Me and Centra are producing a sample pack!

EmperorDNB

So I had an idea about sample packs the other day.

I've always wanted to produce a proper library of sounds that people can use for all kinds of electronic music. I've wanted to create a sample pack that is consistent, and contains samples that are actually useful. I've done research on the prices of sample packs as a whole, and to be honest they are ridiculously expensive for what they are. That
wouldn't be an issue really, but at the end of the day you are paying £40 for library that you'll probably only ever use a couple of loops out of; I would consider that a huge waste of money.

Obviously this is not disregarding all sample packs out there at the moment, I understand a lot of hard work and effort goes into some of these packs, but the majority seems to be overwhelmed with disappointment. I don't really think it's justifiable to charge so much for something that isn't really that great.

Like I said, there are still amazing sample packs out there, I think the main reason some sample packs don't really deliver, is not because the person behind it isn't good enough, but maybe because they have held back their best work, which of course, is understandable.

Myself and Centra have joined forces to create a sample library that contains everything from Drum Loops to Atmospheres and everything in between. Not only will the pack be consistent, we're going to be doing it at a very cheap price, which we have yet to decide on. This really depends on how large the sample pack is, we're aiming for at least 750mb but it might be more, or less. The pack is still in production, but I can assure you everything you hear will be something that you can use in some way or another, we will have been through the entire pack and ensured that we are satisfied with what we are putting out there for you.

This will be done on an individual basis, no middle man, no large company taking a cut and dumbing down the product. We will probably do this by a Paypal transfer where you will send us a payment and you will be emailed a private download link to download the samples from. Obviously we will be putting up audio demos. for you to hear what you are paying for!

I understand pirating exists because it is so easy for someone to do. Its pretty easy downloading a file with one click and not paying £40 and upwards for some samples, it is an option I have used before, and probably every producer out there has too. That is why we aren't charging so much, and why we can guarantee you will love the samples that we have put so much effort and time into.

As for specifics, the price range will be around £2.50 - £10, obviously this will depend on how big the sample pack is when we've done producing it, we won't charge a high amount if the substance isn't there.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Conor

Nice one.

The majority of sample packs I have come across have been unusable IMO.
I find it really annoying when kick drum one shots have a hi hat layered over the top. It means I have to bastardise the sample with EQ and ect to make it fit with a hi hat that I want to use.

I also find it really annoying when short reverbs are on certain samples. You can get rid of the tail with gates but the reverb is still there during the main part of the drum hit and it makes it add a tinny sort of character to the drum hit.

Fair enough if its a hit that has been recorded in an actual space though. But artificial reverbs are useless. They should be applied by the user of the sample as chances are they won't be able to recreate that reverb, which will mean that the hit won't match the same sonic space as the rest of the track.

I had another idea aswell man...

Maybe do multiple packs?

Have one pack that is strictly percussion, one shots and breaks ect...

Another pack that is atmospheres and pads...

And another pack that is basslines and strange edits or something.

Maybe have a slight discount for people who buy all the packs at once.
I think a lot of people (myself included) only look for certain samples, so it'd be good for people to be able to pay for stuff that they actually want.

I never use bass or atmospheric samples so I find it quite annoying when paying for sample packs that have all this stuff that I don't really need.

If its possible I reckon you'll probably shift more units.
peaceee

biggles, i'm generally turned off by sample packs, and prefer finding samples from random shit elsewhere...which is why i need a mic

but i'd definitely go for this.

Nice one.
I find it really annoying when kick drum one shots have a hi hat layered over the top. It means I have to bastardise the sample with EQ and ect to make it fit with a hi hat that I want to use.

I also find it really annoying when short reverbs are on certain samples. You can get rid of the tail with gates but the reverb is still there during the main part of the drum hit and it makes it add a tinny sort of character to the drum hit.

Definitely. The pack is currently split up into your usual sections, snares, kicks, hats etc. Most of the loops have been cut up into their respective single hits too, so if you like a snare from one loop, but nothing else you should have the single hit in the snare folder.

We've tried to process the samples as little as possible, without making it sound too under-produced if you will. In regards to reverbs especially; I know how you feel! There's only really any reverb on the atmospheres and FX, stuff like drums and basses are all pretty dry.

I had another idea aswell man...

Maybe do multiple packs?

Have one pack that is strictly percussion, one shots and breaks ect...

Another pack that is atmospheres and pads...

And another pack that is basslines and strange edits or something.

Maybe have a slight discount for people who buy all the packs at once.
I think a lot of people (myself included) only look for certain samples, so it'd be good for people to be able to pay for stuff that they actually want.

I never use bass or atmospheric samples so I find it quite annoying when paying for sample packs that have all this stuff that I don't really need.

If its possible I reckon you'll probably shift more units.
peaceee

I understand where you are coming from, but in terms of the way we are approaching it, it would become very over-complicated and messy. With the production of the pack, its just easier to contain everything within it, that was really the idea we had from the beginning. Obviously if you are looking at this from a money oriented view, having multiple packs would be a good choice, but really for us this is a labour of love; hence why we are selling it cheaper. There is no real point of a discount when we will be moving it for a quarter of the price!

If the pack does really well, we will definitely look into producing more packs with the possibility of specialty. That being, we don't really have a plan for it so anything could happen.

Lots of single hits please. I don't find loops very useful.

Of course!

I'll keep you updated, I'll probably put out a news update in the next week or two on my Facebook. We have a rough timeline of two to three weeks before we're selling the pack, there's still a load we need to get through.

Back
Top Bottom