DnB Master bus tips...

So when your mix is hitting close to 0dBFS your stereo outputs will be seeing a level that would send an SSL Vu meter way off the end of the scale.
In short, at 24 bit operation there is no need to mix so hot. Peaks at around round -12dBFS are just about right. It looks low but electrically it is not the case. It is worth mentioning this because there are so many digital emulations of equipment and if they also modeled the devices behaviour relative to level they maybe seeing too hot a signal.

This needs to be printed on a shirt or poster and placed in every studio across the world. :)

Peaks at around round -12dBFS are just about right. It looks low but electrically it is not the case. It is worth mentioning this because there are so many digital emulations of equipment and if they also modeled the devices behaviour relative to level they maybe seeing too hot a signal.

I get this, at least in theory that if some digital emulations are running too hot the may well emulate what their analogue cousins would do and screw your tune up. It actually makes sense to me. But didn't we have another mastering engineer (Paul?) a week or two ago saying it didn't matter ? Confusing :)

I get this, at least in theory that if some digital emulations are running too hot the may well emulate what their analogue cousins would do and screw your tune up. It actually makes sense to me. But didn't we have another mastering engineer (Paul?) a week or two ago saying it didn't matter ? Confusing :)

Come to think of it, you're right–great memory!

Welp, this can only mean one thing: MASTERING ENGINEER WARS!!!! :saber:

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom