Mailing Lists

moriaty

VIP Junglist
Right.
Ive always wondered bout how mailing lists work. Course im talking about record labels that send TP and promos to people. Just got a few questions here:

How do ya get ya self signed on one of them?

Is it for free or you pay a contribution every so on?

For the first one is obvious that yo need to be recognized as an artist, so the label would want you to play the tunes, but other than that what action (in terms of management ) would get you closer to getting a place in teh lists..
all the dogs that are in the circle shine some light to the outer massif

if anyone got any other simmilar questions share them with moi here:thumbsup:

A lot of labels have paid mailing lists. By far the best IMO is Formations. I think its about £75 for 6 months (may be wrong) but then you get all the release from Formation, 5HQ, New Id and Reformed!!!

I know Infrared and Technique definately do em, but they seem a bit shit in comparison as the price is about the same, and they hardly release anything compared to Formation!

fuck..didnt know you could pay for that..!!
ta for teh info lads. Few more questions pop up then:

Do ya get all releases by the label after you get on the list?

Do you get full releases or jus promos?

Do ya get albums and EPs as well as singles?

Do ya get the tunes sooner than the shops?

Any more labels that do mail then ?

Reinforced ? **drools**
Moving Shadow ? ?**even more**
Renagade Hardware ? ? ? **ohh...fuk it**
DSCI4 ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?**stop it now you moron....**

Do ya get all releases by the label after you get on the list? yes

Do you get full releases or jus promos? promos and tpz

Do ya get albums and EPs as well as singles? all

Do ya get the tunes sooner than the shops? yes, not by much though, depends on the label

Any more labels that do mail then ? soul-r

Reinforced ? **drools** dunno
Moving Shadow ? ?**even more** no pay one
Renagade Hardware ? ? ? **ohh...fuk it** no but thier promos in their shop are available pretty early
DSCI4 ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?**stop it now you moron....** no chance, bet ya trace has thought about it. might start up a campagin on the dsci4 board

underfire used to do one but they had real problems with getting the releases out

most of them only have limited spaces on the list so they only have to do one pressing

I think most bigger labels vary more in terms of the number of producers they have releasing tunes, which is why I'd never sign up for any. Dsci4 would be the only poss for me though.

I dunno, I am clueless as to how it all works. I really don't think you need to start a night though, because there are some DJs/producers here in Houston that don't have their own nights, but get sent all the dubs from the big producers.

It just takes getting your name known really, you don't even have to be world wide like some people seem to think. You just have to play on the fact that producers (for the most part) WANT their tunes played :) Do that, show some skill, and some professionalism...and I think you will start to slowly find your way in to the "inner circle" as they call it.

Labels will have a mailing list, as will distributors.

To get on these lists, you need to be very well known, or know the label direct.

Another way is to know individual producers and get CD's off em.

But.... DJ's make their living from having the latest, exclusive tracks, so they are all gonna try and protect what they have.

No one has the right to demand / play anyone elses track, thats the way it is, rightly or wrongly so.

mackie said:
Labels will have a mailing list, as will distributors.

To get on these lists, you need to be very well known, or know the label direct.

Another way is to know individual producers and get CD's off em.

But.... DJ's make their living from having the latest, exclusive tracks, so they are all gonna try and protect what they have.

No one has the right to demand / play anyone elses track, thats the way it is, rightly or wrongly so.

I agree and disagree with this. The part I don't really agree with is how a DJ makes his living. For the most part, at least here in the stats, the generaly crowd has no idea how old or new a tune is...they just want to dance like maniacs.

Over here, a DJ makes his living by making sure the crowd is jumpin...if he can do that, no one here (except for the select few other DJs and REALLY REALLY big DnB heads) cares if the track is two weeks old or two years old.

In fact, over here, its becoming almost taboo to fill your entire set with new tracks....we much prefer you play a nice mix of old favorites and new hotness.

Just some random thoughts from the other side of the pond :)

Calefaction said:
I agree and disagree with this. The part I don't really agree with is how a DJ makes his living. For the most part, at least here in the stats, the generaly crowd has no idea how old or new a tune is...they just want to dance like maniacs.

Over here, a DJ makes his living by making sure the crowd is jumpin...if he can do that, no one here (except for the select few other DJs and REALLY REALLY big DnB heads) cares if the track is two weeks old or two years old.

In fact, over here, its becoming almost taboo to fill your entire set with new tracks....we much prefer you play a nice mix of old favorites and new hotness.

Just some random thoughts from the other side of the pond :)

Yeah the states is sooooo much different thou !! What you are saying totally reflects the way Craze played at Global Gathering.. Not many Dubz were dropped. But technically he played a astounding set. And over there u have dj's makin it as dj's... here in the uk dnb scene i can count on one hand the dj's coz all of them have made a name djing from producing :lickface: Here U have to contribute hugely and I rekon thats the best way, ok we have sum panny dj's but we got better music ! :gimp: hehe jks

Mailing lists are a bitch to get on..... I know that when Ive rung up places like full cycle etc, they say people in my area are already gettin the t.p's, therefore they are representing that town / city. I know who they meant wen they said on the fone, and its a little unfair but oh well. U can send all the flyers and cd's u like but usually unless u know the producers theres not much hope! And like mackie said... u have to be well known, and being well known comes hand in hand with knowing producers im afraid.

I know people who spend their lives hunting records and sitting on the net for the next tp to pop up. And then they get it they are only playing out once or twice a month. Then are they actually gonna drop it in a set ?
:zest:

missrepresent said:
Yeah the states is sooooo much different thou !! What you are saying totally reflects the way Craze played at Global Gathering.. Not many Dubz were dropped. But technically he played a astounding set. And over there u have dj's makin it as dj's... here in the uk dnb scene i can count on one hand the dj's coz all of them have made a name djing from producing :lickface: Here U have to contribute hugely and I rekon thats the best way, ok we have sum panny dj's but we got better music ! :gimp: hehe jks

Mailing lists are a bitch to get on..... I know that when Ive rung up places like full cycle etc, they say people in my area are already gettin the t.p's, therefore they are representing that town / city. I know who they meant wen they said on the fone, and its a little unfair but oh well. U can send all the flyers and cd's u like but usually unless u know the producers theres not much hope! And like mackie said... u have to be well known, and being well known comes hand in hand with knowing producers im afraid.

I know people who spend their lives hunting records and sitting on the net for the next tp to pop up. And then they get it they are only playing out once or twice a month. Then are they actually gonna drop it in a set ?
:zest:

It is totally different, you are right....and its very fascinating at the same time, how the same music can form around too very divergent scenes. And yes, Craze probably represented what a typical US DnB DJ will do, mixed a bit of the old with a bit of the new :) I'm not saying either way is right, I love to hear new tunes back to back...but I also love to hear the old stuff :)

It's actually good in my opinion that two different styles of track selection (and mixing, as alot of US DJ's are starting to mix really smooth, almost like a trance or house DJ, rather then bassline mix) have formed. Variety is the spice of life and all that :)

Lets face a harsh reality too, I think a lot of the reason US DnB DJs have chosen their track selection style to be like it is, is simply because we don't get the plates as fast as you guys do. BBS (Breakbeat Science) is the first place to get most plates, and its ussually a week or two behind the big UK shops, and even then gets very limited copies of the really big releases. Not complaining about it, it really doesn't bother me, but it does help to foster a different track selection style.

hey u

ohhhhhhhhh yes
And its stayin British mate.... (waves my union jack) U guys have everyting.. u gotta give our little island a break... we shall hold on to our dnb STRONG
whoop
;o)

You gotta admit u do have it all... but really the uk dj's have just as many problems gettin vinyl than what u do !!

Honest !!

Re: hey u

missrepresent said:
ohhhhhhhhh yes
And its stayin British mate.... (waves my union jack) U guys have everyting.. u gotta give our little island a break... we shall hold on to our dnb STRONG
whoop
;o)

You gotta admit u do have it all... but really the uk dj's have just as many problems gettin vinyl than what u do !!

Honest !!

I have no problem with that :) You guys invented DnB, you deserve to keep it close to your vest. Gotta give props where props is due :) I am not asking for records to get shipped to the US faster, I am just saying I think the speed we receive records has influenced the overall American track selection style.

And, for the most part...American DnB heads enjoy the sound, but aren't really in to the names and producers of each individual tune, or when it came out. They just want to hear sick tunes.

Back
Top Bottom