Managing Music Library for Traktor/Serato etc.

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Yo,

Been looking into different ways to try and manage my music within Traktor, was thinking the best way is to manually rename each track name with

Artist - Track Name

then put them into different playlists and sort by the track name. You can manually change the names and artist name etc within your playlists in traktor but it then wont play the file.

Anyone got any tips or techniques to share?

You can make smart playlists in iTunes. Traktor's biggest weakness is it's file management. Everything would be much easier if you were able to create folders in the browser.

Surprised no one's mentioned this before actually as for me it was one of the most important things in getting used to using Serato and being able to mix as fluidly with it as using a box of vinyl...

I recommend you check out a little program called Mixed In Key http://www.mixedinkey.com/

There's been a lot of debate about it's use but for me I think it's the most useful way to arrange your tracks within a crate in Serato / Traktor, and it's the kind of thing where you can have it there but you don't HAVE to use it at any given time if you don't want to, but I think it's a really useful system to have at your disposal for arranging and browsing through your tunes.

I could write you an essay on using it (or not using it in some cases), but I recommend you just check it out for yourself as there's plenty of info on their website about the benefits of having this system in place.

Big ups

Personal preference but definitely worth spending time getting right. I've just categorised all mine genre-wise. Drum and bass looks like this..

DNB
>deep/dark
>tech/heavy
>jump up
>dancefloor
>liquid
>half time
>minimal

then i just have another crate i keep updated with just the newest and freshest tunes

Surprised no one's mentioned this before actually as for me it was one of the most important things in getting used to using Serato and being able to mix as fluidly with it as using a box of vinyl...

I recommend you check out a little program called Mixed In Key http://www.mixedinkey.com/

There's been a lot of debate about it's use but for me I think it's the most useful way to arrange your tracks within a crate in Serato / Traktor, and it's the kind of thing where you can have it there but you don't HAVE to use it at any given time if you don't want to, but I think it's a really useful system to have at your disposal for arranging and browsing through your tunes.

I could write you an essay on using it (or not using it in some cases), but I recommend you just check it out for yourself as there's plenty of info on their website about the benefits of having this system in place.

Big ups

I'm really pissed off with mixedinkey at the moment, it keeps telling me im not online so it wont analyze anything ffs, i checked online and the solutions they offered didnt work

I'm really pissed off with mixedinkey at the moment, it keeps telling me im not online so it wont analyze anything ffs, i checked online and the solutions they offered didnt work

Strange one mate... I'm still running an older version but never had that problem I'm afraid, maybe re-download the program and reinstall it?

I'm a bit anal about keeping my library in top shape and ive got a few advices for you.

All data stored via traktor, e.g. tags, cue points, etc are stored on the mp3 itself. So you can rename without fear of losing info. All other formats have data stored in the playlist file, this goes by filename, so youve been warned!

I use MP3Tag to batch rename all new tunes to artist - title and run it through mixed in key before it goes near my collection.

Ive used a few mp3 renamers and this is by far my favourite, i only wish it'd do folder structures too!

In order to keep your collection in good shape i'd recommend doing a batch rename and manually sorting through folders. It's hard work and it'll take you ages, but do it once and then its just maintenance after that.

Alternatively if youre decent at coding knock up a batch script to sort it all for you!

Personal preference but definitely worth spending time getting right. I've just categorised all mine genre-wise. Drum and bass looks like this..

DNB
>deep/dark
>tech/heavy
>jump up
>dancefloor
>liquid
>half time
>minimal

then i just have another crate i keep updated with just the newest and freshest tunes

This is how mine are arranged, works a charm

My music library is a fucking mess, just like when I owned vinyl.. I have 2 playlists, one which is like my on the go crate which is full of newish bits and one which is full of classics. I like the idea of organising by sub-genre but can't see myself keeping it up.

DNB
>deep/dark
>tech/heavy
>jump up
>dancefloor
>liquid
>half time
>minimal

I started to do this. But I have so many tracks now the lists are just to long to scroll through 200-1000 dark tracks etc whilst mixing. I have all my tracks now in play lists. Each one is named by the month I brought the track so my latest play list is call November 2013. It means there is a lot of play lists but it's quicker and easier to scroll through tracks.

Back
Top Bottom