MASTERING EQ IN FL STUDIO

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
Anyone know the best way to master in FL i know your meant to hit the kick and snare at certain Hz but i dont know how to change this in FL if i change the volume on the mixer it doesnt seem to get it sounding crisp and punchy, does anyone know a good way to master the channels in FL?

thanks

mastering is 2nd to mixdown, see to it you have your sounds grouped in a somewhat orderly fashion in the mixer, turn all of them down, bring up kick, snare, bass, and balance the rest around that. thats one thing you can do to bring the elements you like more to the foreground.
look into eq though, its really a great tool to make your sounds sit nicely in the mix together. the channels in the flp mixer even have their own eqs, readily available to start tweaking with. cutting the lows on all sounds that dont need it (or mids or highs for that matter, it depends on the sound) can free up a lot of headroom.
im being really general here but there isnt much i can say that you cant read in hipnotics tutorial (for example) and just experimenting with it wont show you so much better.
there was a whole list of frequency groups on doa, what to boost for 'sheen' on a snare and whatnot, even available as a windows background, which might sound useful but its really down to your ears and what you hear, no chart or frequency analyzer can really help you that much, you just have to sit down and work it out

kl mate thanks, I low pass breaks/ amen breaks to keep the main kick/snare soundin punchy, should i be doin this to hats or percs as well? And do you think its a good idea to keep the general volume down? Another thing is ive recently been experimenting with compression do you know what to change to get the best out of the sound e.g attack/ Dh/ release etc?

try and keep the volume from running in the red on the vu meters as much as you can. albeit some sounds actually benefit from a bit of digital clipping, but try and stay out of the red, as a rule.
usually breaks do not need to be lowpassed in their entirety, no. i think its more common to highpass them and layer extra kicks and snares on top of it.
or you can of course do both and put them on top of each other. could be fun.
so lowpass stuff that dont need high freqs, highpass stuff that doesnt need low frequencies.
for example hihats, high strings, swooshes, and similar do not need low freqs.
subby basses, some kicks, percussion, dont need high freqs.
i use filters as effects mostly, filtersweeps for pads and warps and so, i use the EQ a bit differently. but they are of course pretty much the same thing.
ill use the eq to clean up a sound or take away a little in the middle to leave more room for something else that ill boost in that same area.
like plus and minus basically. do you know the hipnotic mixing tutorial? its really good, ill see if i cant find a link. its more better at explaning than me.

Last edited:
Hi there, the issue that you will have is not the EQ in use but whether you can accurately hear what is in your mix to start with.

Without decent full range monitors and a well treated room it will be a struggle. Just try
listening to whatever you end up doing on numerous speakers as a double check. You could do more damage than good.

cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom