mastering

this is a re-up.
Anyone know any good quality, fair priced mastering services?
cheers peeps

Beau Thomas @ Masterpeice in Fullham.

He masters and cuts pretty much all the RAM stuff, Ganja, Shogun stuff and all Andy's, Friction's, Hype's, Die's etc dubplates.

You only have to type in his name on discogs to see some of his projects.

The guy is an expert in mastering DNB and getting things sounding as fat & loud as he possibly can - that's why the cream go to him.

He's a very good friend of mine so tell him Steve Hawes referred you and he'll sort you out.

I'm assuming it's unrealistic to learn how to master your own stuff?

I'm asking this for myself because I am working on an album and I'd really like not to have to pay to have all the tunes sampled LOL.

Mastering your own work kinda eats away some of it's meaning. It's really priceless to have it worked on by an outsider that doesn't have any preassumptions about the track. But if you really have to, there are a lot of guides online, this would seem like a promising one: http://www.tweakheadz.com/mastering_your_audio.htm

Here's the basics:

The mastering chain usually consists of a linear phase EQ, a compressor and maybe a stereo widener at some point. At the end you'll have a limiter.

Linear phase EQ is important because it will not affect the phasing of the track. Look up some chart about the effects of different area of the spectrum to help here.

The compressor is not meant to kill peaks, so you can have a bigger attack and release than single channel compressors. When looking for the right settings, try to set them according to the rythmic content (not just drums, all rythmic content) on the track. You should also keep the ratio relatively small to avoid heavy pumping artifacts, at most 2:1. This is meant to glue your mix together. If your kick or bass is really heavy and sounds good that way, you can drop some low end off from the sidechain filter. Most master buss compressors have one.

The limiter should be set at relatively low values. For example the L2: start dragging down on the button that affects both sliders. Then when you start hearing the pumping, go back a few notches, set the output value to -0.2 and you're set.

All this is really simplified, but it's a start anyway.

Mastering your own work kinda eats away some of it's meaning. It's really priceless to have it worked on by an outsider that doesn't have any preassumptions about the track. But if you really have to, there are a lot of guides online, this would seem like a promising one: http://www.tweakheadz.com/mastering_your_audio.htm

Here's the basics:

The mastering chain usually consists of a linear phase EQ, a compressor and maybe a stereo widener at some point. At the end you'll have a limiter.

Linear phase EQ is important because it will not affect the phasing of the track. Look up some chart about the effects of different area of the spectrum to help here.

The compressor is not meant to kill peaks, so you can have a bigger attack and release than single channel compressors. When looking for the right settings, try to set them according to the rythmic content (not just drums, all rythmic content) on the track. You should also keep the ratio relatively small to avoid heavy pumping artifacts, at most 2:1. This is meant to glue your mix together. If your kick or bass is really heavy and sounds good that way, you can drop some low end off from the sidechain filter. Most master buss compressors have one.

The limiter should be set at relatively low values. For example the L2: start dragging down on the button that affects both sliders. Then when you start hearing the pumping, go back a few notches, set the output value to -0.2 and you're set.

All this is really simplified, but it's a start anyway.

Thanks!

Feeling your sound a lot, by the way. Force of Nature is niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Should be put on Good Lookin Records :)

Beau Thomas @ Masterpeice in Fullham.

He masters and cuts pretty much all the RAM stuff, Ganja, Shogun stuff and all Andy's, Friction's, Hype's, Die's etc dubplates.

You only have to type in his name on discogs to see some of his projects.

The guy is an expert in mastering DNB and getting things sounding as fat & loud as he possibly can - that's why the cream go to him.

He's a very good friend of mine so tell him Steve Hawes referred you and he'll sort you out.

If you look on the inside part of the vinyl on Ram, Ganja etc you can see Beau's name engraved. Pretty cool!

Whee! Just got a clip back from Resoundsound mastering - sounds great from what I can tell, and should be ready for burning or whatever. Should be getting the full tune back in a few days...

I'll upload in a minute.

Here's the unmastered clip. The biggest peaks after mixdown were at -1.7dB. This was rare however, and mostly the tune was peaking at about -3.5dB. For reference, I've normalized the track to -0.1dB, which is the same that the mastered version seems to be peaking at.

Attachments

• earthlings-unmastered.mp3
    892.2 KB · Views: 74
And here is the mastered version: it seems that the lows and highs are in better balance against each other, and while the clip is much louder than the original clip, there doesnt seem to be any major pumping due to limiting or compression. This is something I've never achieved in home mastering - loudness without artifacts.

Attachments

• earthlings-mastered.mp3
    954.3 KB · Views: 79
Hey peoples! this is Joe from Subsequent Mastering.

I provide, like someone said, the first tune for you completely free as a taster, no demo quality, just a free finished product.

for information of my prices, and how to get in touch if you are interested, please check..

http://www.subsequentmastering.com

or email

subsequentstudio@hotmail.com

or ring me (UK Mobile) 07815595514

to discuss your needs!

thanks

Joe @ Subsequent

I sent something to him, I'll be back on it.

So far so good

And here is the mastered version: it seems that the lows and highs are in better balance against each other, and while the clip is much louder than the original clip, there doesnt seem to be any major pumping due to limiting or compression. This is something I've never achieved in home mastering - loudness without artifacts.

I've just achieved a love for your music.

Back
Top Bottom