Matching tempo of vocal sample to my beat

Discussion in 'Production' started by djnewton, Aug 13, 2010.

1. djnewton

djnewton No comment

How can I match in fruity loops the sample to my project tempo? I know I can use the time stretch but this is pretty much trial and error. I sthat the only way?

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

If you know the tempo of the original vocal it's pretty simple. Drag and drop the sample into slicex (I presume you have it? It should come with the FL bundle). Then when you have it in slicex, just above the waveform you should see the name of the sample, right click it and it'll bring up an info box, just enter the original bpm of the sample in the bpm box and accept.

Now, drag the waveform into the automation section of the player (depending on which version of FL you are using it will either be above or below the main track section). Once in there, bring up your step sequencer and find the audio clip, select that and it will bring up the section where you can time stretch etc etc. Where it says "resample", click that and a drop down box will appear, choose speech, then right click the "time" dial and choose auto detect. This should set your sample to the beat without pitching up or down. You have to know the exact tempo of the original beat for this to work.

If however you dont know the original tempo, then I'm afraid it is just trial and error

3. krease

krease Member

you need to make sure the vocal works with dnb first, whilst listening to the acapella try beatboxing to it and see if it flows, i tend to write the tune slower than dnb speed then change the temp after its finished....just my method.

4. Dj Locust

Dj Locust Member

if you drag the sample on the playlist, there should be a small triangle next to the name.
    click it and you should see "fit to tempo"

5. djnewton

djnewton No comment

Thanks for the help. I dont know the original tempo but its an old famous song so i'm gonna try see if i can get it. Its actually for a house tune, but i have a dnb tune that would benefit too. cheers again

6. duppymanDnB

duppymanDnB New Member

7. djnewton

djnewton No comment

ha, i think we have the same sample pack. nice choons on the cloud so i'm following you

8. Nautilus

Nautilus Member

theres also a function inside of slicex to get a fairly accurate bpm of the sample. right click next to the empty temp box above the sample view, and do "autodetect".