Man, the more I listen, the more I feel I should give up!!!

Rajstah Vibe

soundcloud.com/rajstah
VIP Junglist
Everytime I listen to nasty tunes, I feel like a shit and that my tunes they will never go anywhere...
Fucking rant for a serious depression...
I should probably only have aplly myself on the DJ skills, as everitme I listen to a Mefjus, Spor, Prolix, Noisia, Rregula, Task Horizon, Billian.... I feel they are so forward that I can't really catch how the fuck they do to create such MASSIVE tunes...
Even a friend of mine, DISPROVE, that he was a listener of my tunes 4 years ago, now he produce terrific tunes that I cant really understand how it's possible that me I'm so retarded that I can't get that sound???

I should probably accept the fact that I can't get anywhere with my skills...
But if so, why I do still insist on trying to produce something decent???
What's that shit that keep up pushing ourself on producing???

Do it for self satisfaction. I don't produce but I see in other aspects of life, the more you concentrate on the end goal (in this case presumably some big label release,) the harder you make it for yourself to get there. Enjoy the beats you're making, then you'll realise you've gotten to the point that you have been trying to reach, without even noticing...if that makes sense...

Do it for self satisfaction. I don't produce but I see in other aspects of life, the more you concentrate on the end goal (in this case presumably some big label release,) the harder you make it for yourself to get there. Enjoy the beats you're making, then you'll realise you've gotten to the point that you have been trying to reach, without even noticing...if that makes sense...

pretty much this

just have fun making tunes
if your producing just be become as good as some other producer your arent doing it right.lol

yo rajstah, chill man! for a starter, your tunes are sounding better and better as you post them. and secondly, the way i look at producing is..... what did my tunes sound like when i first started (utter shit) compared to what they sound like now (better, but still a lot to improve). if you can actually see how much youve learnt from scratch, youl be quite amazed. have a browse through your old projects and itl be clear im sure.

im currently trying to do a remix of that fletcher tune, just listened to the competition thus far. and fuck do i feel a long way off! its all about learning man, keep at it

TBH, I just don't give a shit about getting released.
It all about, how the hell after so many years, spending load of time on learning and sperimenting nu technique, stil my tunes they sounds half of a banger out there...
I know is not healty to come up with this rant after so many others, but holy shit.
I can't really get where I do mistake.

I'm sure it's also the time and the taste that change. 5 years ago I was listening to S.P.Y., DC Break, TC, and Chase & Status and Aphrodite.
It's only a couple of years that I'm after neuro dark DnB.
But still...
With all the knowledge, I feel I have no clue if could ever reach such sound and overpass it.
It's like a challenge which lead to depression sometimes.

I had and have fun producing. But if I can't win a challenge there's no fun for me.
I feel like a loser sometimes...

I know how you feel i've felt that way before, but once you realize there are more important things in life you also realize how stupid it is to get hung up on how it had to be you who made a big tune, it doesn't matter. We are all blessed in different ways, I think that the skills you have are actually very good (much better than most, you have an ear for it) and i listen to bits you post because I know your production will be tight. So your not going to be the next spor, only one man in every 6 billion is. What you're not doing is doing something differently, be the new you, make a sound that nobody else does.

You're not any of those producers you listed, you are rajstah!!

Like I said to start, there are much more important things in life and keeping that in mind, dont let a good thing get you down, because music is a good thing.

Last edited:
I have certainly been in your situation in the past (as you're aware I'm sure). It's a horrible place to be. But I can assure you it does pass. For me, joining the "Dead Noise System" and focusing my productions on joint efforts with other producer's in my group in a different genre has certainly given me the extra push I needed. Now I create mostly deep dubstep, and I'm having so much more fun.

Honestly, just listen to other genres to get some ideas.
I get a lot of ideas regarding mixdowns by listening to pop music and the like (taylor swift has some amazing engineering when it comes to her otherwise shitty tracks)

Listening to dnb is fun for raves, but listening to outside of that is bad for creativity imo.

Yeah, what the others said. The last few days I've had a mate round recording tracks for a solo indie rock project he's doing. Really helped me understand song structure and also mix downs, I was trying to push DNB techniques that weren't working. So it was nice to have a different work flow. Give it s try?

Yeah, definitely sound like you're watching people too closely.
If you keep trying to emulate your influences they'll remain one step ahead, focus on pushing an original sound.

to be honest, there's fuck all wrong with your tunes but it sounds like your trying too hard to get it perfect, on par with the big names, and that's not gonna happen if you do that, you have to find your own way and your own sound.

maybe take the skills you've learnt and apply them to a different genre? I was getting sick of trying to make 'good' dnb, even though i'd only been doing it for like 5 months or so, so tried making a nice ambient dubstep tune (fucking shitloads easier), that let me explore new ways of doing things, stopped me from being too hung up on one detail and made me pay more more attention to just capturing a vibe.

^^^^ that was wat i made 1 year year ago... fucking lol to the fuck

now im not saying im a great producer but the tune in my sig is wat i made a couple weeks ago... now that one year man i still got a long way to go but if i can do that progress every year il die a happy man, and yes like 3 time i week i go through the hole depressive, uninspired wtf am i do fuck this shit and consider throwing my computer off my balcony but u gotta work through it

listening to biometric sound now, i think you should keep rolling along mate!

one of the problems with production is that seems to me that the longer you produce, the shorter your advances are. what i mean is, you get better in less visible increments as you go. if you compare a tune you just made with a tune you made 6-12 months ago, they may both sound like full, finished tunes...but likely the more recent one has an almost intangible quality about it - a minor step toward that pro quality. for example, when you first learn to compress a snare drum, that's a big, noticeable jump in your productions. As you learn to fine tune snare drum compression, you get much better at it (and probably faster, which is key too) but the differences you are hearing in the processed snare drum sound are smaller and smaller.

Take a listen to the artists you mentioned, listen to the tracks over the past few years! See what it is that changed in their music, what made them get nasty tunes!

I think everyone has that bit of self doubt mate...in any walk of life they'll always be that someone thats more skills in your field then yourself......But you can only get better at something when you believe in what you do...and do it your youreslve first and foremast. Remember not everyone has the same musical tastes. You may think these producers are the bollox but others may not agree....i know this from my own label, as we have so many different styles and artists i get to see the stats on who's liking what and some of the tracks i expect to be average are doing really well and others ive signed that i thought would be sick are not doing so well.

keep at it, if you love doing it it doesnt matter what others are doing

DON'T GIVE UP. Take a break maybe. A couple days or a little longer depending on how long you usually stay away from trying to come up with something. It helps clear your mind and forget what you were working on. That way when you hear it again you'll have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't; even if it's all of it.

When I first start on something, the first day is usually me going thru sounds looking for what seems to sound good together as it comes along. Or starting a beat. Then, I go back to it the next day or a day later to remember what I had done. I find sometimes, I don't like most of it. But, maybe there is something in there that's good. The beat, or a certain line, or just a couple of notes somewhere. Then, I build on that. And continue building until something HITS or I get tired. But, I go back to it later.

I've been making/trying to make dance music since 98 or 99 and when I got Reason in 03, which was a BIG step from what I was working on before (trial versions of shit like fruity loops), it pushed me down and rubbed my face in the mud HARD several times to the point where, even though I had done a couple things I liked, I spent several weeks-to-months at a time not doing anything.

But, it was something I really wanted to do so I made sure to throw on some goggles next time and try harder. Only made it worse. I would, also, hear the groups I liked and wanted to do something that sounded like what they did, but couldn't. It all sounded like shit. And it should, because I'm not them. But, I thought at least I'd learn something, and I did. I learned that in order to start making shit that you like and can be proud of, you need to let yourself go and just do what feels right; even if it sucks when you come back to it later. Eventually, you'll find your way to your own style and sound and be able to recognize what can be made better and what needs to be deleted much quicker. On my "Steampunk" mix of "Fletcher", 60% of what I did on the first day was scrapped. The other 40% was made better.

Even though I've been doing shit since 98, it wasn't until about 5 years ago that I felt I was doing some stuff I really liked. And it wasn't until last year that I could start something and finish it in 5 or less days. It takes A LOT of hard work and time to get to the point where more and more, you'll like what you come up with. But, don't push it either. Music isn't something that should be forced, in my opinion, it should flow out of you. Even though, you might not fully understand what that means, yet.

Back
Top Bottom