Mako - The Third EP

zeroec

Bought this yesterday night, because Mako was the hottest artist in 2014 and 15 for me.
Really been looking forward to this EP, after waiting for five months for something new from the man.

Couldnt get my download from the Headz webshop, but im used to that. Went to bed and the download was working today. Normally i had to sent an email. So thats an improvement.

But im really underwhelmed by the release.
Nothing stands out, every tune sounds like a filler.
Boring drums, tracks droning away.
The only tune that sounds slightly fresh to me is 'The Need In Me'. Reminds me a bit of old Creative Source 95/96 style with a modern update.

Your opinions ?

By Firelight is like the bastard child of Candle In The Cage. Seriously, his own words, not mine :)

String Section could've been a bit better I suppose, given it's a collab with Villem and the last collaboration of theirs that came out (We Could Help Each Other) was super sweet

I do like the Grunge VIP of Gully and The Need In Me. Two different ideas actually :2thumbs:

I think Mako is a seriously quality producer doing interesting things but he's not 100% buy on sight for me. Having said that, 2015 was such a strong year for him. Eyes Bloodshot Red, The Gap, Warrior Pose, all of the Warm Comms 12", Samurai 12", The Space In Between (Symmetry Sessions)

Just noticed: the beginning of String Section sounds like Moby - Go.
And Firelight seems to sample Helicopter.

Just noticed: the beginning of String Section sounds like Moby - Go.
And Firelight seems to sample Helicopter.

"Go" samples Laura Palmer's theme from Twin Peaks. It's possible this an homage to either of those. "The Gully (Grunge VIP)" also has a sample from Meat Beat Manifesto's "Radio Babylon"

But im really underwhelmed by the release.
Nothing stands out, every tune sounds like a filler.
Boring drums, tracks droning away.
The only tune that sounds slightly fresh to me is 'The Need In Me'. Reminds me a bit of old Creative Source 95/96 style with a modern update.

Your opinions ?
Boring drums? You didnt' mean "The Need In Me" by this, did you?
One of the most interesting drum patterns I've heard in a while.
Also liking "The Gully VIP" a lot, can't say I'm underwhelmed overall.
The other 2 don't do anything for me though.

string section drags on a bit, zero t recent quarantine releases don't suffer this. not a bad track but forgettable. the need in me reminds me of early moving shadow tho

Good release ... but it is platinum and not the main label. Maybe he saves his best for the meta releases?

Back
Top Bottom