Making the Switch to Logic Pro

yogi23

Hows it going?

Since Logic became available in the app store it made it alot more affordable for me so i decided to grap it while i had the cash. I've been using reaper for the last 6 months or so and have been loving it but the one thing is it doesnt have a sample library and havent found a sampler i like to go with it, my production partner also has logic so i thought it would be a good idea to get it so we could share project files.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew the best way to learn the little things like bussing, shortcuts and maybe ways to enhance workflow? or if there were any things that helped you get used to Logic quicker?

Cheers

If your partner uses logic then if possible sit with him and get a basic tune going. You'll learn quicker with someone by your side giving you feedback and necessary tips as they arise. That's what I've been doing and I walk away feeling far competent with each session.

Abit of a bummer but he recently moved to another part of the country for uni so i will only see him every 10 weeks, thats pretty much why i got logic so we could still colab easily

Ah ok. I'm happy to show you the ropes. Ive not long got going so the basics are still fresh. Give you pointers on PM if your really stuck? Otherwise YouTube and production mags are your god.

YouTube: SFLogicNinja, soundsLogical, Mrmilkcarton

The above are all good YouTube channels to check out. SFLogicNinja explains Logic best though, I daresay he's better than looking in the manual :lol:

Ah ok. I'm happy to show you the ropes. Ive not long got going so the basics are still fresh. Give you pointers on PM if your really stuck? Otherwise YouTube and production mags are your god.

Cheers man will do

YouTube: SFLogicNinja, soundsLogical, Mrmilkcarton

The above are all good YouTube channels to check out. SFLogicNinja explains Logic best though, I daresay he's better than looking in the manual :lol:

Thanks! will check em out now.

Would you mind telling me how you go about drums in Logic ? i'm not sure if i'm a fan of the ultrabeat yet

Would you mind telling me how you go about drums in Logic ? i'm not sure if i'm a fan of the ultrabeat yet

Hm... it really depends on the track I'm working on. If I'm just fiddling around with ideas I'll drag one shots into the arrange window and if I like what I've got I'll chuck them into the EXS24 so that I can sequence them easily with midi and have more control over them. Also, while I'll import all my drums into the same sampler instrument I make multiple instances of it for each type of sound so that I can keep track of/arrange everything easier. You can set it up as a multi-out and just use one but then you will have issues if you want to make one of the sounds do something special like a pitch bend, it's really up to whatever you are trying to achieve.

I will occasionally will use Ultrabeat, but it's usually only just for one of the factory drum banks (such as the Acoustic Hi-hats bank).

There are a few Masterclasses/How we did it type vids on YouTube with producers that use Logic. They might help you get some ideas going as for how to go about drums. Icicle, Alix Perez, Reso, Loadstar (under Xample & Lomax) and DC Breaks (on producing Creeper) are ones off the top of my head.

logics quite easy, most daws are much the same, just getting used to the layout, id recommend making a template for ya choons.
for drums you can use audio or ultrabeat (never actually used it myself, i got NI Maschine) or rex files in esx sampler, would like to use the sampler more. You can use vst instruments like battery too if you want. its a good daw and the Fx that come with it are so good

Nice thanks for the replies! I had a muck around on it yesterday and found its not to much different to Reaper so it should be an easy enough switch. I ended up using the exs24 and i'm loving it! didnt know how well it handled rex files! I've missed being able to copy the midi of a rex files since ditching Reason awhile ago.

Abit of a bummer but he recently moved to another part of the country for uni so i will only see him every 10 weeks, thats pretty much why i got logic so we could still colab easily

Your best bet is to search Logic's manual online as it has proved to be an invaluable resource for me personally. Macprovideo.com has some great tutorials (both written and video) as well.

SFLogicNinja is a beast.

My production partner lives halfway across the country. Get to know dropbox and it will be your best friend. :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom