Mash Ups

mcsketcha

Sketchamus
VIP Junglist
Ive recenlty been making some mash ups by mixing acapellas with beats using audacity. Its the first time ive ever tried this so i still need a lot of practice on getting the timing and levels right, but have a listen to a couple of them and let me know what you think;

Eminem - Any Man (Acapella) VS Apathy - That Ol' Boom Bap (Instrumental)

Delta Heavy - Abort VS Eminem (Acapellas)

Eminem - Stan (Acapella) VS Chester P - Tears On My Pillowcase (Instrumental)

Clipz - Sticky VS Common, Mobb Deep, Eminem, Xzibit & Jurassic 5 (Acapellas)

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. 2 (Acapella) VS Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (Instrumental)

A.O.T.P - Seven (Looped Instrumental) VS Eminem, Nas, Jedi Mind Tricks & The Game (Acapellas)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check these out on the weekend.

Shook ones part II had a raw beat as it was, so I doubt I'll like it over a different beat. But Crazy is a raw beat I suppose.

Cheers mate, im not taking these very serious, just a little muck about to fill in my days off work etc, so be as cruel or kind as you like.

k .. im gunna be honest , the choices of the two ive listened to are bad .. but .. ive heard alot of people try this and fail .

a few ideas which i personally would aim towards, having never tried it .. it may not make sense ... but anyways ..

firstly pick a track with a similar bpm as the original, or pretty much exact .. because thats what the rapper originally penned to ..

next pick rappers with a more basic flow , for instance Eminem has a highly technical flow , many multi, chops , switches .. you know .. he flows mad most of the time , so hes recorded over that particular beat structure, and most of the beats have pauses and little FX to go with his ad-libbing ( improvisations, little funny voices and shouts etc ) .. so if you get some ad-libbs over your new chosen beat, if its mid bar on the drums its going to sound jumbled and 'off'

for instance killah priest spoke more over his tracks,rarely using ad-libbing, not necessarily flowing to the beat, just more getting the message across in almost spoken form. so he would be easier to put over a instrumental, or someone similar. .

see 'crazy' and 'shook ones' just aint gunna sound that hot i dont think .. crazy is fast paced, and prodigy is mellow and slow to the beat on shook ones ..

so use bpm analyzer, i can link you too a free one .. or just count for 30 seconds the amount of nods you do to the beat, and double it to make a minute.. .. and then look for beats with similar drums , then go back to the original , at the end of the lyrics bar , listen for what drum hit it finishes on, such as forth snare, do that over a few bars , and try get the bars to match your chosen bpm drums as possible .. then itll sound about right ..

im going from this ..

listen at 40 seconds, on all the words rhyming ... black , trapped , crack , strapped , clap , ... ok so you hear all those words hit on the snare right, that almost tinny snare you can hear ...

so if you had a beat with the same bpm , you would match the acapella at the same points you hear on the original, with the snare at the right part of the bar on ure new instrumental .. hard to explain if ure a shit cunt like me ... so theres the example ^^^

and theoretically, it should sound ok ..

but this is all guesswork i suppose .. and perhaps a little educated guessing just from writing bars myself, and listening how rappers flow on the beat, and were there rhymng words hit on what drums.. and studying it , and trying to re-create it ..

good luck , dont give up .. coz it can be done, and you may make a decent remix and can slap on my ipod at some-point ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Ethix, i can always count on you for some useful, in-depth analysis and advice. Yeah its gunna take a lot more practise before i master this. Listening back to the shook ones vs crazy its not in time at all, i dropped it on the wrong beat completely lol. To be honest the only ones that im happy with are the eminem vs apathy one and the delta abort vs eminem one as they seem to work all the way through. The others need a lot of work and practise as they are not consistant, for example with the clipz - sticky one, the first common acapella is in time but the rest are all slightly out of time. And yeah i completely agree about choosing the right instrumental to suit etc. Anyways cheers for checking them and safe for the advice etc.

no probs .. its hard, theres loads of youtube heads trying to do the same thing, and its hard .. i know for a fact id struggle and give up .. so big up on the mental discipline and keep on keeping on .. keep posting them up th man so i can check em .. peas n carrots

Back
Top Bottom