Massive causing massive problems. (I think)

horace111

My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)
As the title says it. Massive has become my main vst for making synths over the last months, but it seems to be letting me down now that I've become so dependent of it.
Here's the problem: whenever I make a bass and I play it on my midi keyboard it sounds just fine, the volume and overall sound is constant. Same when I enter it in the FL studio piano roll. But when I lay everything out and play the song the problems start. Somehow the bass frequencies just disappear, completely ruining the feeling of the song. It doesn't happen randomly, it only happens when I go to an other note (whatever other note that might be) and the next one might not have it anymore. Because it isn't random I'm thinking it's a parameter on either my sub (3xOSC) or on the main synth (Massive). I can provide you with my synth patches if you need them :)

Here's an example of what I mean. The problem synth is the one that starts on the drop. The first 2 measures is how it shouldn't sound, after those there are at least 4 measures of how it sounds when i play it on the keyboard or in the piano roll.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14957633/time-massive-problem.mp3
sorry it's not a soundcloud link but I didn't want to put it on there.
(mastering also sucks :teeth:)

Thank you in advance!

Different notes have different frequencies. Soms harmonics etc might get lost on some notes.
Play the note you like and bounce it to your sampler to recreate the melody and see how it sounds..

What pixelscum has said really. Other than that tho... If your using alot of resonance on your bass sound then you wanna be careful with that, it'll push certain frequency's up a few notches. If your compressing the bass sound then that might be f'in with shit. if your using two or more oscillators then that could be your problem, it might be phasing as such. if your detuning things then that could be a problem. if your using an lfo - there's a box you can click (can't remember what it's called, but it's the top one of the three) that will make your lfo pretty much inactive until the tunes playing. your using two different instances for sub and bass, you should make sure that there isn't any conflicting frequency's between the two, if they are conflicting then that will more than likely be your problem - this could also count for any element of the track. all a matter of trial and error my friend, as always...

that tunes sounding pretty phat anyways, dunno what your worrying about!

Thanks to both of you! I think it might indeed be some conflict between the two synths, as I found out yesterday that the sound doesn't change if I turn of my subbass. So I'm going to try to sample it and see how it works out, thanks again guys!

well in that case mate i think its just a bit of eqing you need to do...no sampling

Back
Top Bottom