Mastering Companys

Not to sound like an idiot towards you man, but if you send a tune to a label, you should want it to sound the cats whiskers with a cherry on top with bells hanging from its ears.

The way your descibing it is like a car designer going; here is the new ferarri designs, btw - i couldnt be bothered to draw the wheels, but you can guess what they look like.

I got a good 300+ dubs on my HD at the moment and they are all 320's or wavs. I dont even upload my podcasts at 128kbs, thats just an insult for the listener. If I produce something, EG. podcast, tune or mix I want it to be the best quality possible, so when someone hears it they think 'woah that was amazing' not 'ermm yeh alright i suppose'

Fair enough mate, but your analogy is lacking imo: I would make this comparison though. It's like showing a new car design but in black in white. The stats are all there too, so you know the car is going to haul ass, it's just that it's in black and white.

Fair enough that you prefer high quality versions of your music, I second that, but I also have plenty of 128s/192s that I've dled from unsigned artists over the years that sound fine... enough for listening, I wouldn't spin professionaly with anything less than a 320 or Wav though so I share your thoughts on how to present music to an audience, but for me personally: as long as the track sounds clean I'm fine.

Hell, case in point, I'm looking at it right now... I've got a Takomo Nuskool Breakbeat track, "Sniper Funk" and it's a bloody 96, lol... and it rocks my (2) 12"s in my car... yeah, the mids and highs are no where near as crisp as a 320 or Wav would be but I know from listening to the track on multiple systems that the Mix is solid and that a 320 or Wav would scream. That was the point I was trying to make... is that anyone who's experienced enough with listening to music should be able to hear a low quality version of a track and know if it's going to sound good at a higher bitrate or as a Wav.

To each their own though, I'm obviously preaching to the choir : )

^^ Spot on, of course tunes need to be played out to see what reaction they get. Drum and bass labels aren't going to be aiming at a market of hi-fi enthusiasts sitting at home going "blimey old chap, the feel of this track is spiffing". The ravers "hopped up on god knows what" are usualy the people buying the music, any label that signs things purely off the back of what their personal likes and dislikes are without taking into consideration the target audience, wont be a label for very long.

Understood guys... lol, this is why you couldn't pay me to be "signed" to a Label.
Making Music is a Hobby = art... not a business. But that's me.

:rinsed:

I think that just makes everything you've said not worth reading.

Ha, I must be the only guy in the world that can do it then... you guys give 'way' too much credit to making this music, listening to this music, and judging quality.

Call me arrogant if you will... Music is Easy.

You guys make it harder than it is, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdQSUkiD9M&NR=1

So are you guys telling me you can't tell this Mix is quality because the upload isn't a 320 or a Wav?

It's easy for me to tell that all the elements in this Mix are where they need to be and that a high quality version of this tune would rock. You don't have to be a genius to be able to make this distinction....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdQSUkiD9M&NR=1

So are you guys telling me you can't tell this Mix is quality because the upload isn't a 320 or a Wav?

It's easy for me to tell that all the elements in this Mix are where they need to be and that a high quality version of this tune would rock. You don't have to be a genius to be able to make this distinction....

Sounds horrible on my monitors, and yes i can tell.

As for the rest of what you've said, you're just wrong dude. If someone sent me a 128 i'd think they were mad... have never received anything other than a 320...

Understood guys... lol, this is why you couldn't pay me to be "signed" to a Label.
Making Music is a Hobby = art... not a business. But that's me.[/b[

Ha, I must be the only guy in the world that can do it then... you guys give 'way' too much credit to making this music, listening to this music, and judging quality.

Call me arrogant if you will... Music is Easy.

You guys make it harder than it is, lol.

Highlighted the bit u said its not a business but a hobby or art as in ur sig uve put "music is a serious business"

LOL

/thread

By far the best place & person to master DnB is Beau Thomas at Masterpeice in Fullham. Beau masters & cuts all Andy's, Frictions, hype's (before he switched to serato), Nicky BM, Die's dubplates etc - and has been for donkeys years. He also masters pretty much all the major label such as Ram, playaz, shogun, etc and all Break's, Calyx & Teebee's, vicious circle's tunes to name but a few. Look on the majority of your vinyl over the last 10+ years and you'll see 'beau' etched in the plastic near the label. I often go up and see him there and he's a genius in getting the most out of a tune for cutting to vinyl.
Oh, and I'd personally send an aiff or a WAV as they have no compression applied. Even an MP3 320 has tiny sections removed and filled with White noise to create a more compressed file which does compromise slightly on quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
if anyone else is interested in getting a FREE mastering sample from Tekmastering.co.uk then please send a 1 min WAV clip of your track [-3db to -6db headroom].....upload it to sendspace.com or similar site and then email the download link to matt@tekmastering.co.uk ,

I'll then master the clip and send it back to you.

for more info on Tekmastering.co.uk please visit :

http://www.tekmastering.co.uk

on the spam flex tekky. /\/\ if people wnat to get tuned astered cheap and chearfull i'd suggest trying tek although (no offence) you get what you pay for and teksteppa wont compare to £80 a track mastering but he will accheive what alot of bedroom producers will struggle to do. im sure he wont mind me saying that.

Oh yea and with free samples its win win

Thats a fair comment , but I think you'll be surprised with the results from Tekmastering.co.uk

Alot of established artists are now using my services , i.e. 2-Bit Thugs , Jeystone , and many more

Best thing you could do really is , find a company that charges say £80 for a master and supply you with a FREE sample , then get a free sample of them , and compare their free master with one of my free masters! Then you might find your saving yourself £50+ each time you want a track mastered!!!!!

We aim to provide a cost effective service with quality results....

For a FREE sample , simply send a 1 min sample [wav format] of you creation to matt@tekmastering.co.uk

Send it via sendspace.com or similar site and email me the link

I'll then master it and send you the mastered sample for your approval.......

http://www.tekmastering.co.uk

Hey, just found this thread while trawling through.

What people are saying about the mixdown needing to be perfect is true, but if he says it's there, who's to say he's wrong?

Anyway, on the subject of actual mastering companies, I run one, here is the link http://www.subsequentmastering.com, or drop me an email on subsequentstudio at hot mail dot com

Thanks, Joe

IMO mixdown the tune as best as you can, then send 320 mp3s to the labels that you want, if the tune gets signed, the label will provide the mastering, most important thing is the mixdown though, that needs to be top notch, as for the mastering easy enough for the label to get it sorted, if you want the tune to be mastered so you can play it out etc then to my knowledge theres some mastering services floating around on here, probably even mentioned in some of the previous posts. For sending tunes to labels, from my experience always send a 320. wavs are too long to send and arent needed unless the label wants to sign them, i wouldnt ever send anything less than 320. Hope this is useful.

Back
Top Bottom