Making a Mix cd

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by digitalsurgery, Mar 30, 2005.

1. digitalsurgery

digitalsurgery Member

Does anyone know how to make a mix cd and sell it legally? Any help would be great!

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

You'll need to license each track you put on the compilation. That will not be cheap if you want a CD of 'anthemy' tunes.

3. klusta

klusta Pulsar

very shakey area cds, some producers may not mind u using their tracks but others may. I've heard that if you only sell so many you're allowed, all about copyrights etc

Sure its just better to host a cd burnable mp3 and sell a few locally, well thats what i do :)

4. shdw

shdw trance'n'bass lover

Could be explanation of why are here some label mixes...

5. Subvertx

Subvertx UnderStand Inc.

I think if you sell under 1500 its no harm done.

Also you will need signed contracts for each track on the album filed somewhere safe, along with each originater of the track (if its a mix for example you need permission to sell at a profit the original artist's works - this may require negotiations obviously...)

its not hard though... just check with a lawyer on how you can safely phrase and cover all aspects and protect yourself and/or have them make the agreement form for you, and just make sure 100% everything including samples is signed and accounted for.

after that's done it all matters on what process and format you use to actually create the album...from my experiance most stores (including online) will reject anything CD-R even shrink wrapped and labeled. In otherwords if you wanna sell it legally you will have to have it manufactored by a professional distibution company... I think I still know a few offhand (CDKINGZ etc, probably a few others)...

next step... connections and contacts...
    gotta do the legwork and get in touch with the actual retailers... for mom and pop type shops its pretty easy, you just work out some kind of discount and/or drop ship deal with them and set up an automatic reorder for when amounts are low int he store, or some kind of 90day payment plan...

for the actual chains, you will need to get in touch with their management and human resources departments, its not hard, go to say towerrecords.com and find where it says CONTACT, either call one of the stores and speak with a manager, or email the corporate office... you will have to be persistant, cause trust you'll get blown off and passed on plenty.

shit man... just go the easy way, toss it on every site you can think of including but not limited to every rave, and music online store, get some reviews available for it, get it in some local stores and mom and pop shops skip the whole fukkin other process and just sell em bootleg out the back of the trunk and on the block and at parties adn events etc... i mean honestly how many units you gonna move with a mixtape?

- Mike

6. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

If you try and burn a load of CD's at a proper printers they will ask you themselves for written permission for use of tracks from all artists.