Making a demo / Playing out in clubs and bars

dkn

boh.
So, after talking with a promoter and local dj at a couple of events, they want me to give them a demo. I'm wondering if I should create a mix that covers the full spectrum of dnb, or should I create a mix that's more for a party?

Also, any suggestions on playing in that kind of atmosphere? I've only been djing about 5 or so months and the most I've done is a house party. Something I'm worried about is that I tend to rely too much on touching the platter followed by syncing it in with the pitch control, rather than just using the pitch control after the track has already dropped and playing.

Thanks for the help guys, I love that we have a scene building up here in San Diego and I really want to be a part of that and make it that much better.

if you do touch the platter to sync it, be comfortable with your mix before you throw it in, otherwise you would have got messy pitch bends all over. not a good look tbh.

try to do a mix that shows YOUR style, not what you think the promoters would like to hear. bear in mind that there must be other people liking it, but dont just play what you think they want to hear.

apart from that, be safe when it comes to levels. nothing worse than a dj who brings in the new tune way too loud, especially in a club on a big system...

good luck with it. and more importantly, have some fun!

if you do touch the platter to sync it, be comfortable with your mix before you throw it in, otherwise you would have got messy pitch bends all over. not a good look tbh.

try to do a mix that shows YOUR style, not what you think the promoters would like to hear. bear in mind that there must be other people liking it, but dont just play what you think they want to hear.

apart from that, be safe when it comes to levels. nothing worse than a dj who brings in the new tune way too loud, especially in a club on a big system...

good luck with it. and more importantly, have some fun!

Sweet man, good info. :) I totally agree with you about doing my own natural mix but keeping it appealing to others. I kinda figured that, but it helps to get other opinions.

I recorded a mix a month ago to test out some drops, and I realized how shitty my levels were on occasion. I was just so into the mix and concentrating that I didn't pay attention to shit like how my 'Wicked So' is super quiet. I think I've cleared up that issue for the most part, though I'm sure it will be way different on a better system.

Yep.. your demo should reflect you... not what you think someone would like you to play. Be different aswell.... as a promoter myself i cant think of anything worse than some guy giving me a demo of his and its exactly the same bullshit as every other up and coming DJ has given me..... ie.... end to end jump-up filled with every track thats been kained for the last 2 years... think out of the box a little...

Playing in a live enviroment is a whole different kettle of fish.... the biggest problems being that the sound systems are always different.... some will have the best monitoring speakers in the DJ booth but fukin shit bollocks sound system so you cant rinse it..... or you may just get it the other way round..... some places might not have monitors full stop.... and you literally mixing with whats cming out of the sound system... which usually runs a fraction of a second behind, a proper bitch to mix on!!!

anyway.... good luck mate... feel free to hit me up anytime...

I personally like it if a DJ has got 2 demo mixes, one more 'start of the night' and other more full on.

I also like variety of tunes, not just trying to put all the new stuff, maybe some classics and something obscure that I might not have heard.

:)

One thing not to do is to ask a promoter for a set, then say you haven't got a demo ready yet but will get them one, don't get round to doing the demo, then ask them for a set next time you see them, and still haven't got your demo ready. Not good but it happens a lot...

Last edited:
Yep.. your demo should reflect you... not what you think someone would like you to play. Be different aswell.... as a promoter myself i cant think of anything worse than some guy giving me a demo of his and its exactly the same bullshit as every other up and coming DJ has given me..... ie.... end to end jump-up filled with every track thats been kained for the last 2 years... think out of the box a little...

Playing in a live enviroment is a whole different kettle of fish.... the biggest problems being that the sound systems are always different.... some will have the best monitoring speakers in the DJ booth but fukin shit bollocks sound system so you cant rinse it..... or you may just get it the other way round..... some places might not have monitors full stop.... and you literally mixing with whats cming out of the sound system... which usually runs a fraction of a second behind, a proper bitch to mix on!!!

anyway.... good luck mate... feel free to hit me up anytime...

I see where you're coming from. I like to mix everything and not go on a tangent of one sub-genre for too long. Most of the vinyl in my collection is older stuff I've fallen in love with since discovering DnB, along with all the awesome new stuff that's come out. I never thought about the whole technical issues that comes with playing live, but I think those challenges will help me become a better DJ. I'll definitely keep in touch man thanks.

I personally like it if a DJ has got 2 demo mixes, one more 'start of the night' and other more full on.
One thing not to do is to ask a promoter for a set, then say you haven't got a demo ready yet but will get them one, don't get round to doing the demo, then ask them for a set next time you see them, and still haven't got your demo ready. Not good but it happens a lot...

Good idea. Maybe I'll incorporate both situations into the demo--start steady then go into a harder direction and finish strong.
lol dude don't worry I'm definitely not going to pull the promotor's leg like that. I won't ask for a set at all, I'm just going to give her the demo and talk with her about the situation, then hope for the best.

I feel like I'm still learning a lot when I mix, and I feel like my style is evolving the more I listen to other people DJ and mix on my own. So, if this whole thing doesn't work out immediately, I know in time I'll be much better, and better prepared.

I see where you're coming from. I like to mix everything and not go on a tangent of one sub-genre for too long. Most of the vinyl in my collection is older stuff I've fallen in love with since discovering DnB, along with all the awesome new stuff that's come out. I never thought about the whole technical issues that comes with playing live, but I think those challenges will help me become a better DJ. I'll definitely keep in touch man thanks.

Good idea. Maybe I'll incorporate both situations into the demo--start steady then go into a harder direction and finish strong.
lol dude don't worry I'm definitely not going to pull the promotor's leg like that. I won't ask for a set at all, I'm just going to give her the demo and talk with her about the situation, then hope for the best.

I feel like I'm still learning a lot when I mix, and I feel like my style is evolving the more I listen to other people DJ and mix on my own. So, if this whole thing doesn't work out immediately, I know in time I'll be much better, and better prepared.

Seems like you got a good attitude.

Having all your previous mixes online / or myspace is good too, and you can just send the link as well as handing out cds. & doing a few diff 'themed' mixes / diff genres - Summery / Liquid / Dark / classics or whatever is good, cos promoters may be looking for a certain style to compliment a particular event or headliner.

So, after talking with a promoter and local dj at a couple of events, they want me to give them a demo. I'm wondering if I should create a mix that covers the full spectrum of dnb, or should I create a mix that's more for a party?

Also, any suggestions on playing in that kind of atmosphere? I've only been djing about 5 or so months and the most I've done is a house party. Something I'm worried about is that I tend to rely too much on touching the platter followed by syncing it in with the pitch control, rather than just using the pitch control after the track has already dropped and playing.

Thanks for the help guys, I love that we have a scene building up here in San Diego and I really want to be a part of that and make it that much better.

I can speak from experiance on this, when i did my 1st gig a couple of years ago, i also relied too much on touching the platter, and it didnt work for me, got me in trouble. Since then, i have learnt to just use the pitch and not touch the platter atall. Touching the platter 2 much on decks you havent mixed on before, could get u in trouble, it happened 2 me.

Sure it was hard at first to get used 2 the idea of only using the pitch, but my mixing was so much tighter once i had mastered it

Every1s different, but thats my opinion

Having all your previous mixes online / or myspace is good too, and you can just send the link as well as handing out cds. & doing a few diff 'themed' mixes / diff genres - Summery / Liquid / Dark / classics or whatever is good, cos promoters may be looking for a certain style to compliment a particular event or headliner.

I'll do this then. I just figured out how to record on my laptop with good quality (though my needles suck ass), so I have some catching up to do. Thanks brother.

What type of night is it ?

Play for the night and timeslot and then if your good enuf, people will start warming up for you in a few months !

What type of night is it ?

Play for the night and timeslot and then if your good enuf, people will start warming up for you in a few months !

The one I might be playing at next month is almost all liquid, so that should be easy. But, it seems it depends on the spot they're at. I'm hoping I get moved up after I get comfortable so I can show my true colours.

The one I might be playing at next month is almost all liquid, so that should be easy. But, it seems it depends on the spot they're at. I'm hoping I get moved up after I get comfortable so I can show my true colours.

Yeah I'm concerned about that too. Houston has no DNB scene and the one regular event is like all liquid and techstep. I do dancefloor and jump up so I've got no clue what to expect when I finally do a gig.

Finally making the swap from a PC / MIDI setup to CD decks and a real mixer only. I think this'll be my last step before I feel comfortable getting a gig.

Back
Top Bottom