Maschine, Worth It?

prelich

Hey all,

Was thinking about getting an NI Maschine now that its on sale for $400. I was just wondering if anyone here has used it before and how they work it into their workflow. I think it would help alot with speeding up the process of making drum patterns and such, which I am having trouble with right now. Let me know what you guys think about it and discuss.

Maschine strikes me as something that people would use for more of a live show or playing around with samples for ideas rather than in solid production. I mean, there's got to be a good Akai MPC style pad controller that would do the job for under 100 bucks if it is just beat patterns you want to do. I know that Maschine does velocity sensitive triggers to filters and other effects, which does sound cool, but I just feel it's unnecessary. You also have to have fingers faster than anyone else to start making 170BPM+ loops ;)

Good topic man,

I have always been taken by maschine since I first saw a video of it, I want it pretty bad! I work with drums in audio and have no way to play in my beats, I am having to drag and drop where I want them, which is fine, but I feel maschine would allow me to be more creative with my beats. Sometimes I get the beat in my head and I have to fiddle around quite a bit to get it sounding how I want it, I am sure maschine would speed up the workflow for me on that side of things!

Interested to see responses from any users that might actually own it :)

I own maschine and love it.
I actually use it as a DAW in my productions.
Maschine comes with an amazing library and the ability to host plugins.
You can also use it for live performances, but I haven't tried that yet.

you can check out this tune:
it is made in maschine, but we did use the massive and guitarrig plugins.

I also made a short video for this topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9MeqHDN3-4&feature=youtu.be
It is recorded with my phone so the quality isn't really great.

Last edited by a moderator:
@parson19 yup that's exactly the reason I was interested. Right now I'm just dragging in drum patterns in midi and I feel it would be alot faster and lead to more creativity to just play out the pattern in my head in real time.

@bulletstorm Looks like the hardware/software integration is seamless. No need to come up with a mapping which is what's throwing me away from the MPD/Trigger Finger route

Also for $400, this looks like an amazing deal. Maschine retails for like $600 usually

you might want to look into the maschine mikro.
it has the same software and the same library, but it is $150 cheaper.
If it is the software you are interested in, you should go with the mikro.
If you want a bigger midi-controller (maybe live performances) go with the regular Maschine.

Does he still produce?
I haven't heard a new tune in a long time.
maybe he wants to focus 100% on giving people a crappy night out.

Back
Top Bottom