Mathematical and artistic proof that jungle is the greatest music.

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
If you don't know what the golden ratio is, read here. If you don't care about the fundaments of music and art, there's a discussion about blap-blap semi-automatics going on right now somewhere else.

Back to the subject at hand.

A mathematician took a look at the Amen and had an epiphany (that's not a type of pill, to nick from Banksy).

"To appreciate this relationship between the Golden Ratio and sound, it's worthwhile to consider some of the ideal, eternal, unchanging principles of Golden relationships which can only be approximated in nature, and byartists, architects and musicians. I'm not going to re-teach here everything there is to know about this wonderful ratio since some great websites already tell you everything you want to know, such as this and this. Most pertinently, information about the appearance of the Golden Ratio in worldwide music, such as in the work of the classical composers Mozart, Beethoven, Bartok, Debussy and Satie can be found here."

"Human bodies and created sounds, like flowers, crystals and galaxies, can never exactly equal any ideal mathematical template. But the major wave peaks of the Amen Break, and many of its smaller ones, seem reasonably close to being an expression of the fractal nature of the wonderful Golden Ratio. I wonder what it would sound like if it was more precisely proportioned to the ideal, but I also know that slight differences are what make it human and alive."

http://www.constructingtheuniverse.com/Amen Break and GR.html

So there you are. Proof that the amen is an expression of the Golden Ratio. The early jungle pioneers didn't know about this... but they had the feeling that there was something implicitly beautiful about the beat.

So the next time you get crap for listening to dnb, from somebody who prefers their beats 4x4, boom boom boom boom, just tell them that an amen is a sonic expression of the basic underlying, universal, mathematical ratio for beauty, of the universe, as appreciated and utilised by Pythagoras, Euclid, Leonardo Da Vinci, Fibonacci, Mozart, Beethoven Mondrian and Le Corbusier. Boom boom boom boom is for primitives.

If you don't know what the golden ratio is, read here. If you don't care about the fundaments of music and art, there's a discussion about blap-blap semi-automatics going on right now somewhere else.

A mathematician took a look at the Amen and had an epiphany (that's not a type of pill, to nick from Banksy).

"To appreciate this relationship between the Golden Ratio and sound, it's worthwhile to consider some of the ideal, eternal, unchanging principles of Golden relationships which can only be approximated in nature, and byartists, architects and musicians. I'm not going to re-teach here everything there is to know about this wonderful ratio since some great websites already tell you everything you want to know, such as this and this. Most pertinently, information about the appearance of the Golden Ratio in worldwide music, such as in the work of the classical composers Mozart, Beethoven, Bartok, Debussy and Satie can be found here."

"Human bodies and created sounds, like flowers, crystals and galaxies, can never exactly equal any ideal mathematical template. But the major wave peaks of the Amen Break, and many of its smaller ones, seem reasonably close to being an expression of the fractal nature of the wonderful Golden Ratio. I wonder what it would sound like if it was more precisely proportioned to the ideal, but I also know that slight differences are what make it human and alive."

So there you are. Proof that the amen is an expression of the Golden Ratio. The early jungle pioneers didn't know about this... but they had the feeling that there was something implicitly beautiful about the beat.

So the next time you get crap for listening to dnb, from somebody who prefers their beats 4x4, boom boom boom boom, just tell them that an amen is a sonic expression of the basic underlying, universal, mathematical ratio for beauty, of the universe, as appreciated and utilised by Pythagoras, Euclid, Leonardo Da Vinci, Fibonacci, Mozart, Beethoven Mondrian and Le Corbusier. Boom boom boom boom is for primitives.

I LOVE YOU MAN!! hahaha

how the hell did you find that??

Gonna pass that page round the office!!

it's always blown my mind how maths can explain everything. and i remember at school sitting in maths class thinking how useless most of it seemed when i wanted to be a designer. well... maths has shut me the fuck up*

the fractals in nature thing is pretty wicked, but my brain is struggling to relate it to the golden ratio.

Don't worry about the 'fractal nature' too much, it just means that the Golden Ratio repeats itself at many levels.
amen6.jpg

"And furthermore, its expanding (and subdividing) Golden Ratios resemble the Golden divisions of the human body but in audible form. I suppose it might appear in music most conducive to dancing. And also singing and chanting, since a great deal of sacred architecture around the world had been consciously designed in the Golden Ratio to make such use of it's self-reflecting internal harmonious relationships."

"And furthermore, its expanding (and subdividing) Golden Ratios resemble the Golden divisions of the human body but in audible form. I suppose it might appear in music most conducive to dancing. And also singing and chanting, since a great deal of sacred architecture around the world had been consciously designed in the Golden Ratio to make such use of it's self-reflecting internal harmonious relationships."

interesting, i always thought it was crazy how adrenaline and serotonin levels are (so I assume) affected by the presence of such "audible" stimulation. lol, and no im not taking any drugs that alter these levels when i came to this realization! Just the "rush" of being behind the decks or around the sound for that matter; shit is crazy.

...sorry to get philosophical/cheesy on ya! BUT it is true, guess thats why all of us are so intrigued by this sound that others throw out after just a minute; "it's like the same beat over and over again!" so much to it... some will never know

lol im gonna be usin that 1!

:1: Dustek this forum wouldnt be the same without you! your threads are always worth the read. (y)

bumpin this thread because there is a serious lack of intelligent discussion on the board since big d don't come round no more

:word:

seriously though. there's many times i've thought about, and even gone about typing a whole thread up (but deleted) because i just thought, 'what's the point?' it don't matter.

jump vs liquid vs wat does vip mean b2b top 3 djs/mcs of all time

Last edited:

it's get to know time

This is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone ever read the book called the Golden Ratio by Mario Livio? It's good.

Fractals and Phi (greek letter for the golden ratio) are closely tied.

Although you can perturb a fractal by whole numbers (for instance, start with a square and place squares on all 4 corners that are half (1/2) the size, then place more squares on those squares that are half the size etc.. until infinity).

The point at which the fractals branches just touch eachother (when the fractal branches actually meet) is when you add divisions of 'squares' that are 1/phi in size of the original. Phi is tied into everything. It's gods number.

Phi is also the ONLY NUMBER that can satisfy the following.

1/phi = phi - 1

and

phi ^ 2 = phi + 1

Try this on a calculator, where phi = 1.61803399 (approx).

This is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone ever read the book called the Golden Ratio by Mario Livio? It's good.

Fractals and Phi (greek letter for the golden ratio) are closely tied.

Although you can perturb a fractal by whole numbers (for instance, start with a square and place squares on all 4 corners that are half (1/2) the size, then place more squares on those squares that are half the size etc.. until infinity).

The point at which the fractals branches just touch eachother (when the fractal branches actually meet) is when you add divisions of 'squares' that are 1/phi in size of the original. Phi is tied into everything. It's gods number.

Phi is also the ONLY NUMBER that can satisfy the following.

1/phi = phi - 1

and

phi ^ 2 = phi + 1

Try this on a calculator, where phi = 1.61803399 (approx).

:rinsed:

Back
Top Bottom