Martial Art..

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Catsel, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

ive alwayz wanted to start doing a matial art of some sort.. and theres a place about 1min walk from my new house which does Aiuchi Jiu Jitsu :boxing: anyone done this before?? whats its like? n is it worth doing, for fitness n stuff..

one day i wanna be able to do tai chi.... looks crazy (y)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q77p16rEX7o&feature=related

p/s.. stop posting about fes n banned people.. no-one cares!!!

2. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

My gym does Thai Boxing, it looks fucking quality and the guys doing it reckon a Muay Thai master could beat any other martial artist.

Never actually signed up for it :( Should do really...

3. Catsel

u shud sign up.. theres a thai boxing place bout 20 mins drive from me... but thats 20 mins drive :p this place is 1 mins walk!

4. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I've been doing Thai Boxing for two and a half years, and it is hardcore fitness. A JuJitsu club train in our gym and I've done some JJ cross training sessions and I've done a Brazilian JJ seminar.

It's less fitness orientated, or rather a different kind of fitness, it's more strength / grappling type fitness. Still tiring and still a good workout. Physically and mentally.

For self defense it's excellent, lots of joint locks and chokes. Mixed martial arts / cage fighting is largely Thai for striking and JJ for grappling and submissions.

Give it a go. It's good, and if you get into it you'll find a new passion.

:)

5. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

Ju Jitsu is more about discipline and technique, as opposed to power and stamina, which is more Muai Thai.

I did Ju Jitsu for 12 years, and did Muai Thai for 3 years. This combination of fighting styles will giver you everything you need imo.

6. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

7. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

I was gonna start MMA at my local gym but never got round to it, it looks wicked though

8. 1995ting

1995ting Active Member

do muay thai for striking and BJJ for grappling, or you could do straight boxing mixed with wrestling, but wrestling gyms are very hard to find in the UK.

im starting my first muay thai today actually

9. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

I work with somebody that does mma and loves it. Sounds good 1995ting....

10. 1995ting

1995ting Active Member

yeah its wicked, once I do muay thai for a while and get a good base in it I'm gonna find a jiu jitsu gym and mix it up, may even have a few amateur MMA fights somewhere down the line just for the hell of it.

11. D BREAKNECK

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it. My advice is don't try to keep up with everyone else who's been doin it for years.

There's a LOT to learn in the first few lessons. If you stick at it a couple of months you'll have learnt loads, and will deffo notice the difference in fitness.

:)

12. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

Go for it mate, good hobby to have. My mate boxes and has had 2 fights now and won them both.. a few other mates go to down and spar every now and again so I might give that a pop towards the end of the year. Need to get back to the gym again first!

13. Catsel

im gunna do it! next session is next monday, so i'll let ya know how i get on (y) :boxing:

14. 1995ting

1995ting Active Member

yeah, I'm expecting my shins to be absolutely killing me tomorrow :D

15. D BREAKNECK

Depends. Some clubs use shin pads. & they'll go easy(ish) on a beginner.

But do get a bag of frozen peas in, in case they do get banged.

& try not to flinch / pull your shin away when blocking, only hurts more.

16. DJ_NoZ

DJ_NoZ Rum & Ass

I did Taekwon Do for a couple of years, which is basically Kick Boxing with a little more "Traditional" stuff thrown in. It was good fun, nice way to release some energy and aggression that builds up over the week. Too unfit now though, need to get my ass back into shape.

17. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

I got my blackbelt in Taekwondo, the Korean art.

It is basically useless for a real fight, it doesn't involve body to body contact. It's glorious for showing off but is not practical in a closed environment like an alley or small room.

A good practical art is jiu jitsu or aikido, aikido is what they call the old mans art but it is practical in that it teaches you more about how to use your opponents energy against him. Thus you actually waste less time and energy in a fight, hence why old people can do it (it is good, not taking away from that).

Taekwondo is fancy, I used to be able to do aerial kicks and double aerials breaking stuff on the way up and down. But you would never use that in real life, no opponent is gonna stand there while you charge at him and leap toward his body flailing your legs.

If you can learn, Jeet Kun Do, the art that Bruce taught. That's some harsh shit right there. I am by no means an expert at martial arts, that's my disclaimer.

18. DJ_NoZ

DJ_NoZ Rum & Ass

Yeah I was gonna be in the demo team for our club, but I got lazy. I used to love the old wu shu tornado kick, that was my speciality. I'd get the shit kicked out of me in a fight mind.....