    1.Dropping two tunes that create a mental rush of energy
    2.Dropping two tunes with thick textures that just clang
    3.Creating a nice cheeky new beat (not for more than 30 secs)
    You decided
    :rave:

9. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Nice to meet you :banana: what brings you to the forum then? Thanks for the advice btw.

10. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

How ya doing, Mampi?

This is :hype:

11. kendobaggins

kendobaggins New Member

i think the best double drop i have ever heard was on the pendulum essential mix it was mufflers iron tune dropped with Chase and status's The druids. These two tracks work in perfect harmony together so i usally always recreate it in my own mixes because i think the druids is a bit weak on its own but together with the iron tune it rocks.

Double drops are great but risky if it dont work it really doesnt work at all.:rowley:

12. Radius

OK so if your Manpee then you used to record your DATS in a specific way for mastering ( if its you you will know exactly what I am talking about right away) :jackson: and you will also be able to explain why you used to do that.

If not you still got matey going so Fairplay...he he

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  13. sirGUNZ

sirGUNZ Bassline Buddy

my nans a expert ask her
    2 in one go
    yum

14. TheMadStuntman

TheMadStuntman TheMadStuntman

All time best double drop: Pendulums Another planet smashed into Barons nosher (Its was the first time I had ever heard another planet, what a sound!, totally different to DnB at that time EVIL!!! :finger: )

15. Lux !

Lux ! New Member

double droppin is ez :jackson:

important input i know :rik:

16. Radius

Ah but where is Manpi now..why so shy now LOL :nono:

17. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

maybe he has stuff to do?

18. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

i want more record quad drops in the dance :soap_box:

19. Sub-junkie

Sub-junkie Alan Whyte

I find that double droppin works best with tunes that are heavy on the breaks.Its hard to get 2 tunes that soud good when double dropped.You tend to get a bit of dischord.I think the decks with key lock would be excellent for this,and you would practically have a new tune.I suppose some people would say that using these turntables would be cheating but I say that if it sounds good then fuck em.

20. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

what are decks with a key lock?