Making a mistake 45 minutes into recording a mix depreciation

Iv literally nearly thrown my decks out the window after fucking up. Just rerecord. Minor clangs i can deal with tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

i dont bother with all that, making mistakes is part of djing and i like my mixes to be a true representation of how good or bad i am at djing.. so most of the time, i will record and upload and leave it at that. unless i fuck up big time then i will re record. i dont want people to think i am better than i am

Couldn't describe it better at how I approach recording a DJ mix. :)
The mix in my signature is also far from perfect but it represents where my mixing skills are now.

Iv literally nearly thrown my decks out the window after fucking up. Just rerecord. Minor clangs i can deal with tho.

I once smashed a 12" record in half, but that's a long time ago. Now I can keep the Zen spirit much better. :)

Do you guys also get slightly more nervous when recording a mix? (and with that, increase the chance of messing things up?)

Love this thread.

Definitely agree with Danwell - like to record once if at all possible and that's it.
No point posting something that people will be like "oh wow this is amazing, do you want a set out?" then proceed to try and play a set out and fuck it up because you try and perfect studio mixes by re recording the same thing over and over.

That's partly the reason I've posted freestyle mixes before that are unplanned. Best to put yourself under pressure at home recording because if you get the chance to play out you've experienced what you need to know (at least a little bit) before.

Well I rarely fuck up while playing out yet when I'm recording a mix, I'm able to fuck up the easiest mix you can imagine. As has been mentioned above, I feel very nervous when recording and I'm often overthinking beatmatching. That's just the way it is, it usually takes me a few tries before I get it sounding the way I want it.

Love this thread

Loving this thread too, and I think we can all relate to it at some point

I feel very nervous when recording...... it usually takes me a few tries before I get it sounding the way I want it.

I used to feel a bit nervous when recording, but after a fair few times recording mixes, that feeling should disappear. Just like playing out / at house party's / in front of friends ect.

As mentioned in some of my mix threads, I find it hard to judge the EQ's on some tunes (but am slowly getting there) so I will give a mix recording a trial run (as best possible) trying to get the gains & EQ's to work. If there are any major slips, I will do a final draft and take note on where I can improve the EQ's.

A mix will be going well. I'll think to myself 'this mix is going well I better not fuck up'. Then. I fuck up.

I find that as long as you have your head fully in the mix / recording, then you should be alright with the mix / flow ect.
As soon as you start thinking of something else that takes a bit of thought, like what your having for dinner, or trying to sort something out in your head, that can put you off track for the mix. Also can happen if someone is talking to you when you are concentrating on the mix. Basically when you are not fully focused on the task at hand

Well I rarely fuck up while playing out

You must be one of few!
Always remember playing my first set out after 3 months of mixing. Absolutely clanged the fuck out of True Romance. Epic.

Loving this thread too, and I think we can all relate to it at some point

As mentioned in some of my mix threads, I find it hard to judge the EQ's on some tunes (but am slowly getting there) so I will give a mix recording a trial run (as best possible) trying to get the gains & EQ's to work. If there are any major slips, I will do a final draft and take note on where I can improve the EQ's.

Yea bang on Mark.

If I am not sure on a mix I will record it and listen to it in headphones to understand what I can improve on. Helps massively with EQ's for me.

I'm usually very relaxed and enjoying it :) Although I did a pretty epic fail last time, we just had a go for a short b2b, I've come up with an idea which sounded really wicked in my head...and I missed the first beat so drop came like two and a half bars later. I wanted to kill myself then :D

Regarding re-recording parts of a mix, I'd only do it for a major clang and certainly wouldn't "try and perfect studio mixes by re recording the same thing over and over".

I tend to play better out than at home as I play better when people are listening. Recording a mix completely puts me off.

I find that as long as you have your head fully in the mix / recording, then you should be alright with the mix / flow ect.
As soon as you start thinking of something else that takes a bit of thought, like what your having for dinner, or trying to sort something out in your head, that can put you off track for the mix. Also can happen if someone is talking to you when you are concentrating on the mix. Basically when you are not fully focused on the task at hand

So true this. I always f*ck up when my thoughts drift off to other things then mixing.
The best mixes are when your 100% focused on the task.
That's why I like seeing live DJ's who don't wave with their arms and stuff but are pure focused on mixing. :)

Glad to read here that I'm not the only one with the getting nervous when you hit the "record" button.
It is true that the nervous feeling goes away a little when you record more.

Well I rarely fuck up while playing out yet when I'm recording a mix, I'm able to fuck up the easiest mix you can imagine.

Story of my life, I find there less pressure when mixing to a crowd, because unless a clang is absolutely horrendous people really don't give a shit and will go mad for it anyway, but when its just myself judging me when recording a mix I think I'm a cunt for the smallest mistake.

Have you people never heard of editing?

Fuck starting the whole mix again. Just start from before the mistake and edit that shit out.

Oh course, back in the 90's when you were recording on to tape you were totally fucked if you made a mistake.

Thems were the days.

Faultless mixes bore me to tears.

I wanna hear a few slips and trips, makes me remember a real person is doing it and not some bpm matched sync button bumbaclart and fuckery.

Creativity with selection, mixing style and eq'ing is far more important for me.

Faultless mixes bore me to tears.

I wanna hear a few slips and trips, makes me remember a real person is doing it and not some bpm matched sync button bumbaclart and fuckery.

Creativity with selection, mixing style and eq'ing is far more important for me.

FAG

Back
Top Bottom