Massive Bass changing in volume - help???!!!

d-low

https://soundcloud.com/nervuk
VIP Junglist
Hi guys really stuck with massive its driving me mad,

It wont stay at a consistant volume, no matter what i do,
Ive tried it with no detuning, no chorus, just 1 voice, no velocity effect, everything you can do to make the sound consistant, and still it just changes in volume seemingly RANDOMLY.
So you figure hey just bounce the audio and chop the bits you want, but when you have a bassline that is a 16 bar loop thats a ridiculous amount of chopping and you get lost in the audio, its a mess and i shouldn't have to.

Can anyone help me get it to stay the same volume for each note??

15npxmf.png

Those 2 audio tracks at the bottom are 2 different bounces of the bassline from massive (64 bars)
the dynamics are all over the place
the top one has no detune no voicing no chorus nothing and still it changes dynamics dramatically in the middle!! What am i doing wrong?!?! PLEASE!!!! :mad_guy: :mad_guy:

Last edited:
Okay duplicate the track and initialize the patch in Massive.. Now make a bounce from that and see if the problem is still there, if not you know it's somewhere in the massive patch. If it is, then take of all the external effects and see if that changes anything. Just a matter of taking away elements until you've found what the problem is.

To me it almost looks like an LFO connected to the output volume on a very slow rate not synced to the MIDI clock and not re-triggered when a note plays.

Last edited:
ummm strange, could be a number of things.

Could you explain the workflow you are using?

Alternately you can mail me the massive patch and I can take a look when I get home - could be a local problem?

woah hi june miller! big fan =D

Thanks for the replies.
ARTFX thats a great idea thanks, so i've done some troubleshooting and seems its down to the parallel filtering... The signal from each filter separately is fine but when the MIX is half way between 1-2 then it seems to slowly go out like that

Sounds like a phasing issue between the two signals, due to filtering/effecting them both differently.. Tell me what filters are you using on the parallel bus? Is it an low or high pass or do you mean something else with filtering?

Sounds like a phasing issue between the two signals, due to filtering/effecting them both differently.. Tell me what filters are you using on the parallel bus? Is it an low or high pass or do you mean something else with filtering?

It still happened with both filters turned off so i cant blame the filters to be honest, it is simply sinewaves being merged together, i find strange..didn't think it would have phasing issues as such but im going to stop using 3 osc of sine now and keep it simple! Thanks for your help again man

thanks man!! :D

Sounds like ARTFX has nailed it from your description :) If it comes to a unsolved deadend, just fire over the patch or project file :)

i can put "Feat. June Miller" in the track title then right?? :D

Just kidding, thanks for the offer! but Im happy just to keep things simpler in future and avoid 'parallel' routing of sines. 'bigups' .. thanks guys

Yeah I would try what ARTFX said and just remove any effects on your chain one by one. Probably a good idea to upload the patch so we can have a looksee (y)

i can put "Feat. June Miller" in the track title then right?? :D

Just kidding, thanks for the offer! but Im happy just to keep things simpler in future and avoid 'parallel' routing of sines. 'bigups' .. thanks guys

hahaha! At least you can say you learnt something today :) Great feeling is that :)

Hi guys really stuck with massive its driving me mad,

It wont stay at a consistant volume, no matter what i do,
Ive tried it with no detuning, no chorus, just 1 voice, no velocity effect, everything you can do to make the sound consistant, and still it just changes in volume seemingly RANDOMLY.
So you figure hey just bounce the audio and chop the bits you want, but when you have a bassline that is a 16 bar loop thats a ridiculous amount of chopping and you get lost in the audio, its a mess and i shouldn't have to.

Can anyone help me get it to stay the same volume for each note??

15npxmf.png

Those 2 audio tracks at the bottom are 2 different bounces of the bassline from massive (64 bars)
the dynamics are all over the place
the top one has no detune no voicing no chorus nothing and still it changes dynamics dramatically in the middle!! What am i doing wrong?!?! PLEASE!!!! :mad_guy: :mad_guy:

did you used any kick of EQ or filter on the sound? I mean the inbuild filters in massive too?

This will sound odd, but try copying all the midi data and pasting into a new MIDI region.

I don't know how or why, but I've experienced a similar volume jumping problem before. After going through the automation (both track and MIDI) as well as hyperdraw and finding nothing, I found this copy and paste thing did the trick. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it worked for me.

Cheers.

thanks guys, honestly i'm happy i have settled the problem; you guys truly are dedicated to helping people, you troopers. :D

much respect to everybody

thanks guys, honestly i'm happy i have settled the problem; you guys truly are dedicated to helping people, you troopers. :D

much respect to everybody

Hey I've found the real solution to your phasing problem for anyone's future reference. Click on the OSC tab located in the middle of Massive. Then just click the box next to Restart Via Gate under Oscillator Phases. Problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom