Mastering Tracks

Discussion in 'Production' started by dafo93, Apr 17, 2010.

1. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

I don't want to sound like a noob or like I'm leeching info, but I'm not really getting the hang of how to go about mastering my tunes properly - I can make them sound pretty loud, but at the same time losing some of the dynamics of the track. It's strange, because I'll have a track where the raw mix sounds awesome, but once I put a mastering tool on it (e.g. Maximus or in FL) or multiband compressors the snare will become muddy, lost in the mix, and so will other elements of the track, while sounding awesome in the raw mix itself. So how would I go about mastering my tune without losing the dynamics of the original mix?

Cheers, appreciated.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Slap the Soundgoodizer onto various channels, or if you're feeling extra lazy, the master channel. :D

3. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

4. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

Nice one guys

5. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

:uberlaugh

just noticed that you got exactly the same link on DOA as well..!

, try to mix into a compressor/limiter instead of slapping it on the already mixed track, gives you a better chance in getting that punchy sound

6. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

Yeah I used to do that but then I thought it'd be better trying to get it to sound awesome with no trickery on the master. Cheers anyway, will try everything out

7. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I used to slap the Soundgoodizer on the master channel, along with the Izotope Ozone 3, loud brickwall preset. Used to give it some oomph. But I've started to learn my mixdowns a little better, and now find these to mostly hinder my production, as they can boost unwanted frequencies.

Personally I would say that if your mix sounds fucking awesome without anything on the master channel, then simply leave it that way. My last 4 tracks have been produced without anything on my master channel, and thats the way I intend to continue.

8. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

9. sato

sato Member

Don't worry fella there is nowt strange about this. That is what these tools do, the squeeze the dynamics of a signal which brings the loudness up. But if you think about it you can't turn the volume of your loudest bits up so they essentially become quieter relative to everything else. All that time you have spent carefully crafting your mix to get all the volumes in proportion becomes wasted.

Until you understand it a bit better just put your mix through a limiter like Waves L2. As you bring the threashold down you will hear the track getting louder. If you keep going you will start to hear the sound degrading and getting mushy. This is always a trade-off that cannot be avoided. How much you squash it comes down to what sound you are going for. If you want a big pushed sound (e.g. Destroyer by a-sides) then squash the hell out of it by all means. The current fashion is for a cleaner sound with more dynamics to the drum hits in which case you don't want much limiting at all if you don't think it is doing much at more 'gentle' settings just try hitting the bypass switch to see just how much louder it has made your track.

I wouldn't recommend mixing through a compressor or limiter until you are more experienced. If you produce an un-compressed mix you can always add compression later. If you compress your mixdown you cannot removed it if you later decide you are not happy with the sound.

10. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

some wise words there^^^

and heres how i go: when producing, i dont got anything on the master bus, to get a nice sound down before i draw out any dynamics. if im mostly happy with the sound, and before bouncing anything down, i put a limiter to the master bus, on a very slight setting, lets say -0.8 db or something like that. then i go back to the tune, and by that time, the limiter shouldnt affect the tune really, or change the sound dramatically, as most of the sounds are not going anywhere near -0.8db.
    then when bouncing down all the stuff, i tend to compress it slightly before the limiter comes in, making everything a bit louder while the limiter eats any unwanted peaks and generally making your sounds more coherent to each other without radically loosing all the dynamics.
    in the end, when all the stuff is bounced down, processed and eqed properly, the limiter just is there so i can mix as loud as possible, without getting any softclipping. and normally i can take that limiter off, and it wouldnt sound really different, apart from the clipping..

i dont know if you get my drift, and i dunno if its any good, regarding wanted headroom for mastering engineers as i never had any tune mastered properly, but i tend to get pretty good results out of that!

so in the end, i guess its all down to personal taste and the sound of the result :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  11. kama

kama benkama.net

:missile:

Legendary. Also some Future Cut older stuff... SHIIIIIIIIT!!!