Making Your own Production sound

Radius

Full Spectrum Selection
VIP Junglist
Some of the top fellas production (from the way their beats re made to the way the mixdown sounds) make their style distinctive. So how do they get their own sound...I think its dangerous to sound like teh next man if you are serious about moving ya production forwards, so figured I'd see if we can get a discusion goin...even if its to pinpoint what makes someone's sound different. For example, John B uses a Waldorf sampler if I am not mistaken ( or used to)....Heist has a Juno /Roland similar by the sound of things ( I think I am guessing now)..but its little touches in teh mixdown, some mix in say chorus into the high hast on a 1%...so subtle u'd not know and so it goes....so if ur up 4 it lets try a nd pinpoint a few ways they make thir own sound, and then try and find own own ways to make our own sound ...???
What ya rekon ?

id like to know how subfocus gets his drumlines so electrical-sounding... that makes him unique id guess

next guessing would be that danny byrd uses LOADS of compression on his drums.

anyone else? :P

regarding signature sound, i think a huge part of the the 90s drum and bass sound is in the emu e6400 filters and aural exciter, its creepy how close you can get, just last night i made that classic airplane reece

I don't really think that producers get their 'sound' from their mixdowns really, I think if they're distinguished by their mixdowns it just means they're good at it. Heist and Taxman spring to mind. I've heard some pretty shoddy mixing from mainstream producers (I do listen to jump up though :p).

I'd say alot of their sound is made up by drums. Dunno if it's just laziness or because they reckon they've found a winning formula, but I swear some producers use the same drums in all their songs, Original Sin is major culprit.

The keys they use is a big thing, you can alway tell a pendulum tune from the old flat 5th they seem to put in every tune. but I spose it just stems from how you're brain works musically. Dunno if anyone has ever thought about it, if you've every listened to a tune and you can almost predict where the notes are going, and sometimes they go in a direction you wouldn't have chosen. I think this personal quality helps to further define an artists sound. Radiohead for instance, for me anyway, their tune structure is exactly how i'd do it and even though radiohead span styles from techno to rock you can still tell immediately that its a radiohead song.

I'd say alot of their sound is made up by drums. Dunno if it's just laziness or because they reckon they've found a winning formula, but I swear some producers use the same drums in all their songs, Original Sin is major culprit.

yes same drums is a habit of many producers inc myself, but only cuz ive finally found that kick and snare everyone harps on about after months of sample searching, original sins drums smack the dancefloor still.... i admit same hits doesnt work aswell in other forms of dnb.

original sin is one of my fav producers at the moment, and while i agree his drums are almost identical if not the same.
sumtimes his synths and bass are so promenent i dont really notice till i here then a few times!!

yeah, don't get me wrong, I love original sin. Went to see him the other week and it was probably the sickest set I've heard all year. By the end I could only would out what song was on by how the floor was vibrating!

alot of people say my stuff all sounds the same but i almost never re-use a patch, so i guess that's my sound shining through - grimey!

and with the drums thing.. i can see why os uses those drums! and understand.. perfect snares etc are hard to come by, i use the same kick in all my tracks now but different breaks etc.. i often use a snare multiple times but i try and not make it too noticable.

alot of people say my stuff all sounds the same but i almost never re-use a patch, so i guess that's my sound shining through - grimey!

and with the drums thing.. i can see why os uses those drums! and understand.. perfect snares etc are hard to come by, i use the same kick in all my tracks now but different breaks etc.. i often use a snare multiple times but i try and not make it too noticable.

nutek your tracks r well mint especially "pleasure" thats the sorta piping tunes i wanna here!!
sweet!

i guess it's just a case of doing tune after tune and trying not to sound like other people...eventually after enough time your style will come through regardless

i use different drums for every tune, i think thats why it takes me forever to fucking finish something.
I need some decent monitors to mixdown before i show anyone anything aswell

Back
Top Bottom