Mastering Question

Centrepoint

Last's night's work, need's a little something more i reckon, not done an outro yet, i think it get's rolling though, feedback welcomed.

I've got this week off work and plan to re-work, re-arrange, master and finish most of my tunes.

I have never mastered before and wondered if anybody could help me out with a question i have about it....Do you generally just process the song once at the mastering stage or do you keep re-processing the bounced song till you get what you are looking for?

I am guessing you just try and get it right first time...any advice appreciated.

Last's night's work, need's a little something more i reckon, not done an outro yet, i think it get's rolling though, feedback welcomed.

I've got this week off work and plan to re-work, re-arrange, master and finish most of my tunes.

I have never mastered before and wondered if anybody could help me out with a question i have about it....Do you generally just process the song once at the mastering stage or do you keep re-processing the bounced song till you get what you are looking for?

I am guessing you just try and get it right first time...any advice appreciated.

You can process as little or as much as you like. What I would do is bounce your final mix into a new project, duplicate it and then master one of the tracks whilst leaving the other version unchanged, then you can A/B between them as you master. You could then repeat this if you like and compare a number of different masters within the same project file. Make sure they're all at the same volume as your ear perceives loudness as 'better'. Hope this helps.

You can process as little or as much as you like. What I would do is bounce your final mix into a new project, duplicate it and then master one of the tracks whilst leaving the other version unchanged, then you can A/B between them as you master. You could then repeat this if you like and compare a number of different masters within the same project file. Make sure they're all at the same volume as your ear perceives loudness as 'better'. Hope this helps.
Good advice mate, i'll try that, cheers.

This.

I've done this as an experiment before to see how loud i could i get a track and let me tell you, using the right tools you'd be surprised how much you can smash stuff before it sounds shit. This whole 'you only wana do a few db reduction' thing is just bullshit.

Last edited:
Can't boast with a lot of experience in mastering, but what's really made me improve my mastering is constatly referencing your track with a professionally produced track from the same genre. Of course you don't need to try to make it exactly the same, but it really helps, if you can know that you're in the right ball park with dynamics, harmonic balance and loudness.

Can't boast with a lot of experience in mastering, but what's really made me improve my mastering is constatly referencing your track with a professionally produced track from the same genre. Of course you don't need to try to make it exactly the same, but it really helps, if you can know that you're in the right ball park with dynamics, harmonic balance and loudness.
Cheers mate, i have been referencing, and it has helped a lot.

This.

I've done this an experiment before to see how loud i could i get a track and let me tell you, using the right tools you'd be surprised how much you can smash stuff before it sounds shit. This whole 'you only wana do a few db reduction' thing is just bullshit.

Good to hear that there's people with better production quality than mine who also have this mindset. I definitely do agree.

Back
Top Bottom