Making a liquid tune in ableton?

camper182

VANAR
I want to make a calibre / eveson / marky like tune but i have no idea where to start. I think i pretty much nailed the Kick and snare but i just cant get the right bassline with massive. it just always sounds too jump-up or too dark. help pls :mad: thanks

simple solution....dont use massive.....

Seriously, I know that sounds like a piss take, but Massive is a beast for jump up and dubstep type sounds. If you want to write subtle moving flowing basslines you can do it on massive, but why not try using another synth? May I suggest Albino 3 or Predator?

...read the forum m8...it's full of liquid posts,

anyway:
listen a lot lot lot lot of jazz/old school hip hop...
BREAK________________________
begin to sample some break or use classics (amen, tighed up, worm etc..)
hipass/pitch'em up and layer your kick and snare (use woodblocks, pitched snare etc.. IMO)
BASS________________________
most of liquid songs have a simple sub bass...use it.
DONT USE MASSIVE!!I prefer reason for sub too.
Add a bit of saturation (a bit.)
WANT A DEEP BASS????= look for cosmic bass in reason...it's a good start,manipulate it, add sustain, lowpass.
i tried for months with massive, it's impossible to get something smooth.
MELODY___________________
are u good to play guitar/piano etc..???=make your own melody
or sample something.

TRICK&TIPS:
- variation on your break= use the slice command on ableton to trim it, remember to quantize.
- sometimes using pitch on your sub (like a jungle bass) should be intresting
- sampling sampling sampling sampling

EQ: ableton equalizer is pretty good
MASTERING: ozone izotope IMO

Good work!

Last edited:
Why don't u just use operator? Its a simple plugin and u can create some nice smooth subbass. You can layer them put reverb chorus ect on it. Just play arround.

simple solution....dont use massive.....

I find massive very versatile, I can get pretty much any sound I want out of it, but then if you know synthesis it's not an issue. If you rely on presets only you will obviously be limited. Camper, I love your sig pic, who is that on the decks anyway?

Back
Top Bottom