Martial Arts? Who does / did any? Whatcha do?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Mar 19, 2007.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Tonight I am going to a Muay Thai Boxing class for the 1st time and am really looking forwards to it!

I've just moved and it's quite local, and I've always wanted to learn Thai Boxing & I'm trying to get fit again after a few yrs of lazing around too much.

I did do Kung Fu (Shaolin Long Form) for 6months a while back, gave that up cos I was crap at the forms / routines, and did boxing training for 3 yrs (in a amateur boxing gym, none of yr poncey boxercise) but gave that up after breaking my thumb sparring, and realising that I had learned as much as I could without training to fight.

Full report 2moro. Unless I get hurt...

:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

ive done kick/thaiboxing for abit, fantastic sport, really free from pretentious drivvel, unlike so many other forms of martial arts. right now im practicing a very exciting style of kung fu called weng chun. not wing chun or ving tsun, this is very different.

3. YOUNG TUNA

YOUNG TUNA IT'S ME BITCHES

i did jiu jitsu for almost 3 years, best martial art ever imho. it was not fully brazilian style but mixed with german styles but yeah basically ground combat which is the most important aspect of self defense i think, because most of the fights end up on the ground.

also did some boxing action while in Japan, funniest sport i've ever done but it really takes all you got. and when you got hit in the head every week you get kindadada whazz the woird like ummmmm... yeah dum

nothing beats a good sparring session with a jap pro :twisted:

4. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

I did traditional jiujitsu for about 10 years of my childhood (6 - 16 years old) and then did muai thai kickboxing for around 3 years, but had to quit both because of university and work.
    My family is big in jiujitsu, my uncle helped to found the UMA in England along side Norman Sangwin, so all my family have done it at some point.

5. YOUNG TUNA

YOUNG TUNA IT'S ME BITCHES

:lighter: :respekt:

[​IMG]

haha that always cracks me up

6. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

I did Ju Jitsu for Six years..boxing and sparring a few lads I know full contact. :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :tut: :wave: :D :boxing: :boxing: :rinsed: :ban:

7. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I'm guessing you could kick the asses of 10 of us other dnbforum dudes, at the same time as mixing and taking pictures of Goldie and ordering a slap up dinner in Chinese (for Goldie).

8. D BREAKNECK

Just back from my 1st Thai Boxing class!

Very impressed, good teachers, lots of helpful experienced students, good mix of ppl, ages, and ladies (not like 'Pwhooar ladies' but I think it's a good sign, cos it ain't all testerone fuelled hardmen)...

Nice class (but I knew it would be cos my Bro went for a few months, and loved it but quit cos he was getting bruised too much, and he's diabetic and it takes him longer to heal).

My shins hurt (the crunch of shin on shin 8O), and I got a knock in the ribs sparring...But enjoyed and will be back later this wk, and I'd like really like to get good at it. Obviously v.dangerous when u know what yr doin.

1 thing...I've got even more respect for ppl who do real full contact Thai fighting, cos just semi-contact sparring, and pre-rehearsed techniques were you know whats coming hurt enough...

Gonna ache 2moro, tho

Also gonna try an Akido class on Thurs, got a mate who swears by it.

9. mesh

mesh Active Member

I did judo for 6 months in year 9 cause I was getting smacked by big kids.
    nuff said

10. Indi

TBH I'm only ever had to properly use it two or three times in my lifetime so far.
    Once you have some kind of martial arts training, its drilled into you that its far easier to avoid confrontations because firstly its much easier to walk away than having to go through all that, and secondly because if it does come to that you're really going to hurt someone. Explaining yourself to the police is never fun either.

11. Indi

Glad you enjoyed it. Muai Thai is well fun, lots of power and energy (y)

When I was kickboxing, this is who I used to train with: Mark Ellwood
    http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/hullinprint/archive/augsep2001/fight_club.html

He's a former commonwealth super middleweight champion, so you know he doesn't fuck about!

12. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

pssssssssh you done nothing but ballet dancing indi

13. D BREAKNECK

I think I've got a cracked rib from sparring in Monday's lesson...

Didn't feel it at the time, but once I cooled down, then had a bath I felt a sharp pain, hurts when I inhale deeply, cough, sneeze or roll on that side in bed. & when I press on that spot too.8O

Planning on going back for more either Friday or Sunday, and ordered boxing gloves & ankle supports today.

Worth it for knowing how to do jumping knee strikes though!

14. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

done karate for i dunno how long.got to green or brown.done a few tournaments then jus got bored.wish i kept it up!

15. D BREAKNECK

Just got back from 2nd class, & my shins hurt from all the kicking drills.

Did some ace uppercut / downward elbow combos tonite!o_O

It's hard work, but I think it's what I need to motivate me to keep fit and look after myself a bit better than I have been doin.

Still loving it. Got gloves, Boxing & bag gloves, and ankle supports today so I'm all kitted out.

16. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I did Judo (Japanese) for a few years, got to brown belt and decided to give up, I can't even remember why! Also won two silver medals in two regional competitions, go me!

I often think about doing another martial arts again!

17. D BREAKNECK

When I was a kid I used to do wrestling training. Funny story, cos I went expecting it to be like on telly, with rings and referees and tag teams and submissions (Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks era, none of yr WWF nonsense)...

but it wasn't, it was Olympic Wrestling, which was ok, did that few a few years, it was useful for never getting hurt in fights at school, and I used to be able to front somersault and land on my feet properly!

There was a Judo club training in the same building, and lots of wrestlers used to cross train in Judo, wish I had, they all got Black belts and skills, and I could just roll around on the floor a bit grappling...

18. Indi

I often have thought that if things don't work out too well for me here, just going to the Shaolin temple and becoming a kungfu monk, would be interesting. I mean, I'm already here so why not?

19. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Indi could always star in Kill Tiesto after lessons from Dnb Master Mai Pai Andai Cai.

20. 1992

1992 Novantadue

Thats very awesome! I was close to taking kung fu when I was a kid but I chickened out because the instructor wasn't asian. I figure if your going to learn some sort of kung fu then the instructor had better have slanty eyes or your going to learn fake kung fu. Yeah, pretty frikken lame I know.

Maybe once I get into shape I could try this again.