Maztek is giving away all his releases on Hardware for free!

Okay, I just pulled Maztek's - Galactica / Odyssey (example) from my shelf. The sleeve says the following: "COPYRIGHT: RENEGADE HARDWARE MUSIC 2012" What does that mean? It means Renegade Hardware Music is a legal entity (company, firm whatever) - more precisely Renegade Hardware Music Limited - and that company owns the rights to that music. Just like a publisher owns the rights to sell a book.

Now, if the artist sells or otherwise transfers (contract) his music to a label (company), then this artist no longer has the right to sell or otherwise distribute that music (unless otherwise stated in the contract - usually not). These rights have been transferred. Though one cannot transfer non-material rights such as the author or name of the music piece. For example RHW cannot rename the title or change the authors name.

Now, afaik RHWM LTD still exists as a company and presumably still owns the rights. I don't know what kind of an agreement/contract RHW LTD had with Maztek (maybe their contract says that Maztek can distribute that music for free if he got into a fight with Clayton....maybe not), but if we assume that they had an agreement where the rights were transferred and RHW LTD has the exclusive rights, then Maztek is distributing music he no longer owns. Its as if I I start sharing mp3-s on the internet. <-- I'm distributing music and I have no right to do that.

Again, we don't know the facts, so we can only speculate. So, I'm speculating that Maztek is a pirate :)

I wonder if people would big up me, if I started sharing music on the net? Probably not..... wonder why...hmm.

If the label is finishing up, then surely the contract would end. Otherwise the rights to all of its releases would be floating around in legal space. I don't know if the company has "officially" shut down, and it probably hasn't so assuming that the contract ends at the conclusion of business, this is still probably illegal.
This has raised another question for me: would the only way to legally obtain music released on this label after its closure be directly from the artist? I thought the tracks would be pulled from digital stores.

You'd think a company like Renegade Hardware would remain as a business just so that their back catalogue can still be for sale on digital stores, therefore slowly earning money for any artists on the label. Obviously there'd be a small amount of admin but I'd imagine it would be a very part time job for one person to do a few times a year... Would be a bit sad to completely shut down on 20 years of work and make it completely unavailable by legal means.

You can still buy Digital Soundboy stuff but they're recent. Can anyone think of an older label that shut down and the music is still available for purchase?

You'd think a company like Renegade Hardware would remain as a business just so that their back catalogue can still be for sale on digital stores, therefore slowly earning money for any artists on the label. Obviously there'd be a small amount of admin but I'd imagine it would be a very part time job for one person to do a few times a year... Would be a bit sad to completely shut down on 20 years of work and make it completely unavailable by legal means.

Nowadays RH is:
- Scott running the label
- Clayton running events

Both stopped now but I don't think you can referr them to let's say companies like Hospital or RAM. These are businesses with multiple associates I doubt that's the case in the last 5 years with RH. I doubt they redistribute the money that is coming in over the years, just an assumption tho.
I guess it's pointless to sue an italian producer that has only been signed in the last 5 years over tracks that probably not made the earnings "Messiah" did and aren't considered as classics from the catalogue. (not much money lost)
As well even tho he's giving it away for free, people that are not aware of it will still buy the music over stores as it's still available to buy and I doubt they will shut down that part.

Okay, I just pulled Maztek's - Galactica / Odyssey (example) from my shelf. The sleeve says the following: "COPYRIGHT: RENEGADE HARDWARE MUSIC 2012" What does that mean? It means Renegade Hardware Music is a legal entity (company, firm whatever) - more precisely Renegade Hardware Music Limited - and that company owns the rights to that music. Just like a publisher owns the rights to sell a book.

Now, if the artist sells or otherwise transfers (contract) his music to a label (company), then this artist no longer has the right to sell or otherwise distribute that music (unless otherwise stated in the contract - usually not). These rights have been transferred. Though one cannot transfer non-material rights such as the author or name of the music piece. For example RHW cannot rename the title or change the authors name.

Now, afaik RHWM LTD still exists as a company and presumably still owns the rights. I don't know what kind of an agreement/contract RHW LTD had with Maztek (maybe their contract says that Maztek can distribute that music for free if he got into a fight with Clayton....maybe not), but if we assume that they had an agreement where the rights were transferred and RHW LTD has the exclusive rights, then Maztek is distributing music he no longer owns. Its as if I I start sharing mp3-s on the internet. <-- I'm distributing music and I have no right to do that.

Again, we don't know the facts, so we can only speculate. So, I'm speculating that Maztek is a pirate :)

I wonder if people would big up me, if I started sharing music on the net? Probably not..... wonder why...hmm.

Isn't it RH that all the artists complain they never get paid off?

If there are any contracts I'm pretty sure that's a breach of them therefore, I doubt they will be taking anyone to court.

Well that settles that then!

nTOWoIb.png

I did it because i was never paid a cent so they did not respect the contract.. they said to go to my page and download for free to not look bad.

Whoa, that's awesome bro, thanks. Huge tunes.

Sorry to hear they ripped you off. Hard to believe the label of my dreams when I was 21 did this to everyone they 'signed'.

You can still buy Digital Soundboy stuff but they're recent. Can anyone think of an older label that shut down and the music is still available for purchase?

Are they selling Maztek tunes? Because this reaks of lawsuit waiting to happen

I don't think I know your tunes, link?

Just because it says one thing or the other on the sleeve doesn't necessarily make it so.

If they didn't honour their end of the bargain, there is no reason for the artist to, i think renegade hardwares business conduct is disgusting.
I wanted to think kemal and spor were exceptions, but no, it's the rule.

Nowadays RH is:
- Scott running the label
- Clayton running events

Both stopped now but I don't think you can referr them to let's say companies like Hospital or RAM. These are businesses with multiple associates I doubt that's the case in the last 5 years with RH. I doubt they redistribute the money that is coming in over the years, just an assumption tho.
I guess it's pointless to sue an italian producer that has only been signed in the last 5 years over tracks that probably not made the earnings "Messiah" did and aren't considered as classics from the catalogue. (not much money lost)
As well even tho he's giving it away for free, people that are not aware of it will still buy the music over stores as it's still available to buy and I doubt they will shut down that part.

Theyve ripped of some of the greatest in the music, and they keep a revenue stream by putting on events, and peddling their catalogue of stolen tunes, how mad is that.

Maztek is not messiah, no, but they ripped them off too, so it hardly makes any difference.

All in all, never put a cent in these assholes pockets ever again.

Shame as i respected RH alot

Clayton not so much... Alf doe... legend..

Alf does respect RH tbf

Did you know Willie Tanner got caught in a crack house and the creator of Alf was a heroin monster? There's a movie with Ben Stiller about it and all.

I want to change the icon for the thread to Alf but I don't know if we have that functionality

Back
Top Bottom