Mastering

B

BDS

I havent got monitors so when i have finished making a tune I cant master it efectively.

is there anywhere you can send a tune when its finished to give it a nice qaulity mixdown?

or not?

yeh corse there is, just google mastering studios, theres one in brighton called massive masters and for £45 they master two tunes and wack em on dub for you

yeh corse there is, just google mastering studios, theres one in brighton called massive masters and for £45 they master two tunes and wack em on dub for you
I do like the sound of this 1^^

but its probably too good to be true.

Anyone who knows how to EQ, Compress and limit can master your track for you. Alternativley expect to pay between £30 upwards per hr for a mastering engineer in a pro studio. If you are planning on cutting the track onto acetate the engineer who's cutting your track should master the track for you.
Try 'Beau' at Heathmans Mastering.....
This guy will get your track sounding as good as possible. It may not be the cheapest around but he'll do a wicked job! He's mastered alot of the big names in the scene.
Andy C, Subfocus, Friction, Chase & Status, Fresh etc all use Beau for their dubs.

Yeh im with Subsonic there..... NEVER COMPRESS!!! the worst thing you can do to your track is compress it..... especially drums..... its such a common mistake! everyone seems to think thats what your meant todo...... well its not........... when you go to a mastering studio they have £2000/3000 compressors and EQ units...... why in the world would you think your £10-100 or even illegally obtained software compressor is gonna be any good.... hahaha....

anyway!!

I use Transitions near Forest Hill...... really good...... Formation, Grid etc all have there shit mastered there........ but make sure you get the older guy if you go...... the young dude is a hip-hop guy....... cant master dnb for shit!!

Transitions Mastering Studio - 0208 6997888

how much does this guy charge keeping in mind im a vinyl junkie i dont think i could afford this guy and my tracks wud be an embarrasment at this stage to send to the guy who does subfocus's (or as rock has just said SS's )mixdowns.

how much does this guy charge keeping in mind im a vinyl junkie i dont think i could afford this guy and my tracks wud be an embarrasment at this stage to send to the guy who does subfocus's (or as rock has just said SS's )mixdowns.

Transitions is between £30-40 for a 10'' or £40-50 for a 12''

i say 30-40 cause he seems to charge my mate..... £40 and when i go he charges me 30..... been going there for years so understandable...... but anyway.... bell him..... ask about his prices and get yourself booked in!!!

to b honest.........do a good mixdown and if it gets sighned the label will get it mastered.for puttin on dubplate i wouldnt even bother.the dubplate people do tweak it a little wich is good enuff for what u want it for.

well put Mr. Ace

Mastering is a whole art by itself it is not something a plugin or an article will help you do... It takes practice just like anything else.

I do like the sound of this 1^^

but its probably too good to be true.

mate i got 2 tunes done, of corse they dont do the mixdown for you lmao, mastering dosnt change the sound of your track, it just boosts the areas that need boosting and if the enginneers good then they take away frequencies that are not not needed in the mix that are quite hard to hear.
but i swear down its like £40-£45 for two tracks pressed to one plate (a-b sides)
heres the link, dont think the prices are on there though you will have to give em a ring.
http://www.massivemasters.co.uk/

BDS - you sure you know what you mean by mastering?

Don't you mean a mixdown - when you balance all the elements (drums, bass, other instruments) in the tracks together? Mastering adds or takes away frequencies but it won't boost one element of a song or balance them. So if your key stabs aren't punchy enough - you won't get them louder in the mastering (without boosting at the same time other instruments on the same frequencies). You won't be able to balance the drums vs bass etc. Well actually a very good engineeer could do this indirectly - but it takes time and good engineers are as expensive as good lawyers. Its the equivalent of changing the sounds of a track using an equaliser.

If you haven't got monitors, you're not going to be able to mixdown. And a mixdown service is expensive - you have to send an engineer all the elements of your tracks and he balances them in the same software you used (or transfers them to another piece of software).

thats what i mean dustek

looks like im gonna have to save my pennies for sum half decent monitors then.

any 1 know any qaulity reasonable priced ones?

How much you're looking to spend ?
imo, the Alesis m1 are the best entry level monitors. Round £200 for the pair, and if you take care of them they'll last for years. Mine still sound right after 3 years. Cant say they're amazingly accurate, and the lower bass sucks, but theyreeasy to get used to, and fairly easy to work with for long times.
Also check the Yamaha HS50, at about the same price, or the bigger and beefier HS80, but you'll need to put em in a fairly big room to utilise their output.
If you looking to spend more, the Adam A7 are pure sex.! but as anything sexual, they come at a cost. about £250....each..! but soooo nice. (imo)
Other than that, can i suggest a good pair of headphones with a decent amp ?
loads of acclaimed producers write their music on hi fi speakers,and mixdown on cans.
check the sennheiser d600, or my lovely beyerdynamic D770, or the D880 if you're feeling pimpin.
(y)

Last edited:
M1 Alesis monitors are the nuts! Have has mine bout 2 years and they quality!!! If you don't buy them i might buy them again and have 4.

Back
Top Bottom