Maximizer's and when to use them?

DanDnB

Bass and Drums
Hey guys,

When do you use a maximizer? I'm in reason 4.0 and Pro tools, and I never knew exactly what they did.

Can someone tell me when would be a good time to use one?

Thanks!!

I don't know about you but I'll use one now and again when i'm in the mastering process. Once all the levels are good and and i've made sure the track ain't peaking i'll play around a bit with maximizers, multiband compressors, EQing etc. All on the Master buss.

More often than not i'll just revert back to the way it was but once in a while a bit of weight can be added.

I don't know about you but I'll use one now and again when i'm in the mastering process. Once all the levels are good and and i've made sure the track ain't peaking i'll play around a bit with maximizers, multiband compressors, EQing etc. All on the Master buss.

More often than not i'll just revert back to the way it was but once in a while a bit of weight can be added.

What exactly is it supposed to do? I am not sure when to use one on an individual synthesizer, or on the entire track...

I think it's simply used to give sound more of an impact and weight. From what I hear it seems to raise the lows an mids. Definitely it beefs up subbass/kicks/snares and seems to widen up synths in the 500Hz-1kHz Range

The MClass Maximizer is an advanced tool designed to maximize the volume of your Reason tracks, without crushing them or introducing other unwanted artifacts. The Maximizer features a Limiter section - with switchable look-ahead, for distortion- free brickwall limiting - and a Soft Clip section which gently rounds off the edges. Set your input gain and adjust the attack, release and clip amount settings for a loud, proud sound

As a rule of thumb, I've always stayed away from using things that have "izer" in their name. The fragment "izer" seems to imply that something is automatically being done for you. While this might work for mundane things, drum n bass is life...best done by creatures, not machines. A bit philosophical, yes...but again, I've always stayed away from "izers" of any sort. These are things that you can train yourself to do better than any machine.

EZ.
Josh G

As a rule of thumb, I've always stayed away from using things that have "izer" in their name. The fragment "izer" seems to imply that something is automatically being done for you. While this might work for mundane things, drum n bass is life...best done by creatures, not machines. A bit philosophical, yes...but again, I've always stayed away from "izers" of any sort. These are things that you can train yourself to do better than any machine.

EZ.
Josh G

Oh word... I do agree!

Nice first post, welcome to the forum.

I stay away from breathilizers too...

:andy:

Oh word... I do agree!

Nice first post, welcome to the forum.

I stay away from breathilizers too...

:andy:

Thanks for the welcome, mate. Yeah...went to register and realized I had registered before...not sure when, but prolly a while back. Been in the game a while though, mate ;) .

Thanks again.
Josh G

Back
Top Bottom