Mastering by Fanu

Discussion in 'Production' started by fanu, May 10, 2016.

1. fanu

fanu Active Member

[​IMG]

Hi there! You probably know some of my frantic breakbeat D&B productions I do as Fanu.

I offer mixing and mastering services to producers and run a dedicated company for it these days.

I have always produced all of my music myself. I also master all of my own music these days. I’ve also learned a lot about mixing by learning mastering.

I have been listening to drum&bass and related bass music for over 20 years; I know how the music is supposed to sound, and with my service, I’m ready to make your song stand up to the commercial ones and competition.
    During mastering process, I’m also ready to give you feedback on your mix.

In mastering, I treat and polish the master file and make it as balanced, clear, punchy, fat, and polished as I can.
    In mixing, do the all of the aforementioned, but before mastering, I mix the song from provided stems (separate tracks).

I mix and master all genres, and have successfully worked with most genres there is.

More info: http://fanumusic.com/mastering/

PRICING:
    •mastering 1–4 songs: €36 per song
    • mastering 5 songs or more: €33 per song
    [batch discounts for albums / 4+ songs (case-specific)]
    • mixing+mastering a song from stems: €45 per hour
    • mixdown/production tips: €15 (does not include mastering). Want a fresh set of ears only to comment on your mix/production but don’t need mastering? “Check out my song and let me know how you feel about it.” I’ll take a listen and let you know!
    • revisions: no charge – I’m proud to make it just like you want it for no extra charge
    • mastering for vinyl: no extra charge
    • various audio work (cleaning up recordings, production advice, etc): €35 per hour
    • test mastering: I don’t offer free “test mastering”: I only charge a client if they’re happy – and they always are.
    (Just as any legal business, I am required by law to add VAT to the prices if 1) you are a client in the EU and 2) are not VAT-registered)

I am proud to say my company is supported by Audeze, Universal Audio, and Slate Digital.

Those willing to get their songs loud and clear can contact me by emailing me: fanusamurai@gmail.com
    You can kick it all off by sending me a link to a .wav/.aiff file with no limiting at all on the master. Leave some headroom – any headroom is fine.

There's some examples.
    I can provide before/after examples on request.

Actual feedback from clients here.

I'm willing to answer any questions, so feel free to hit me up.

-Janne aka Fanu

2. Derelicts Of Tomorrow

Derelicts Of Tomorrow Breaksmith

i'll have my label get in touch homie. you are amazing ;)

fanu likes this.
  3. Kyam_Music

Kyam_Music New Member

Was massively happy with the masters you've done for me, looking forward to getting some more bits to you this year!

4. fanu

fanu Active Member

[​IMG]

I am extremely happy and proud to say Universal Audio are now supporting my company.
    This means all engineering (mixing and mastering) done by yours truly will be using the whole range of all available UAD plugins.
    This means even more analog sweetness in the chain. I have been a fan of UAD for a good while, so I am beyond stoked about this.

[​IMG]

Also, Sonarworks hooked me up with their room calibration system and headphone correction plugin...things are getting even better.
    It's fairly busy here TBH! Waiting time usually 4-5 days.
    Current pricing: http://fanumusic.com/mastering/

5. fanu

fanu Active Member

[​IMG]

This is an excerpt from a paper for TC Electronics relating to loudness, perception of transients, etc (at http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/2040040/mobile-test-paper-2013.pdf).
    This is quite shocking: simply, younger generation don't know as much about transients in music as the older generation because they're more used to music that's been smashed (heavily compressed and limited for the sake of loudness), which means its transients aren't that punchy anymore.

Let's not get crazy with the loudness.

Mastering By Fanu is proud to provide you with punchy AND (reasonably) loud masters that sure as heck aren't compressed lifeless.
    (PLR = peak-to-loudness ratio, where higher PLR indicates more dynamic material, modern music being lower on that scale)

6. fanu

fanu Active Member

TOO LOUD IS TOO LOUD (can you hear me?!)

A good bad example here in terms of super-loud and squashed music that just sounds lifeless and does not hit as hard as the producer or mastering engineer probably intended.
    The whole song's ridiculous, and what's worse, that kind of music does sell, gets a lot of plays etc.
    The Youtube video has got over 13 million plays.
    Can you imagine that teaching the younger generation how they want their music to sound?
    Recently read some paper by TC Electronics that said that according to a study conducted by them, the younger generation is not as able to "hear" transients as much as older generations.
    (the paper is at http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/2040040/mobile-test-paper-2013.pdf)

And that's what people want. Every now and then I get mixing/mastering a client who wants an extra loud mix/master. I often provide a more level-sensible version, but they don't listen to or appreciate how much better it sounds – they keep saying "Push it up!" until the level matches with that of some of their ridiculously loud reference track. If only they knew they are not really "gaining" as much with their music that way as they'd like to think. It's just the chase for the loudness often set by producers who can't even respect punchy music.
    If you listen to this song *level-matched* and compare it to, say, nineties hip hop or jungle, and you'll realize they'll hit your face and chest with their beats and bass WAY harder than Purple Lamborghini, which'll sound super lifeless in level-matched comparison.

7. Goaty

Goaty INTAGOATY STYLE RUN WILD

Hey man really love your music, but can you tell me more about transients ? I thought you can here plenty of transients getting drunk down the park... musical transients ? I hear them singing a lot :teeth:

[​IMG]

SIRUS and fanu like this.
  8. fanu

fanu Active Member

CURRENT PRICING (VAT is added in EU)
    • mastering 1–4 songs: €44 per song (turnaround time 1–3 days)
    • mastering 5 songs or more: €40 per song
    • quick delivery: €55 per song (turnaround time 24 hours)
    [batch discounts always for albums / 4+ songs – case-specific]
    • mixing+mastering a song from stems (aka “stem mastering”):
    €45 per hour (max €100)
    • mastering for vinyl: €5 additional charge per song
    • revisions: no charge
    • mixdown/production advice: hourly consultation rate of €45. This is to help you improve your mix. Total price is based on time spent listening and documenting improvements.
    • various audio work (cleaning up recordings, denoising, declicking, repairing audio, etc.): €45 per hour

Demand is high, so current waiting time varies between 4–7 days.